SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned lots of new cars and my favorite ones were either too sporty and not practical like my Scion FRS or my Mazda RX8 or my Mazda Speed3 or my Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. I always liked the sport wagons like the VW Passat GLX wagon I had and I always wanted to have an Audi A4 wagon. I finally decided to buy a new sport wagon so I checked out the V60 first. I like the car but I found the front seat did not go back far enough for me so I ruled it out and went to the Audi dealer and tried out a 2015 Allroad and liked it. So I went home and wrote up my proposal to buy the Allroad. I had 2 cars to trade in, a 2014 Mercedes C250 coupe and a 2012 Suzuki SX4 Crossover. I already new what they would give me for the Mercedes so I had to bring in my Suzuki so I went up the next morning ready to buy the Audi Allroad. I got there shortly after they opened so I had to hang around for someone to help me since my salesman wasn't there. Finally the person who had to appraise my Suzuki came over and insulted my Suzuki, walked out looked at it, came back in and insulted my Suzuki some more and then told me that my salesman would be in in the afternoon and to come back. I left, not to happy, and decided to go test drive an R-design V60. NOW did you know that the drivers seat in the R-design moves back further than in the other V60s? The salesman and sales manager/owner were both surprised. Before I bought the RD V60 I checked with another Audi Dealer to see if they would do my deal. As I attempted to propose my offer the salesman kept interrupting me asking me all kinds of questions about the other Audi I was looking at. I eventually hung up on him. All I wanted was a yes or no answer about the car they had. They called me right back and said they would do the deal. So Volvo can thank Audi for me buying the Volvo.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Enjoy the car and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hmm, I read, Volvo should thank the V60 RD for winning them a sale. ;-) You won't be disappointed in your decision. Trust me, that Audi would have you yearning for more power, better gas mileage, and less trips to the shop. Congrats and welcome to the club! Post some pics soon. :beer:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have owned lots of new cars and my favorite ones were either too sporty and not practical like my Scion FRS or my Mazda RX8 or my Mazda Speed3 or my Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. I always liked the sport wagons like the VW Passat GLX wagon I had and I always wanted to have an Audi A4 wagon. I finally decided to buy a new sport wagon so I checked out the V60 first. I like the car but I found the front seat did not go back far enough for me so I ruled it out and went to the Audi dealer and tried out a 2015 Allroad and liked it. So I went home and wrote up my proposal to buy the Allroad. I had 2 cars to trade in, a 2014 Mercedes C250 coupe and a 2012 Suzuki SX4 Crossover. I already new what they would give me for the Mercedes so I had to bring in my Suzuki so I went up the next morning ready to buy the Audi Allroad. I got there shortly after they opened so I had to hang around for someone to help me since my salesman wasn't there. Finally the person who had to appraise my Suzuki came over and insulted my Suzuki, walked out looked at it, came back in and insulted my Suzuki some more and then told me that my salesman would be in in the afternoon and to come back. I left, not to happy, and decided to go test drive an R-design V60. NOW did you know that the drivers seat in the R-design moves back further than in the other V60s? The salesman and sales manager/owner were both surprised. Before I bought the RD V60 I checked with another Audi Dealer to see if they would do my deal. As I attempted to propose my offer the salesman kept interrupting me asking me all kinds of questions about the other Audi I was looking at. I eventually hung up on him. All I wanted was a yes or no answer about the car they had. They called me right back and said they would do the deal. So Volvo can thank Audi for me buying the Volvo.
Ha ha, thanks for sharing this. I like the "German converts" the most! :beer:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Audi all road is slow and v60 Rd is much better looking and faster so i wouldn't even consider an Audi over it unless they made an S4 avant

You did the thing, now lets see some pics

On side note, you cant blame them on the Suzuki, they probably had to auction the car so they probably couldnt give you decent trade in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the Volvo and Wagon Family!

I finally saw a brand new Audi Allroad last night and I caught him checking out my V60RD with a perplexed look at what he was looking at and then glancing back at his car, then walking away. Other than the cool headlamps the new A4/Allroad's have, I think it's a pretty boring car to look at. Maybe the reason why you noticed there was more leg room on the R-Design was because the seats are more bucket and sit back a bit further over the standard seat in the T5e/T5AWD trims.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm a German convert as well :) When I was car shopping, Volvo was not even on my radar, until I drove by the dealership and saw one, test drove it and fell in love.

Considering the price point, I can get everything that I want for at least 5-10K less than a German rival with the same power or less. It was pretty easy to make my decision. Now, I'm on my second one. I didn't even consider the Audi nor the BMW 3 series wagon, I still think the S60/V60 are the best looking out there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few years ago I was excited about getting a BMW 328xi wagon but the local dealer had only one and before they would show me the wagon they kept pushing the X3 and X5. Finally as I was leaving they offered to show me the wagon which they had just given it to the service department to use as a loaner and already had a few thousand miles on it. In addition to the Audi, and Volvo I was going to look at the new BMW 328D xi with a diesel but it was sold the day I went down to see it, go figure. I hate it when I fall for the bait. But they had one other that was gas and loaded up and many thousands of dollars more. I do like the Volvo the best overall. The V60 in red is a real eye catcher which I could of had, but I got the white. I also like the color of the wheels, the brake dust doesn't show up on them. I do believe that the Audi will hold it's value better than the Volvo which was a concern for me and if you Google Volvo's life expectancy in the US to some people it's only a year or two. The year to date sales are off -8.2% for the same period last year.

·
Registered
613 Posts
A few years ago I was excited about getting a BMW 328xi wagon but the local dealer had only one and before they would show me the wagon they kept pushing the X3 and X5. Finally as I was leaving they offered to show me the wagon which they had just given it to the service department to use as a loaner and already had a few thousand miles on it. In addition to the Audi, and Volvo I was going to look at the new BMW 328D xi with a diesel but it was sold the day I went down to see it, go figure. I hate it when I fall for the bait. But they had one other that was gas and loaded up and many thousands of dollars more. I do like the Volvo the best overall. The V60 in red is a real eye catcher which I could of had, but I got the white. I also like the color of the wheels, the brake dust doesn't show up on them. I do believe that the Audi will hold it's value better than the Volvo which was a concern for me and if you Google Volvo's life expectancy in the US to some people it's only a year or two. The year to date sales are off -8.2% for the same period last year.
Indeed Volvo resale value seems to be lacking versus competitors but if you aren't planning to trade the vehicle in within 3-5 years it's not too big of a deal, then again I'm partial to Volvo and will be keeping my new S60 for years. I'm not sure if you are; doesn't seem like it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not me.
After 13 years of Audi's and a hemorrhaging wallet. I was ready to pull the trigger on an Acura. Moments before that mistake my son mentions how much he enjoyed his Volvo AWD rental while in Denver.
The rest is history.....one short test drive in an R-Design and I was ready to sign pretty much anything. As an added benefit it was cheaper by far than anything else in its' class.
I have absolutely NO regrets.
Enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm a German convert as well :) When I was car shopping, Volvo was not even on my radar, until I drove by the dealership and saw one, test drove it and fell in love.

Considering the price point, I can get everything that I want for at least 5-10K less than a German rival with the same power or less. It was pretty easy to make my decision. Now, I'm on my second one. I didn't even consider the Audi nor the BMW 3 series wagon, I still think the S60/V60 are the best looking out there.
Completely agree with everything above. My story is exactly the same, except my Volvo is a sedan. :thumbup:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Did you go to the dealers in Nashua? We've purchased many cars from both, haven't had any issues. As mentioned above maybe they didn't want to turn around a Subaru?

I think that A4 Allroad is awesome looking, but crazy expensive and really small inside. The A6 Allroad was a much nicer size. Glad you're happy with the V60.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the dealers are in Nashua, I think the difference was the first time I drove in I was driving my Mercedes-Benz and I was treated with a little more respect. The second time I went into the Audi dealer my salesman wasn't there and the person who, I won't say helped me, saw me drive in in a Suzuki. He insulted my Suzuki twice and told me to come back when my salesman would be in. In other words he was telling me that I was wasting his time so go away. Later that day my salesman did call me at home and said they would take my offer, which was the same offer for the Volvo and the other Audi that was in Shrewsbury. All 3 dealers accepted my offer in the end, so I was't being un-realistic with what I wanted for my trades. Their loss and my gain. I do like the RD V60 better.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A few years ago I was excited about getting a BMW 328xi wagon...I do believe that the Audi will hold it's value better...
You might be surprised! I checked the 36/48/60-month Residual Values per ALG (Automotive Lease Guide) and here's what I found-

2015 Audi ALLROAD Premium- 36-months- 49%, 48-months- 39% and 60-months- 32% (% of original MSRP)
The numbers take a dive with higher trim levels- Premium Plus- 47/38/30% and Prestige is 45/36/29%

2015 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon- 53/45/37%

2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design AWD- 54/44/36%

The BWM and Volvo both kick the Audi's butt in resale value....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome to Volvo! The V60 RD isn't perfect (cargo space, balky trans), but I found it to be the best-available combo of comfort, grunt, and value.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congrats on the new V60. I too test drove the Allroad and to me it was slower than the T5-DriveE, more front heavy and the rear end is looking a little dated. The Audi Sales experience was really poor and that was with more than one dealer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The RX8 was the best handling car I have ever owned, and the FRS was a very close second and the Mercedes C250 Coupe a very close 3rd. All 3 cars are rear wheel drive. The RX8 I had was automatic which was rated at 197hp, 2 650CC chambers for a total of 1.3L displacement and the car was very quick from a rolling start. The wankle engine is a very high revving engine with all of it's horse power near the red line. With an automatic you couldn't rev the engine up before take off so the car had a hesitation worse than any turbo lag I ever had even getting on the highway, before it would move, but when it did it was quick. The FRS is a 2L 4 rated at 200 hp with no turbo and a decent amount of torque. The MB has a 1.8L 4 with a turbo and is rated at 201hp and quite a bit of torque. The MB has 2 different size tires on it. The rears are 245s and the fronts were 225s so it stuck to the road very well with no body roll. The RX8's Wankel is mounted very low and behind the front suspension which give it a very low center of gravity for great handling. The FRS uses the Subaru 2L boxer 4 which also gives the car a very low center of gravity for really good handling.

The MB cost quite a bit more than the RX8 and the FRS so it isn't really fair to say I liked the MB the best, so between the RX8 and the FRS with automatics I like the FRS the best, but I think the RX8 with the 6sp and 212hp and a higher redline might be different.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The RX8 was the best handling car I have ever owned, and the FRS was a very close second and the Mercedes C250 Coupe a very close 3rd. All 3 cars are rear wheel drive. The RX8 I had was automatic which was rated at 197hp, 2 650CC chambers for a total of 1.3L displacement and the car was very quick from a rolling start. The wankle engine is a very high revving engine with all of it's horse power near the red line. With an automatic you couldn't rev the engine up before take off so the car had a hesitation worse than any turbo lag I ever had even getting on the highway, before it would move, but when it did it was quick. The FRS is a 2L 4 rated at 200 hp with no turbo and a decent amount of torque. The MB has a 1.8L 4 with a turbo and is rated at 201hp and quite a bit of torque. The MB has 2 different size tires on it. The rears are 245s and the fronts were 225s so it stuck to the road very well with no body roll. The RX8's Wankel is mounted very low and behind the front suspension which give it a very low center of gravity for great handling. The FRS uses the Subaru 2L boxer 4 which also gives the car a very low center of gravity for really good handling.

The MB cost quite a bit more than the RX8 and the FRS so it isn't really fair to say I liked the MB the best, so between the RX8 and the FRS with automatics I like the FRS the best, but I think the RX8 with the 6sp and 212hp and a higher redline might be different.
Nice review, cool collection of cars you have had there. :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts

It's very true... for the same performance you must compare to a 335i and the price is waaaay less on the S60. I don't remember exactly but my 07 335 was somewhere around 46k... today I believe the same one is 50 and change... I paid 40k for my s60 RD! no way is it worth $10k more imo...

as much as I loved my q5, I really didn't like the a3 or a4 in comparison and the S60 RD crushes an a4 imo in every category... they are so plain looking next to the Rebel Blue too! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts