SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've developed a mechanical sounding whir that only happens whenever I press the throttle. As the RPMs climb the sound gets higher pitched. Everything on the car is up to date on maintenance, except for the timing belt, which is getting done on Wednesday. I know that the blower motor for the A/C can start chirping, but I've ruled that out. It's not super worrying or urgent, I am selling the car so I'd rather not have the sound present when showing it. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

PS - I really hope it's not the turbo on its way out...

·
3,958 Posts
Front wheel area? Alot of P2's including mine have a whirring sound from the wheels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front wheel area? Alot of P2's including mine have a whirring sound from the wheels.
Yeah it's coming from the front for sure. The thing is I have a pretty drone-y exhaust, so I listen very carefully to any new sound. This noise only started a month or so ago.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Does it get louder as you turn/curve the wheel left or right?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
could you post a video?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I'll try but with my stupid exhaust it'd probably take professional audio equipment to pick up the sound.
while youre in the car is it towards the drivers side or passengers side and is it in the front of back of car?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
while youre in the car is it towards the drivers side or passengers side and is it in the front of back of car?

It's definitely from the front. I can hear it better from my right ear and my passenger can definitely hear it as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Serpentine tensioner, alternator, a.c. compressor, or power steering pump would be my guess. In other words one of the belt driven accessories. Park it, pop the hood and have someone rev it while you listen from up front

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just went out to do a quick vid. You can feel it very faintly. I'll have it posted as soon as YouTube finishes.

Serpentine tensioner, alternator, a.c. compressor, or power steering pump would be my guess. In other words one of the belt driven accessories. Park it, pop the hood and have someone rev it while you listen from up front
I did right before I went out for the vid. The only thing I heard was a faint whine from the alternator, which has always been there since I bought the car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the vid, turn up the volume. You can hear it right at the beginning and after going downhill.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It could very well be your timing belt. Mine made a whirring noise when the tensioner was about to disintegrate. I thought it was my alternator and had that replaced (which could also be the issue). I would keep your fingers crossed till Wednesday and not drive it too hard.

EDIT: Just was able to listen to the video. Doesn't really sound like the timing belt or alternator. Sounds more like an exhaust leak or DP whistle. This is what my timing belt sounded like:

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Boost leak? It almost sounds resonant... (Probably the wrong word). Check the air filter and charge air piping.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I did some more driving and had my Volvo guy drive it too. For some reason the sound is really pronounced in 6th gear. It's the loudest by far...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts