SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need your guy's thoughts on this....

Hopped in the car and started up to go to work, plumes and plumes of white smoke. Turned her off and had to use the other R for work.

After coming back from work I decided to do some investigation, first thought was possibly the block is cracked, but it never overheated on me ever but still is a possibility that it is cracked. Decided to go to the local parts store and get one of those block testers. (where you pour the liquid into the tester and changes colors if there was any exhaust fumes detected in the coolant) I messed with it for 5 mins but the color never changed. So I guess im off the hook? Either way i continued to look and took everything apart and see if the PCV system is clogged which i know for a fact isnt but i still checked either way for reassurance. No clogs or anything, it even passes the glove test. So what could it be? I am guessing the turbo but I dont want to go that far yet, are there any other possibilities? Maybe catalytic converter(doubt it)? The car was completely fine the day before no noticeable weird issues.

BTW the smoke is like a whiteish with a very small hint of blue, it has a burnt smell to it.

I am already considering looking into selling it soon if the worst comes to worst but thats for another post.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Possible the turbo seals went out. Blue means burning oil. Remove the intake hose or the down pipe and check the shaft. I've seen this before. The shaft brakes and it starts dumping oil and smoking. That would be where I would start.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible the turbo seals went out. Blue means burning oil. Remove the intake hose or the down pipe and check the shaft. I've seen this before. The shaft brakes and it starts dumping oil and smoking. That would be where I would start.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
thanks ill try to find this weekend to work on it hopefully this is the source to it because i cant really think of any other possibilities

·
Registered
325 Posts
If your sleeves are cracked the cooling system will be pressurized the following day (assuming the cooling system has no leaks). If you bring your car up to operating temps, shut it off, open the coolant reservoir cap THE NEXT DAY, and it's still pressurized then your combustion system is mixing/leaking with cooling system. This can be cracked wall, warped block, or a blown head gasket.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts