SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the nice bright interiors that are available, one thing that would worry me is how well they hold up against denim jeans and other materials which has a tendency to rub off on whatever you sit on.

Does anyone have experience to share on this? I realize that no matter what interior I'll need to condition it and keep it clean, question is just how much more work I'd get going for a brighter color.

Hopefully this post makes sense :)

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the two tone sport seats in my c30. The seats did not hold up well to denim. I had to clean them often and it still changed the color of the leather. Now the seats I had are known to not be the best leather but it spoiled me from ever having a car with lite colored interior again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the off-white/black seats (seating area is white) and have had no problem, and I usually am wearing blue denim jeans.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Leather Master has a full line of leather cleaners, conditioners, and protectants that if used properly will help avoid these problems. I currently have these on my shelf: Soft Cleaner, Strong Cleaner, Vital, and Protection Cream. They are also have a Dye Transfer Cleaner. The key to best results is to keep the seats protected from day one if buying a new vehicle. You can buy their products here: http://www.leatherworldtech.com/

·
Registered
440 Posts
Got the Calcite White seats in our XC90, no problem with regular or black jeans.
Although all of them have been washed a few times.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription.
127 Posts
With all the nice bright interiors that are available, one thing that would worry me is how well they hold up against denim jeans and other materials which has a tendency to rub off on whatever you sit on.

Does anyone have experience to share on this? I realize that no matter what interior I'll need to condition it and keep it clean, question is just how much more work I'd get going for a brighter color.

Hopefully this post makes sense :)

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk
Based on my experience with my old 2013 soft beige/black s60 interior my driver seat would get blueish/grayish from wearing denim blue jeans but when i would clean it most of it would come off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have cleaned my beige/dark brown leather seats in our XC60 with Volvo's leather upholstery cleaning kit since day one. Even with me and my wife regularly wearing jeans, the seats have not discolored. I treat my seats once a month, or whenever I wash the car. After 5 years, there is no color transfer from denim dye.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It also depends a lot on the jeans you wear.

Stretchy dept store "denim" jeans, no problem.

Raw denim. You're screwed.

Dye transfer is a big issue with light leather if you wear the wrong sorts of clothing. My hospital had reddish maroon scrubs for a that ruined many a car seat, as well as sneakers, socks, underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
It also depends a lot on the jeans you wear.

Stretchy dept store "denim" jeans, no problem.

Raw denim. You're screwed.

Dye transfer is a big issue with light leather if you wear the wrong sorts of clothing. My hospital had reddish maroon scrubs for a that ruined many a car seat, as well as sneakers, socks, underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's only an issue when the jeans have not been washed a few times

but there are people who don't wash their jeans - they want that new look for as long as possible.

Keep those sorts of people out of your car.

Heck, keep them out of your life! ;)

- - -

I have a pair of jeans that are on the expensive side (north of $100). They leached dye for a few washes longer than I expected. After about a year I washed them in hot because they were in my luggage when I got some bed bug bites while traveling. Foolishly I washed the jeans in a mixed load, and a white t-shirt that must have been next to the jeans at a crucial time in the wash cycle ended up stained with some serious blue streaks.

Maybe blue jeans leave some dye behind when the seats are unusually hot?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The only time I've seen a problem with a denim jeans staining a light interior is on a friend's daughter's 2014 Ford Fusion. It has the Beige CLOTH (or "Dune" as Ford calls it) and it was looking pretty bad after less than one year. They managed to clean it so that it was at least 90% improved and she now has a towel in the seat to prevent it from happening again. I have not seen the denim cause a problem with light colored leather.

The XC60 interior color that scares me a little bit because it seems impossible to keep clean is the 'Marble White' Inscription Leather. If you like the Soft Beige, you should compare how the interior looks with the standard seats and with the optional ($500) Sport Seats. Upgrading to the Sport Seats changes the headliner from beige to off-black and the doors are also off-black with Soft Beige inserts for a very upscale, two-tone look! I'm pretty sure that that Black carpet replaced the Beige carpet when you choose the Sport Seats.

Another option is the Blonde/Off-Black Two-Tone Sport Seats (also with black headliner and carpet) that give the interior a very sharp, upscale look. My personal favorite is the Hazel Brown/Off-Black Two-Tone Sport Seats but they are probably darker than you want.

Good luck with whatever you choose! =)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another option is the Blonde/Off-Black Two-Tone Sport Seats (also with black headliner and carpet) that give the interior a very sharp, upscale look. My personal favorite is the Hazel Brown/Off-Black Two-Tone Sport Seats but they are probably darker than you want.

Good luck with whatever you choose! =)
I ended up going with the Hazel Brown/Off-Black interior with aluminum trim and Magic Blue exterior. Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a 2015 with the tan interior. I have seen evidence of the jeans discoloring all the seats, even the back where my kids sit. I use the Lexol leather cleaner and the bluish color comes right off. I do this about once a month to stay on top of it. As much as I like the look of the tan interior, I think the black interior would fare better over the long run.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have a 2015 with the tan interior. I have seen evidence of the jeans discoloring all the seats, even the back where my kids sit. I use the Lexol leather cleaner and the bluish color comes right off. I do this about once a month to stay on top of it. As much as I like the look of the tan interior, I think the black interior would fare better over the long run.
Thank the Car Gods for Lexol! I have been using Lexol Leather Cleaner and their Conditioner for the last four years. I don't know how I lived without it. I know a few of my previous cars could have used it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ended up going with the Hazel Brown/Off-Black interior with aluminum trim and Magic Blue exterior. Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.
I was considering the XC60 for a while before I decided to go with the S60 instead. I was replacing a 2012 Mazda CX-9 (full-size Crossover) and had convinced myself that I had too get another SUV/CUV. I loved the XC60 but the S60 T6 Drive-E ended up fitting my needs very well.

Anyway, the XC60 that I had picked out (and came very close to ordering) was a 2015.5 XC60 T6 Drive-E Platinum in Caspian Blue Metallic with Hazel Brown/Off-Black Leather. The dark blue exterior and brown interior complement each other very well. My S60 is Caspian Blue Metallic, but the interior is Beechwood Brown/Off-Black Sport Leather. I actually would've preferred a darker brown like the Hazel Brown, but Beechwood Brown was the only choice other than Off-Black or Soft Beige.

FYI, Magic Blue replaced Caspian Blue for 2016. Magic Blue is darker than Caspian Blue. Both of them look great.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I desperately wanted the soft beige for our car, but this build was the wife's. Our sales guy already knew she wanted sports seats, and when I mentioned soft beige, he made a face. Knowing we planned on keeping the car for a long time, he suggested not getting beige as over the long term (not just jeans or other dyed clothes), the color wont hold up as well as darker color, making special note of the steering wheel.

The blond/black is a perfect trade off and we love it, but the soft beige headliner would have really brightened the cockpit in my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts