SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a stock tune, who knows the proper shift points?

For those of you who don't know, you look at an average dyno curve, and you choose the RPM's in which you would use the most average horsepower.

If nobody knows those shift points, who's got a dyno sheet of a stock car they can post?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts

For those of you who don't know, you look at an average dyno curve, and you choose the RPM's in which you would use the most average horsepower.

If nobody knows those shift points, who's got a dyno sheet of a stock car they can post?
I'm really not too sure as I've never dyno'd before but perhaps this thread would be of help to you: HERE YA GO :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
This wouldn't be a bad idea to know. I tend to shift around 3k on third, 2.5 in 2nd and 1st.
Depending on the day :p....

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This wouldn't be a bad idea to know. I tend to shift around 3k on third, 2.5 in 2nd and 1st.
Depending on the day :p....
I meant for like, a drag race lol

I'm glad you're so gas conscious.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
For "normal" day to day driving, 3800-4000 (1st and 2nd gears) is about perfect for the smoothest shifts.
For your optimum shift point for fastest acceleration... about 5700-5800 is usually the best (stock motor, not flashed).

·
Registered
343 Posts
For "normal" day to day driving, 3800-4000 (1st and 2nd gears) is about perfect for the smoothest shifts.
:facepalm: This maybe why I think my shifting isn't the "smoothest" Thanks for the info JRL!
Are you all shifting that high :eek:?
Any ideas what the GT's shift at for "normal daily driving"?

Sorry to pirate the "racing" theme thread

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
My GT shifts typically no higher than 3,500 when accelerating at a decent clip. Like most automatics it tries to get into the highest gear as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I shift at 3kRPM and have it perfectly smooth. Do what works for you the best.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a fun weekend, I pulled a 1/4 mile time of 14.1 on the stopwatch via passenger in the car.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

whatever the are, the computer will always shift better.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Registered
11,936 Posts

I compared G2X telemetry from a track day at BIR which has a near mile-long straight, so you get 3rd-4th and 4th-5th shifts (about 131MPH at the end). I tried shifting at various points from 5500 to 6500 where the soft rev-limiter kicks in and I got the best ET down the straight with the 6500 RPM shifts. Just make sure you shift before the limiter. Closer you can get the better. Of course it's way easier to get close in 3rd and 4th than 1st or 2nd!

·
Registered
170 Posts
With 94 octane in and octane booster, or 98 octane which is ridiculously expensive, I hit the rev limiter at 7200. The car has power all the way up so I can't see any reason to short shift. Don't know who did the tune but it has so many variables I can hardly keep up.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I know, but the Geartronic will always outshift a stick....computer is faster and knows more than you do.
For straight line acceleration yes, but not for a trackday where you have to slow and turn...

·
Registered
501 Posts
For straight line acceleration yes, but not for a trackday where you have to slow and turn...
GT in +/- manual mode works well on windy roads, downshifts are fairly quick

1 - 20 of 28 Posts