SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to have a 05 s40 t5 awd m66 on here I sold to my brother 3 years ago when I got a 16 focus st

Today he said white smoke is pouring out the exhaust

I usually assume this means a blown head gasket?

Car has 172k on it and has been elevate stage 3 for about 70k miles and never any issues

I havnt seen anything yet until Sunday but is there anything else I should look for that it could be?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havnt seen anything yet, my brother said it smelled like gas to him

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I havnt seen anything yet, my brother said it smelled like gas to him
Drive it for a half hour or hour or so and let everything get warmed up. That'll let any excess gas get burned out of the exhaust and cat and let you figure out if it's coolant or oil.

Given that the water jacket in the turbo is a solid cast iron tube, it's less likely it split and is probably not introducing coolant to the exhaust tract.
It could be the seals on the turbo(oil) are going bad and it's dripping oil into the exhaust. Higher RPM's would mean more smoke so that's a good test to try.

It also could be coolant or oil in the combustion chamber burning and being sent out the back. If you've changed your oil regularly and the coolant level isn't dropping it's probably your turbo seals. Time for a new turbo for $$$ or turbo cartridge for $ and replace it. If you're going to rebuild it I would recommend some ceramic coating by a prof company on the headers and compressor housing for like $200 and you'll never regret it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts