SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this sucks. 130 miles on the new fully loaded Inscription and in our neighborhood a puff of white smoke came at me in the front passenger area from under the glove box. Smells terrible and like sulfur? maybe. Quickly called the dealer and found out that my paired phone had no volume in the car. Then discovered no sound/audio with anything from the entertainment system. Wow.. what the heck just happened?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also to add there is no fluid that in under the car and when I popped the hood there was no noticeable smell nor fluid. When I go an smell in the glove box I can't smell anything nor from the driver side. When I do go under the glove box on the passenger side I can still smell it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well this sucks. 130 miles on the new fully loaded Inscription and in our neighborhood a puff of white smoke came at me in the front passenger area from under the glove box. Smells terrible and like sulfur? maybe. Quickly called the dealer and found out that my paired phone had no volume in the car. Then discovered no sound/audio with anything from the entertainment system. Wow.. what the heck just happened?
Well it sounds like an electrical short. Hopefully a fusible link which limited damage, or the actual electrical component or board itself. Given the lack of audio, could also be an amp for the stereo.

Good luck. Hope you are able to diagnose and get it back online quickly. The stereo is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it sounds like an electrical short. Hopefully a fusible link which limited damage, or the actual electrical component or board itself. Given the lack of audio, could also be an amp for the stereo.

Good luck. Hope you are able to diagnose and get it back online quickly. The stereo is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed on the BW stereo. I love it. We didn't even have any audio going at the time that the Smoke Monster appeared. The dealer is having a mechanic come out tomorrow to my house and drop off a car and take my XC90 to bring in.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Sulfur? Like brimstone? I'd suggest that supports me theory that some new XC90s are haunted or even possessed, but that would be naughty.:D

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
And apparently respiratory ones.
Those are reserved for the German Dieselgate. I wonder if you are posting there, as well...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to add to my thread, it turned out the the none of the climate control worked (heat, a/c, and defrost). I learned that this morning while taking 40 miles to the dealer that I bought it from in 40 degree weather with the windows open to help deal with all the fog on the windows. I froze my butt off this morning.

I talked with the dealer this morning and they have no update other than they have opened up a case with Volvo and have started to tear down the dash to get in there to visually inspect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer believes that an audio amp blew. They have ordered the part, but unsure when it will come in. I've asked for photos of the blown part and all circuitry to visually show that no other components were impacted by this... still waiting on the photos.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the dealer (Howard Orloff in Chicago) said on Tuesday that they were expecting a replacement part tomorrow, then tomorrow, and now here we go with no updates for 2 days. I'm starting to loose faith here as I'm now 7 days without a brand new car that I drove 4 times. I'm starting to loose patience and really wonder what the heck is going on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Happy to report that I have my XC90 back. Sheesh I forgot how nice of a ride this SUV is... the dealer put me in a base Land Rover LR2 that was a just a POS. So happy to my XC90 back!

Result: Audio module amp blew and they were instructed from Volvo to ship the part back to Sweden as they want to inspect the part to see what caused the failure. Hoping that is the end of my problems...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Glad you have your XC90 back. We'll all keep out fingers crossed that it's fixed for good now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts