SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently purchased a 2015.5 volvo s60. When I open the sunroof in the vent position, I hear a high pitch whistling from the drivers side only. Any ideas what could be causing it? I tried to press on all the seals around the driver's side window, as well as the area in general, but couldn't pinpoint the whistling noise. I also checked for any debris in the sunroof area. I checked all the seals around the drivers door and they appear to be fine as well. Any body with the same issue before?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We have the same whistling noise. I hardly notice it anymore. My guess is it has something to do with the bug delflector.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hear a whistling noise almost all the time whenever my car gets above around 50mph, sunroof vented or not, at first I thought it was coming from my motor, but can't get the sound to replicate at lower speeds. Can't hear it with all the windows up at least....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the car into the dealership the other day and had the technician ride along. He was able to hear it too. We rode in another new s60 that was on the lot as well and there seems to be the same whistling noise in that one too! I guess I just have to live with it or get around the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same here, open or vented, whistling that sounds like its coming from the drivers door/window area. Sunroof is useless on this car compared to my Acura, hardly any noise open and damn near silent vented. Aside from that and the auto tranny, the Volvo blows it away though.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I took the car into the dealership the other day and had the technician ride along. He was able to hear it too. We rode in another new s60 that was on the lot as well and there seems to be the same whistling noise in that one too! I guess I just have to live with it or get around the problem.
Thanks for the update. You confirmed that I am not hearing things.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Same here, open or vented, whistling that sounds like its coming from the drivers door/window area. Sunroof is useless on this car compared to my Acura, hardly any noise open and damn near silent vented. Aside from that and the auto tranny, the Volvo blows it away though.
Exactly where I hear my whistling noise coming from, wonder what exactly it is that causes the noise, have never heard anything like it on any other cars I've owned, I guess yet another happy quirk about my Volvo, lol

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one "hearing" things as my wife has suggested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for the late response. hmm so there doesn't seem to be anybody that doesn't have the noise. I wish there was a remedy for it. I tried to adjust my sunroof because it was not sitting flush against the roof panel but that didn't fix it either. This is the only "major" issue I have with this car and I hope it can be fixed in the future.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
sorry for the late response. hmm so there doesn't seem to be anybody that doesn't have the noise. I wish there was a remedy for it. I tried to adjust my sunroof because it was not sitting flush against the roof panel but that didn't fix it either. This is the only "major" issue I have with this car and I hope it can be fixed in the future.
I don't have a whistling noise when I tilt the sunroof (and I do that all the time).

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can play loud music or put your earbuds on... or better yet, I bet the whistling would be gone if you don't drive the car at all. It seems that these cars are best suited for exactly that - just to look at them and not drive them.

Forgive my sarcasm, but I find it amazing that indeed such a luxury brand would have ridiculous problems like whistling or water leaks from the windshield.

On the other hand, I've had a similar issue myself - my 2002 S40 started whistling at 50+ mph but the noise was coming from the front, not inside. The Volvo technician knew what it was - $800 for new front struts or mounts (don't remember, it's was about 9 years ago). That fixed it.

A Volvo car is a like a drama-queen girlfriend - you waste a lot of money on her, energy, disappointments, but she's pretty and you keep her... until the new, younger model comes up, just as dramatic as the old one. (I'm sure I'm not the first one to say it)

n

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You can play loud music or put your earbuds on... or better yet, I bet the whistling would be gone if you don't drive the car at all. It seems that these cars are best suited for exactly that - just to look at them and not drive them.

Forgive my sarcasm, but I find it amazing that indeed such a luxury brand would have ridiculous problems like whistling or water leaks from the windshield.

On the other hand, I've had a similar issue myself - my 2002 S40 started whistling at 50+ mph but the noise was coming from the front, not inside. The Volvo technician knew what it was - $800 for new front struts or mounts (don't remember, it's was about 9 years ago). That fixed it.

A Volvo car is a like a drama-queen girlfriend - you waste a lot of money on her, energy, disappointments, but she's pretty and you keep her... until the new, younger model comes up, just as dramatic as the old one. (I'm sure I'm not the first one to say it)

n
Is someone holding a gun to your head, right now, demanding you keep your car or else? Seriously, if you hate it so much, go get something else.

This is basic physics; the pressure drop created by venting (opening) a sunroof causes air rushing in from the outside to want to get to equalization inside the cabin. Some air might make it past the rubber door seals, hence, "whistling." If it bothers you, you can crack the window a smidge and the noise will go away. Presumably if one is venting the sunroof, they are looking for fresh air inside anyways.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Is someone holding a gun to your head, right now, demanding you keep your car or else? Seriously, if you hate it so much, go get something else.
Is it that simple though? The moment you walk out the parking lot with your new car is the moment the car depreciates anywhere from 10 to 40%. Add sales taxes and finance and your car devalues dramatically. After such "investment" would you just walk away and "go get something else"?

n

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Is it that simple though? The moment you walk out the parking lot with your new car is the moment the car depreciates anywhere from 10 to 40%. Add sales taxes and finance and your car devalues dramatically. After such "investment" would you just walk away and "go get something else"?

n
Yes, and we have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is basic physics; the pressure drop created by venting (opening) a sunroof causes air rushing in from the outside to want to get to equalization inside the cabin. Some air might make it past the rubber door seals, hence, "whistling." If it bothers you, you can crack the window a smidge and the noise will go away. Presumably if one is venting the sunroof, they are looking for fresh air inside anyways.
Yeah it seems like that's the case. Usually I vent the sunroof because I don't really want to open the window and have wind blowing on my face. Is there anything that I can do to attempt to narrow down where the issue is coming from? Also I don't understand why it is only on the driver side and not the passenger side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just wish I could pinpoint where the sound is coming from, its hard to try and figure it out whilst driving and since its on the drivers side a passenger is no help.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

n
I think the debate of whether you should buy a car brand new is a subject warranting its own thread...in any case, I think the point stands. If your investment was worthless (in this case, the "investment" being a car you don't enjoy), would you keep holding on to it anyways? It's like that super annoying Geico commercial right now with Kenny Rogers: "You've got to know when to fold 'em."

Yeah it seems like that's the case. Usually I vent the sunroof because I don't really want to open the window and have wind blowing on my face. Is there anything that I can do to attempt to narrow down where the issue is coming from? Also I don't understand why it is only on the driver side and not the passenger side.
If you just crack the window, it won't be bad. I'm talking a millimeter or two. It probably is coming from the passenger side too, but you just can't hear it.

I just wish I could pinpoint where the sound is coming from, its hard to try and figure it out whilst driving and since its on the drivers side a passenger is no help.
I already answered this question. It's air coming by the door seal.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I already answered this question. It's air coming by the door seal.
No whistling here in any sunroof position but if I open the sunroof I get such bad wind buffeting that I have to open a window for fear my eardrums might pop. No issue in vent mode though. If the whistling is indeed coming from the door seals why not try lubricating them with something designed for rubber seals. Having owned a convertible I use to do this frequently with a product called Krytox to quiet down squeaky seals and to ensure they stay pliable to remain water tight.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't need to crack the window next to you -- you can crack one of the rear windows, just a centimeter, and that might help.

I don't find a whistling sound when I have my sunroof open, but I get buffeting (that "whump,whump, whump" sound) and cracking any window a bit equalizes the pressure and removes the resonance.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
No whistling here in any sunroof position but if I open the sunroof I get such bad wind buffeting that I have to open a window for fear my eardrums might pop. No issue in vent mode though. If the whistling is indeed coming from the door seals why not try lubricating them with something designed for rubber seals. Having owned a convertible I use to do this frequently with a product called Krytox to quiet down squeaky seals and to ensure they stay pliable to remain water tight.
Great suggestion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts