SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ETM has been causing problems since I got this car, and I've finally put together exactly (what I think, at least) is happening. I have had two codes (ECM-6B00 and ECM-6300, one is for ETS light signal too low and the other is CEL signal too low) and they seem to be linked to the CEL and ETS lights "flickering" if they're illuminated.
The codes will always come back immediately after clearing them once I start the car as instructed in VIDA.

I have noticed that when this happens, the ETM is making a strange and relatively loud buzzing/whining. When I first start the car and the warning lights are tested, the lights will only do the flickering thing if the ETM is buzzing, but if it's not, they are steady and act normally. It's also only once I start the car that this happens, it has never happened with the engine not running.
They'll also flicker if one or both are illuminated for any other reason (other unrelated issues that have come up). But again, only about 80% of the time, other times they'll be solid, as they should (when the ETM isn't buzzing).

I have replaced the ETM 3 times, so that's not the problem. I just checked and cleaned the ground for the ETM the other day, but it was already pretty clean. I have already checked for excessive resistance in the wiring between the ECM and cluster (the wires that the codes above point to) and they are good. I checked the CAN bus wiring between the ETM and ECM and the resistance is fine there was well, no changes if I move the harness around.
I've also checked all the other grounds throughout the car, everything is tight and clean.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I have a strong feeling that fixing this will fix these codes so I can finally take comfort in knowing there aren't any strange electrical issues.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I get occasional ETS light on the black 00 S70. I read and im 99% positive its the brake pedal sensor. Both the S70's ETM make a whine and buzz noise when the cars are started and after shutdown. Does your cruise work ? if not, try pulling back on the brake pedal with your foot and engage the cruise, if it works then, you brake pedal sensor is probably bad like mine.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cruise doesn't work, but that's because I manual swapped this car and have yet to install a clutch sensor. I had a code for the brake pedal sensor before, but I have since replaced it. I can't quite remember if that code returned, but if it did, I don't know why.

It does the normal whine when I first turn the key on, then closes. This is totally normal and means it's working properly. However, it's not supposed to whine while the engine is running. The whine while it's running continues, and changes frequency at times. It almost sounds like a struggling fuel pump, if that makes sense.

Here's a video. This was taken before I pinpointed the ETM as the culprit, so I'm moving my phone around the whole engine bay. You can still hear it pretty clearly, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiHGeanWxlQ

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Soooo nobody has any idea what could possibly be wrong here? I've been fighting this car for months, and I have come no closer to a solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts