SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Trying to get back into an R, was wondering which tranny to go with. It's def. going to be 06+ , and I do prefer a manual but all the recent angle gear talk led me to believe the aisin TF-80sc (gt) is the better option since it has beefier angle gear, and seems to be less problematic than the getrag 6mt.
So, here's the poll: which one would you get?

P.S. found this listing and seriously considering buying
http://www.cars.com/go/search/...=true
tell me what you think

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (rushin_max)

That's dirt cheap, wow...

If you don't 'mind' driving an auto, go for it. However, I LOVE driving the 6MT in my car. However, the modded GT that I drove (5-speed even) was AWESOME to drive.

If you're worried about reliability, you can always go FWD if that happens, or get a warranty, or do the 'upgrade' if/when it becomes available.

·
6,444 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (rushin_max)

The reason why I sold my first Volvo was because of the automatic transmission. If you know how to drive a MT and have the means of purchasing the car with one - do it.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (AthruC)

The TF-80SC has had it's share of issues such as failing valve bodies, rough shifting, bad neutral behavior, etc. It's not bulletproof.

·
6,444 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (mrapczynski)

Looking at that cars.com link - that's a great find IMO (if you don't drive a lot that is)

perfect color combo

I also checked the carfax - it's clean; the only thing I'd worry about is poor maintenance (notice no service records on carfax), since it was registered as a "corporate vehicle", look below:

01/20/2006 Volvo Vehicle manufactured
Black sapphire metallic exterior Grey/Okra interior

02/21/2006 US Customs Vehicle exported from
Belgium and imported to Port Hueneme, CA

02/23/2006 Volvo Vehicle shipped to original dealer in Ontario, CA

02/27/2006 7 Ontario Volvo
Ontario, CA
909-605-5700
http://www.ontariovw.com Pre-delivery inspection completed

02/27/2006 Dealer Inventory Vehicle sold

02/27/2006 87 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Valencia, CA Title issued or updated First owner reported Registered as corporate vehicle Loan or lien reported

02/23/2009 64,475 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Pacific Region Listed as a fleet vehicle

Dealers routinely buy and sell millions of used vehicles at auction each year.

02/27/2009 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

03/10/2009 Volvo Cars of North America, LLC No recalls open for repair

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (JimLill)

I guess you (we) learn something new every day-LOL. I vote for the 6MT http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Now if you were in NYC, I'd say get a GT.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (GT854T5)

I love my 6 speed GT. It very fast and responsive. Its a spring 06 and BVV said the TNN doesn't correspond to my car (about the valve body). The 06 also has a stronger angle gear than the MT (see collar gear analysis below)...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
the 6MT is a volvo M66 unit. Volvo and Getrag co own a factory/transmission development department which is also the Ford Centre for excellance for AWD and rear axle design. M66 is a volvo design built in the Volvo-Getrag factory. Volvo-Getrag also developed the Powershift gearboxes.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: (Shimon)

Quote, originally posted by Shimon »
the 6MT is a volvo M66 unit. Volvo and Getrag co own a factory/transmission development department which is also the Ford Centre for excellance for AWD and rear axle design. M66 is a volvo design built in the Volvo-Getrag factory. Volvo-Getrag also developed the Powershift gearboxes.

I had heard that Getrag had nothing to do with the 6MT, thus my confusion.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (mrapczynski)

Quote, originally posted by mrapczynski »
I had the late model 6GT that left the factory with the valve body fixed -
So does my wife. It lasted about 11k miles, which is about 1300 miles less than the first 5GT lasted in my former S60R http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

I, on the other hand, would love to have your 540i and the transmission it comes with

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (tomedkaz)

Quote, originally posted by tomedkaz »

naaaah.... you can easily manage with a mt

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (AthruC)

My last R was a 2006 GT with about 375 HP. The transmission was ok, not great at shifting and started to exhibit major torque steer before I let her go.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Re: (Shimon)

Quote, originally posted by Shimon »

Yes now a 50-50% Ford/Getrag

This is the old Ford Transmission and it is in Cologne

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Which tranny would you get, aisin TF-80SC or getrag 6MTT? (tomedkaz)

Manual it is. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Thanx for the carfax, appreciate it. I just ran the vin with a local dealer, unfortunately all they could pull up was warranty work, so I still need to contact Galpin volvo to check the maintenance records. If everything checks out, it's on.

Can't wait to get back into an R, Hopefully nobody beats me to it(fingers crossed).

Thanks for all your input

Btw, who voted for the camry?

·
Registered
17,007 Posts
camry lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.