SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what can cause the white mist/condensate coming from the vents?

I asked my Indy, brought a car to the dealer - no answer...

Apparently the air is too moist - jammed drain, bad dehumidifier (whatever it is)?...?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have had that happen in certain weather conditions (My recollection being when it was real hot and humid). Nothing wrong with the car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Water should be dripping under the car (under the front footwell) when A/C is on.
If not, probably you have a clogged drain in the passenger footwell near the center console.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Does anyone know what can cause the white mist/condensate coming from the vents?

Apparently the air is too moist - jammed drain, bad dehumidifier (whatever it is)?...?
Sometimes, as cars age, they have more features than when they left the dealer. The reason behind this, is because sometimes cars like to make their own features. I think your car has made it's own smoke machine, and it is ASKING/BEGGING YOU to hang a disco ball from the mirror, and install some led disco lights for a dance party.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Most commonly your condenser is icing up; turn the A/C off and let the fan run....mist will continue for a little while then go away when it's cleared out. Must admit, I'd expect this post in the summer...

·
Registered
4 Posts

The fan coil in the car is called an evaporator in the refrigeration world. The refrigerant oil enters as a cold liquid and is heated by the warm incoming air and heats up and evaporates. This change of 'state' cools the air. If the air contains a lot of moisture you will get the 'mist or vapor' . I believe the cabin filter is after the evaporator so it is possible the evap could get dirty but according to my local Volvo dealer that is very rare. I don't notice mist on either of my Volvos but do occasionally on my Mercedes. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts