SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm kicking the dirt around trying to decide on mods, I am wondering, who has the Evolve ECU and exhaust combo. Evolve say about 50 HP gain.

I've always been a little skeptical when it comes to performance claims from the aftermarket. Who thinks these are accurate figures?

Seattle gang, which dealer is the most mod friendly?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (flybynight)

I have the 93 and cat back - can't say I've dynoed it., but all who have driven before AND after noticed the difference for sure - much better than stock.

RKelly will tell you BSR is better though

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

I think nearly every ECU tune out there results in a net 30 to 35 hp gain. Any horsepower gain beyond that with ONLY software is a bit suspicious to me.

Others can correct me if my over-generalized statement is wrong.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (blf)

Quote, originally posted by blf »
RKelly will tell you BSR is better though

Evolve ECU will make your car faster for sure. Doug's car is definitely faster with Evolve ECU, DP and Exh.

But what will you drive while the ECU is in the mail? What will you drive when Volvo releases an ECU update? What will you drive when VIDA accidently overwrites your ECU flash? What will you drive when you want to go to CA and can't purchase 93 octane?

If you are not getting a DP, BSR is DEFINITELY the way to go. If you are doing a DP, then I would look to Evolve, IPD or RICA.

Per Scott, IPD at least is pursuing a softloader option. George said RICA is as well. Evolve has decided it isn't worth their time to pressure Powerchips. But doug's car is definitely faster than stock. Of course, my friends car is even faster, and he just plugged BSR in, and in 4min 28 seconds, car was tuned and ready to go, not a single hiccup. Will let you know if it switches back to stock as easy, he keeps his PPC in his glove box.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? ("R" Kelly)

All good points Kelly !

I guess it did not make that much of a differenece to me - my dealer is totally aware of what I do to my car, I know I'm the exception to the rule.

Recent rev limiter issues and the stories I've heard about Bo - turned me off I guess

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (blf)

Recent rev limiter issues

What rev limiter issues? Is reving to 7100 if you want an issue? MASH was having an issue with his, but he has an automatic.

and the stories I've heard about Bo - turned me off I guess

Bo is irrelevant. You can get your BSR PPC very quickly from http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com for $829.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Quote, originally posted by flybynight »
As I'm kicking the dirt around trying to decide on mods, I am wondering, who has the Evolve ECU and exhaust combo. Evolve say about 50 HP gain.

I've always been a little skeptical when it comes to performance claims from the aftermarket. Who thinks these are accurate figures?

Kris, I believe Sandberg NW Volvo sells IPD products, including the ECU. Depending on the warranty issues, I think there is potential for the Seattle R-Bunch to purchase a number of the ECUs. It checked into this about a year ago, but the warranty issue was a major concern for many.

If you are able to work out the warranty issue, it might be a go for many of us.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (Lead Foot 60)

Remember though, if you have a Geartronic and you want the torque option, then you're down to IPD and RICA...

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (partridge)

Quote, originally posted by partridge »
Remember though, if you have a Geartronic and you want the torque option, then you're down to IPD and RICA...

If you have a '04/'05 Geatronic...

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (partridge)

Quote, originally posted by partridge »

Nope, if I wanted an auto, I would never have bought an R.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote, originally posted by flybynight »

http://www.evolvecars.com/site...0,1,0

Have done this package a few times. This is a MUST HAVE for R owners.
My humble opinion anyway

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (854T5)

You have to like a ricer exhaust sticking out the back if you don't have sport package or evolve rear bumper to hide it.

·
Registered
906 Posts

Aren't there issues with the evolve exhaust fitting in the gap of the Sport Body Package, I heard it's too close to the bumper and begins melting the plastic![QUOTE="R" Kelly]You have to like a ricer exhaust sticking out the back if you don't have sport package or evolve rear bumper to hide it.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (jdog)

Quote, originally posted by jdog »
Aren't there issues with the evolve exhaust fitting in the gap of the Sport Body Package, I heard it's too close to the bumper and begins melting the plastic

this is not accurate....

·
Registered
333 Posts

[QUOTE="R" Kelly]You have to like a ricer exhaust sticking out the back if you don't have sport package or evolve rear bumper to hide it.

I dont think mine looks ricey at all IMHO - thats all these are anyway .... opinions http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

chants "ipd, ipd, ipd, ipd."

We've been taking the R to Sandberg now. Long drive, but worth it. They even put 20" Heico Volution V to their demo.

As long as you're reasonable, they won't fuss with you. I mean, of course with mods come consequences.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »

this is not accurate....

I beg to differ. Take a look at the exhaust opening & how it has melted on the lower left:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: Who has Evolve ECU? (ArtVandelay0023)

Quote, originally posted by ArtVandelay0023 »

I beg to differ. Take a look at the exhaust opening & how it has melted on the lower left:

There is plenty of room in there.
From that picture, whoever put that exhaust on did a pretty piss-poor job.
You have a system that was not installed properly. I would recomend that you re-hang and center your exhaust. The stock system would do the same thing..... but much worse if it were installed like that. If you had it done at the dealer then they should warranty this.

from this pic it looks as if your exhaust may be off the back hanger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts