SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which way do the Rosso's go on the rim?

Long story (has to do with my previously reported front-end rattle and steering shimmy, which I will post an update on after next trip to dealer), but for the short term, I am re-installing my Rosso's. I had originally taken them off at 600 miles, and they've sat idle ever since. I will, later this summer, purchase a new set of rims and A/S tires.

So, to my question: The Rosso's are the Asymetrical design. I assume therefore that the tread pattern orientation is meant to be different between tires mounted on the left versus those on the right. In looking the tires over, all four appear to be identical (even the orientation of those semi-circular "ring" treads). There are no indicators on the tire - to the best of my knowledge - that say "left", "right" or even a directional arrow to indicate which way the tire should spin. There is a difference, however, in the logos on the sides of the tire. One side has an elongated "Z", the other doesn't. I anticipate my dealer will know which way to orient them, but figured I'd check with you all as well, just in case…any advice is appreciated. The car goes into the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks

Modified by icebiker at 1:23 PM 3-13-2006

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Which way to do the Rosso's go on the rim? (MagoonR)

Thanks, I had checked TR's site earlier...couldn't tell from the pic, tho....e.g is the wheel "coming at you" or "going away from you".....I'm hoping someone with Rosso's on at the moment would be able to check their tires..

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Which way to do the Rosso's go on the rim? (icebiker)

Quote, originally posted by icebiker »
Thanks, I had checked TR's site earlier...couldn't tell from the pic, tho....e.g is the wheel "coming at you" or "going away from you".....I'm hoping someone with Rosso's on at the moment would be able to check their tires..

Going away from you. It's the right side wheel that TR is showing. There is a bit of direction to the treads and you want that going forward on the roll.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Re: Which way do the Rosso?s go on the rim? (blf)

Quote, originally posted by blf »
neither

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »
Going away from you. It's the right side wheel that TR is showing. There is a bit of direction to the treads and you want that going forward on the roll.

Right side looking from the back (passenger side) or right side looking from the front (drivers side)?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Which way to do the Rosso's go on the rim? (e1618978)

Quote, originally posted by e1618978 »

Right side looking from the back (passenger side) or right side looking from the front (drivers side)?

The tread direction noted on TR applies to passenger side tires as mounted in the picture.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

These are asymmetric because the thread is asymmetric but they are NON directional tires. So it does not matter for left or right mounting. You can move the wheels form left to right with no problem (4 tires rotation).

Look on the tire side wall and you'll find the writing: ESTERNO AUSSER EXTERIEUR OUTER. That side of the tire should be seen when you look at the car no matter in what direction the tire is rotating or what side of the car.

The rule is that side should be on the face side of the wheel. Check before leaving the tire shop. When I installed mine the shop installed two right and two wrong.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Which way to do the Rosso's go on the rim? (doru)

Quote, originally posted by doru »
Look on the tire side wall and you'll find the writing: ESTERNO AUSSER EXTERIEUR OUTER. That side of the tire should be seen when you look at the car no matter in what direction the tire is rotating or what side of the car.

You da man! Thanks muchly

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Re: Which way to do the Rosso's go on the rim? (icebiker)

Most directional tires have pretty clear writing or arrows telling you the direction of travel. Asym tires can be run in either direction.
One caution with radials is once it has been run in a particular direction they don't like going the other way and usually seperate. Probably not an issue here with only 600miles but you still shouldn't rotate them side to side, only front to rear.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Which way to do the Rosso's go on the rim? (vintagemilano)

Carson, thanks. I'll keep that in mind...that's how I had been rotating the BFG's. WIll do so with the Rosso's now too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.