SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was chatting with XM and was able to get Travel Link set up for my new XC40. They told me XM Traffic wasn't available for my car... which I found unusual. Anyone here have either? I wanted to get them both during the trial period.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
So I was chatting with XM and was able to get Travel Link set up for my new XC40. They told me XM Traffic wasn't available for my car... which I found unusual. Anyone here have either? I wanted to get them both during the trial period.
I have INRIX and XM Traffic on XC90. I prefer INRIX since XM Traffic seemed delayed to the point of recommending detours that proved to be out-of-date. I drove parallel on a higher road and saw that there was no traffic delays on the original route. That was back in Summer 2016 and I have stayed on INRIX. Maybe things have improved.

I like XM Travel Link - mainly for weather, weather maps and radar. Travel Link and Weather seem to be reasonably good. Their XM Aviation Weather was great but does not seem to be an option and maybe overkill for the roadway.

Not sure if this is helpful since I am not in a XC40 but hopefully it gives you some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
543 Posts
I always found that the XM traffic is too delayed to be reliable. Wife still has it in her car. While the Sensus traffic (forget the vendor name) has some delay, it is much more reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I got my 19XC40 last December- XM told me I have to get my car radio replaced if I wanted to get their XM Traffic. ?? Not... The XC40 already comes with built-in traffic thru Sensus and I do have live traffic even today after 7 months owning it. XM radio is all that I have-for now- With Android and Apple CarPlay, there is no need to have XM radio..

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
When I got my 19XC40 last December- XM told me I have to get my car radio replaced if I wanted to get their XM Traffic. ?? Not... The XC40 already comes with built-in traffic thru Sensus and I do have live traffic even today after 7 months owning it. XM radio is all that I have-for now- With Android and Apple CarPlay, there is no need to have XM radio..
Great investigative results and awareness of the facts. XM Radio is independent of XM Traffic, XM Travel and XM Weather (Aviation). They have different sales and support channels.

It is not too surprising that XM Radio or even XM Traffic do not know about the various vehicle capabilities because Sirius XM is about selling and renewing paid subscriptions. They do not seem to be aware of the complimentary plans at least in US that some manufacturers such as Volvo have negotiated with Sirius XM, like the Sirius XM Traffic and Travel. I learned this with my own experience - as I learned to ignore the message in Settings->Navigation ? -> ... that suggests you need to buy a subscription for XM Traffic. Check with your dealer or Volvo Customer Care first as offerings may change from MY to MY and even model to model.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have only Travel Link in my xc40. I am content to use INRX via the Sensus system.

I am not sure that xmtraffic will even work??? I'd be really curious of anyone else has this working.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have only Travel Link in my xc40. I am content to use INRX via the Sensus system.

I am not sure that xmtraffic will even work??? I'd be really curious of anyone else has this working.
How do you get Travel Link to work? I called XM customer service (I wish they had reps in the US) and they told me they pushed a signal to the car. I checked my settings and the menus said I'm not subscribed and have to call XM.

Also what is INRX? Are you paying for that service?

BTW, I'm still in my 3 month intro program with XM.

·
Registered
148 Posts
During my 3 month trial Travel Link worked. After the trial period, it has stopped working. I never discussed it with SiriusXM. I do subscribe to radio, All Access. If I need to know what the weather is, I look out the windshield. And the indicator in the gauge cluster tells me the temperature.

Seriously, though, I activated the 6 month trial of the AT&T sim, and continue to pay $10 a month for 1 GB of data a month. That gets me access to real time traffic information, and other stuff like the weather app, Pandora, TuneIn, etc.

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
648 Posts
Traffic (INRIX) is available for FREE, provided the built-in modem is enabled. You don't even need to pay for the AT&T service if you don't want to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How do you get Travel Link to work? I called XM customer service (I wish they had reps in the US) and they told me they pushed a signal to the car. I checked my settings and the menus said I'm not subscribed and have to call XM.

Also what is INRX? Are you paying for that service?

BTW, I'm still in my 3 month intro program with XM.
When my 3-month trial was over, I just called SiriusXM, said I liked this feature, and they said they activate it for me for $0.99/month.

They also asked me if I wanted their traffic service but INRX is the provider Volvo uses for their RTTI.

Tip: after your 6-month AT&T modem trial ends, you can still get RTTI, weather, and download maps without and active sub. However, Spotify, etc,, will only work if you're paying.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seriously, though, I activated the 6 month trial of the AT&T sim, and continue to pay $10 a month for 1 GB of data a month. That gets me access to real time traffic information, and other stuff like the weather app, Pandora, TuneIn, etc.

Ok.. I'm seriously not informed... how do I get a 6 month trial on the data? I've had my XC40 for a month now.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Ok.. I'm seriously not informed... how do I get a 6 month trial on the data? I've had my XC40 for a month now.
Go to https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/connected-car/volvo-sensus-connect/volvo-models.html and register. You will need the number on the sim in the vehicle's modem. Very easy to set up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When my 3-month trial was over, I just called SiriusXM, said I liked this feature, and they said they activate it for me for $0.99/month.

They also asked me if I wanted their traffic service but INRX is the provider Volvo uses for their RTTI.

Tip: after your 6-month AT&T modem trial ends, you can still get RTTI, weather, and download maps without and active sub. However, Spotify, etc,, will only work if you're paying.
I just leased a 2019 S60 T6 but came across this thread when searching for Travel Link here. Is Travel Link supposed to be included in the 3 month Sirius All Access trial? When I contacted Sirius to activate it they said Travel Link was NOT included in the trial period. Does anyone know if that's accurate? I'm in California if that makes any difference. Also, they were happy to quote me a monthly "discounted" rate of $4.78 but wouldn't budge when I mentioned that I knew of subscribers getting the TL at $.99/month. Did you have to go through any hoops for that, or maybe just keep calling until you got a cooperative agent? Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I just leased a 2019 S60 T6 but came across this thread when searching for Travel Link here. Is Travel Link supposed to be included in the 3 month Sirius All Access trial? When I contacted Sirius to activate it they said Travel Link was NOT included in the trial period. Does anyone know if that's accurate? I'm in California if that makes any difference. Also, they were happy to quote me a monthly "discounted" rate of $4.78 but wouldn't budge when I mentioned that I knew of subscribers getting the TL at $.99/month. Did you have to go through any hoops for that, or maybe just keep calling until you got a cooperative agent? Thanks for any guidance.
Sirius All Access is for the Radio (Sirius XM Radio) only.

Sirius Travel Link is totally separate. It was (at least used to be) free for a complimentary 4-year-period on prior (selected) models and markets - at least MY16 XC90s.

If you are not finding the icon on the bottom of Sensus after you have swiped from right to left (to the application page), you might call Volvo Customer Care to see if there was a change and/or why the Travel Link icon is not appearing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I see the icon, but when each feature (traffic, weather etc) says "subscription required". I called Sirius who wanted $4.78 (?) to activate all the Traffic Link apps but I've passed so far given that there seems to be some evidence here that a 4 yr subscription is included while others say they've paid as little as $.99/month! Not a huge deal actually....not sure how much I'd use it given the other options for the same info (Apple Car play etc.).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I see the icon, but when each feature (traffic, weather etc) says "subscription required". I called Sirius who wanted $4.78 (?) to activate all the Traffic Link apps but I've passed so far given that there seems to be some evidence here that a 4 yr subscription is included while others say they've paid as little as $.99/month! Not a huge deal actually....not sure how much I'd use it given the other options for the same info (Apple Car play etc.).
The $0.99/month (usually $1.99/month) is for travel link only. It sounds like they're wanting you to also subscribe to their traffic services. I have read that the RTTI through Volvo is better than the legacy traffic via SXM.

Ask them to activate travel link only, which is your weather, fuel prices, sports, movies.

TBH, while I thought I'd use travel link more, I don't. Volvo's weather app seems to do me just fine.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The $0.99/month (usually $1.99/month) is for travel link only. It sounds like they're wanting you to also subscribe to their traffic services. I have read that the RTTI through Volvo is better than the legacy traffic via SXM.

Ask them to activate travel link only, which is your weather, fuel prices, sports, movies.

TBH, while I thought I'd use travel link more, I don't. Volvo's weather app seems to do me just fine.
Where do I find the volvo weather app? I didn't even know that was available

1 - 18 of 18 Posts