SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as we have had two batches of P* cars delivered.

The second batch have grooved front discs, just curious if anyone knows if any other changes made to these cars with the grooved discs?

Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
I believe the term you are looking for is "slotted" disks... And I'm impressed that they are spec'ing those. My slotted & cross-drilled rotors on my '05 V70R much improved wet/snow braking.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I believe the term you are looking for is "slotted" disks... And I'm impressed that they are spec'ing those. My slotted & cross-drilled rotors on my '05 V70R much improved wet/snow braking.
How much are the replacement rings? I have Brembo GT kit and the backing plate for the P* fits, it looks like the P* rotor is only a 3mm radius difference. Well Brembo wants close to $500 a ring replacement costs. I'm thinking of seeing if I can fit the P* rotors if they are cheaper.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We do call them grooved on the other side of the pond, same as manifolds/headers. Same same though!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I now have the new slotted rotors. Replaced under warranty after 11k miles.
What was the issue that got the front rotors replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
950 Posts
What does warped mean.

If you got the new slotted discs, does that mean they already used the non slotted discs and there are no more in stock?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
What do you call discs (not disks ;) ) with debilitating grooves in them caused by dirt or small stones?
Or Volvo branded brake pads disintegrating. It's called a warranty replacement.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had issues with stones getting trapped in there. This must have had something to cause them prematurely break down.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I had issues with stones getting trapped in there. This must have had something to cause them prematurely break down.
There was no evidence of debris in my pads. The pad material itself was causing the grooves.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had to have 2 service appointments in one week to remove trapped stones. This required removing the wheel and caliper.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
P50GT, to be clear for everyone that was when your rear Volvo rotors had those disintegrating Volvo pads, instead of having the Polestar spec'd Brembo pads.

JAM2, this was your front Brembo rotors that were warped. Did Volvo provide any possible reasons on why the Brembo rotors got warped at such low mileage?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The front rotors were warped, which is where the rocks kept getting trapped. There was one point where they caught late, and I almost went through an automated parking gate. After this occurrence, 2 weeks later, they started squeaking, then grinding. I need to look at my rear pads to see if they were switched to the brembo pads during this visit.

·
Registered
950 Posts
P50GT, to be clear for everyone that was when your rear Volvo rotors had those disintegrating Volvo pads, instead of having the Polestar spec'd Brembo pads.

JAM2, this was your front Brembo rotors that were warped. Did Volvo provide any possible reasons on why the Brembo rotors got warped at such low mileage?
Polestar quoted, the Volvonamed rear pads are exactly the same like the Brembonamed ones. I have the Volvopads and drove 8 laps on the NOS without any problems whatsoever. P50GTs pads must have had some defect.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts