SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, we had a massive hail/thunder storm and my windshield was cracked. I butt heads with the adjuster who tried claiming the crack was there prior to the storm. Geico refused supplementation, and when I threatened to take it to arbitration (which I am in the process of doing), the Geico supervisor told me that if the arbitrator finds it wasn't hail damage, they could refer me to the state for prosecution of insurance fraud, which carries a fine of $2,000 or something (cue laughter).

This is after 3 different repair shops agreed that hail could have caused the crack and even if it wasn't hail, adjusters should know all sorts of things blow around in these storms and can crack a windshield. Both adjusters and the supervisor are on record telling me they don't know what cracked my windshield, that something in the storm technically "could have" cracked it, and that they have no evidence the crack existed prior to the storm.

Needless to say I will be switching insurance companies soon. I had bundled with home insurance and the contractor told me Geico/Homesite is notorious for being difficult to work with. I was told Liberty Mutual is usually pretty solid on paying out claims. IIRC, Country Financial was the other company he mentioned that was really good.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. I had pretty good experience with AAA so far. Lowest of all with 2 cars, 2 drivers plus home insurance. No issue with 5k claim for snow sliding accident and the rate went up only by a little. AAA drive gives good additional discounts if you want and you don't need it activated all the time.

Sent from my Aura Glow Note 10+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Long story short, we had a massive hail/thunder storm and my windshield was cracked. I butt heads with the adjuster who tried claiming the crack was there prior to the storm. Geico refused supplementation, and when I threatened to take it to arbitration (which I am in the process of doing), the Geico supervisor told me that if the arbitrator finds it wasn't hail damage, they could refer me to the state for prosecution of insurance fraud, which carries a fine of $2,000 or something (cue laughter).

This is after 3 different repair shops agreed that hail could have caused the crack and even if it wasn't hail, adjusters should know all sorts of things blow around in these storms and can crack a windshield. Both adjusters and the supervisor are on record telling me they don't know what cracked my windshield, that something in the storm technically "could have" cracked it, and that they have no evidence the crack existed prior to the storm.

Needless to say I will be switching insurance companies soon. I had bundled with home insurance and the contractor told me Geico/Homesite is notorious for being difficult to work with. I was told Liberty Mutual is usually pretty solid on paying out claims. IIRC, Country Financial was the other company he mentioned that was really good.
We switched from GEICO to Progressive this year.

Had one car totaled one month after we switched. Other car blew through a stop sign and t-boned our Tesla :(

Two months after new Tesla replaced totaled Tesla, other car drives into car with just under 4k miles.

Progressive has been very good throughout the process. Got our deductible recovered for the totaled accident. Was very acommodating in both instances.

Had Liberty Mutual prior to GEICO and their rate algorithm changed such that we were looking at a 50% rate increase. Their rates are still much higher than we have for Progressive.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
USAA for the Volvo and the truck. Progressive for the RV.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
Previously had Plymouth Rock and was extremely happy with their service through a major accident and repair.

Have since switched to Hanover due to a significant cost savings. We shall see...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been a customer of State Farm for just about 30 years and I've never thought of changing providers. They have always been there for me when I needed them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aaa all the way

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been a customer of State Farm for just about 30 years and I've never thought of changing providers. They have always been there for me when I needed them.
Same here. We have the house and cars under the same umbrella. Even as a veteran I was really trying for USAA but they couldn't match our bundle and rates.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
I saved a TON and got a lot more coverage by switching to Erie from State Farm. Might be time to shop around.

·
Registered
669 Posts
USAA. Good rates, good service. Totaled two cars last year. One in a T-bone accident and the other where the brand new replacement for that car hit a deer. The adjusters were very good to deal with and were more than fair.

·
Registered
669 Posts

If you have comprehensive coverage (which I assume you do if you have coverage for hail), then the windshield is covered. The question regarding whether or not it occurred in the hail storm or not centers on whether the can use two or one deductible payments. While I understand the principle, if you have a low deductible, it might not be worth the fight - especially if you are going to switch.based upon what you have said, I seriously doubt that the local district attorney is going to want to prosecute you for insurance fraud over a windshield deductible and I doubt that Geico would even invest in the time or sit in court over it. One of the things you can do is go to a nearby car dealership and see if they had hail damage and if so, whether there was any glass damage. It is possible that Geico is looking at the size of the hail and concluding that it was too small to damage the glass.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Esurance for me! Much cheaper quotes than competitors (at least in my case), although never have dealt with the claims department for anything ever, so do not precisely know how the service is.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Another Plymouth Rock customer here, and no problems with them, but more importantly, I'm glad to live in a "free glass" state! No claims, no BS, no hassles. Just ring up the insurance if there's ever an issue, they let you use whichever replacement company (within reason), glass replaced, and done.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
New Jersey Manufacturer’s Insurance Company. They are non-profit and return a portion of your premium as a dividend at the end of the year. Great claims service.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We have USAA for our 5 vehicles and Progressive for the RV.

Home insurance is USAA, but I've never put a claim on it.

I know USAA isn't the cheapest, but the service over the last 28 years has been worth the premium. I just opened a claim on the RV with Progressive last week. While the progressive service isn't bad, it isn't as good as USAA. Like Volvo or BMW versus Toyota or Nissan service, small differences.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Used to be with aaa for 10 years, for the last 10 we've been with Wawanesa, used to have fantastic service but things have been iffy since they expanded aggressively. can't beat the rates though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never had to file a claim (knock on wood) but over the last 20 years I’ve switched between Esurance, Geico, Progressive & State Farm several times. For whatever reason (not tickets or accidents) they each end up raising my rate at the 2 year mark at which point I get quotes and jump ship to the lowest quote. Right now I’m with Geico for the 3rd time having jumped from my 3rd stint with State Farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
My wife & I have been using Geico car insurance since 1993, and there have been no problems with getting claims paid. Her car was damaged by a falling tree back around 2012, I hit a deer back in 2005, and she was involved in a sideswipe incident last year. All of the claims were submitted and paid in a timely manner.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Sorry to hear about your interactions, I’ve had Geico for over 10 years and even after a totaled car (single vehicle, my fault) they have been consistently great to work with for us.

We do carry better than bare minimum coverage, including comprehensive, so when a windshield needs replacement, I’m out a $50 deductible. My wife’s CRV has been through 3-4 windows and I finally had to replace it on my S60.

Where ever you go, I do recommend evaluating your coverage to make sure you’re covered against this, and know that you can choose your company. Example, if I do a claim through Geico and have them arrange the repair, they’ll set up an appointment with Safelite. You can if you want (by law I believe), go to a dealer or private window company and as long as that company will do insurance work, you can choose them. I say this because I believe Safelite uses aftermarket glass which is possibly more breakage prone versus higher quality OEM glass (99.9% subjective observation).

I was told about this by a local window shop when I inquired due to wanting to make sure my OEM rain sensor worked after a window replacement.

Again, sorry to hear you’ve had a horrible experience, if I dealt with this I would also shop around, I’m not super loyal to a company if they burn me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had GEICO for over 25 years. No totals, but several smaller claims and never had the slightest push-back from GEICO. They just paid in full, and went after the other person for my deductible. No complaints until they kept jacking the rates up and up and up! This year, I switched to Allstate and saved OVER 50% on my premiums! I'm just hoping they don't pull a "Progressive" on me and jack the rates the second year. If they do, they'll lose me forever. I won't tolerate slimy business practices, like I've witnessed with Progressive and State Farm.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts