SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 2010 XC60 T6 AWD has a low whining sound like a bearing going out that gets louder on deceleration. The car has 62K miles on it. It seems to come form the rear of the car but I can't pinpoint where. Could this be a bevel gear problem or has anyone had wheel bearings begin to fail with this sort of mileage? I don't know much about the bevel gear and testing procedure and I don't see fluid loss around the bevel gear. I am concerned that this could be a major issue. Any advice on how to inspect the bevel gear and check or change the fluid? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Wheel bearing will be noisy all the time, not decelerating only.
If you steer at high speeds (think freeway ramp) and load the side of the car with the bad wheel bearing, the noise should get louder. If you unload the side of the car with the bad wheel bearing, the noise should get quieter. If loading/unloading doesn't change the noise at all, it's not a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
916 Posts
My wifes 2010 XC60 T6 AWD has a low whining sound like a bearing going out that gets louder on deceleration. The car has 62K miles on it. It seems to come form the rear of the car but I can't pinpoint where. Could this be a bevel gear problem or has anyone had wheel bearings begin to fail with this sort of mileage? I don't know much about the bevel gear and testing procedure and I don't see fluid loss around the bevel gear. I am concerned that this could be a major issue. Any advice on how to inspect the bevel gear and check or change the fluid? Thanks.
We had a wheel bearing go out in a rear wheel on my wife's 2010 XC-60 at about 25K miles. Technician confirmed it during a short test drive around the block.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gee, all of my Volvo's have eaten bearings like they are cake. Can't get over 100K without having replacing many of them.

I doubt it is a bearing if it only happens on deceleration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happens all the time, it just is more noticeable when letting off the gas. It almost sounds like tire noise but since it changes intensity, I can't believe it is the tires.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you have a jack, jack up each rear wheel and spin it as fast as you can while holding the spring. You will feel grittiness on the one with the bad bearing if so..... If you have a mechanic stethoscope, even better.... You can also try hard turns to see if loading up laterally causes the sound to come and go. (Common for wheel bearings but not always.)

·
Registered
916 Posts
It happens all the time, it just is more noticeable when letting off the gas. It almost sounds like tire noise but since it changes intensity, I can't believe it is the tires.
That was exactly what I thought....geez, these tires are getting noisy! It was a wheel bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts