SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a new heater core in my '98. Easy install. But the o-rings evidently didn't seal properly because once I poured coolant into the system, it leaked into the footwell of the car. Who in their right mind would use o-rings anyway? Why not hoses and clamps like the 240 and 740?

Anyway, tried repositioning and it still leaked. I finally gave up for the night. I may attack it again tomorrow morning when I'm in a better mood.

Anyone else have this problem of the o-rings not seating properly when doing a heater core R&R?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Never had a problem with them. If you put them on the metal pipes and install the Torx screw that holds the core to the pipes they should seal right up without getting pinched.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Make sure you're using OEM o-rings. Aftermarkets can leak.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I didn't have any problems at all. As everyone else mentioned you most likely have the wrong o-rings. Make sure you're in a better mood before you re-attack it.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Only problem I've had is an old o-ring getting stuck inside. Maybe something else to double check.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it all apart again. Made a huge mess in the cabin (Clean up on aisle 3!)

Anyway, turned out it wasn't the o-rings (yes, they're OE). It was the damn torx screw that holds it all together. Evidently the small brass threaded "nut" that's pressed into the plastic piece that holds the two aluminum tubes pulled out.

I'm tempted now to bypass the heater core and plug up the lines on the engine side. I never drive this car in the winter anyway, and I'm so tired of this stupid design that has so many things that can go wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Idiot? Heater core? Try owning an audi.

My mechanic did my dad's heater core on his 98 v70 and didn't clip the rings on right for the hoses and they fell off. I had to drive out to fix it for him. He had already called a tow truck but I just reconnected them and they're fine. I don't know what he did but whatever it was it didn't work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just did a 96 850 with the same core and I chose a Swedish Car Parts alternative which is not economical for Aussies anymore with over $50 postage from Volvonest eBay seller. The supplied O rings leaked of course (I was warned) however one of those u beaut "every o ring in the pack" kits solved the problem and some nice fat juicy ones took their place. By the way no need to spill coolant in the cabin when releasing the torx screw. Just undo both hoses at the block and blow hard and the contents of the core will spray out making it only a trickle getting released when the torx screw gets undone.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts