SwedeSpeed P1 (C30, S40, V50, C70) HID Retrofit Index
- SKBOWE Plug-and-Play harness for P1 HID conversion (you are here)
- Background info, general questions, and share your HID setup <- Non-SKBOWE HID install issues/discussion/WMM kills
- KBOWE How-To (Original 2009 Version) build your own PWM filter <- if you want to build your own
- Original 2009 investigation and technical discussion on S40 HID issues <- Technical/Engineering discussion on the CEM, PWM, WMM, and alternate designs
- ForceFed's E46 D2S Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit guide
- Rewire OEM Bi-Xenon headlights to work on the halogen harness
- DRL Disable Alone not enough for safe Aftermarket HID retrofits
- LizardOfBodom's EU/RHD Bosch ("E46") Bi-Xenon replica retrofitting writeup + angle eyes + running lights
This thread is for discussion of the SKBOWE PWM filter
, a plug-and-play error harness that I developed to help the P1 community with HID retrofits. If you have a question that's not related to the SKBOWE, please see if it fits in one of the other HID threads (above) before posting here or starting a new one.
Lets face it, the OEM halogen headlights in our cars suck. We should all know by now the issues with HID retrofits
, and that the DIY solution is not trivial
since it takes some soldering and hacks up the CEM harness. I have been PMed dozens of times over the years asking for a better way...
So... I found something really sweet
If you are interested in a commercial, plug-and-play (no cut wires!) solution that was designed specifically for Volvo P1 cars (S40, V50, C30, C70) check out:
https://www.skbowe.com/ - Shipping Now! Limited Quantity Remaining
Orders as of October 2017 (82 total): boulderc30, V50toS40, thefisch33, rhags138, persianelf, nhiggins, S40R-by-design, walky_talky20, taskmule, viggen, Puddlepirate56, chrisasdf, Noswal, beachnut, stevien1, evy0311, MJC70, MCRDSM-S40, hq_, et al... *
* Don't see your username here? PM me with your SN#
Click here to see SKBOWE Installs!!
- Prototype: #001A (test) #002 (mine),
#003 (display unit/open box)
- Batch 1: #004-#028 CLOSED & SHIPPED (JUL 2017)
- Batch 2: #029-#050 CLOSED & SHIPPED (DEC 2017)
- Batch 3: #051-#075 CLOSED & SHIPPED (FEB 2018)
- Batch 4: #075-#100 - Shipping Now (OCT 2018)
(007) - Install
(024) - Install + writeup
SKBOWEs have shipped all over...
For those of you looking for projectors, I put together a reference sheet to help you identify compatible Bosch AL 3-inch "E46" projectors in auctions or at salvage yards:
See the full resolution PDF here: https://www.theeshadow.com/files/volvo/e46/guide/al_projector_guide_v1_web.pdf
You want to look for "Gen 2" projectors, they have the best optics and the wiring is simple. Gen 1 requires a solenoid controller
for bi-xenon functionality. All projectors with black plastic rings will fit D2S, the ones with octagon-shaped bulb holders might need a simple modification (bending a small tab) to allow them to take D2S bulbs.
If junkyard hunting and eBay stalking aren't your thing, Nick has been nice enough to hold a few for us:
matched sets of gen 2 projectors... PM if you're interested.
Here are some projector beam patterns
<a href="https://www.skbowe.com/a/2017/08/01/al-projector-e46-identification-chart-selection-guide-pdf/" target="_blank"><img width="683" height="1024" src="https://www.skbowe.com/a/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/al_projectors_hid_cutoffs_sixup_montauge-683x1024.jpg" class="attachment-large size-large" alt="" srcset="https://www.skbowe.com/a/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/al_projectors_hid_cutoffs_sixup_montauge-683x1024.jpg 683w, https://www.skbowe.com/a/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/al_projectors_hid_cutoffs_sixup_montauge-200x300.jpg 200w, https://www.skbowe.com/a/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/al_projectors_hid_cutoffs_sixup_montauge-768x1152.jpg 768w, https://www.skbowe.com/a/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/al_projectors_hid_cutoffs_sixup_montauge-1200x1800.jpg 1200w" sizes="(max-width: 709px) 85vw, (max-width: 909px) 67vw, (max-width: 984px) 61vw, (max-width: 1362px) 45vw, 600px"></a>
SKBOWE install is plug-and-play:
as of May 2017: 87 responses, 82 on board.
We need a reliable manufacturer / distributor for high volume manufacturing of a specialized error canceling circuit designed specifically for the Volvo P1 series. A complete validated production ready design is available. If you are a vendor and are interested in taking on this project, please contact me