SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this sound as I was coming down the off-ramp on the way to work this morning and was able to get this video in the parking garage.

Any ideas what it could be?

Video here: https://goo.gl/photos/Dp2t55spq7X4EcxG8

The noise is intermittent. As I disengage the clutch (about 7 seconds in), the noise stops immediately. Then as I re-engage the clutch, it doesn't come back.

It sounds like a throw out bearing that went out on my old VW 8 years ago, but that had opposite symptoms, with the sound occurring only with the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realized on the way to work today, the symptoms closely match belt squeal. Doesn't sound like the belt squeal I've heard from any other car before, but I'll check that out tonight.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Pop the hood and see if you can hear it.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Definitely plan to do that before driving home tonight, while it's still cold.

Btw, your project thread was a fun read :)
Thanks! If you can hear it without the car being in gear and moving you will have narrowed it down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! If you can hear it without the car being in gear and moving you will have narrowed it down.
Definitely makes noise while sitting still, clutch engaged, gearbox in neutral. It was very hard to tell in the parking garage where the sound was coming from, but if anything, I'd have to guess it was coming from the intake side, not the belt side.

I'll pull apart the intake plumbing and PCV valve this weekend to see if that does anything. If nothing else, I know it's past time to clean the K&N.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts