SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<P>Looking to get a 1999 v70 R w/50k miles or a brand new 2002 v70 xc? Anyone have pros or cons on either one? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
39,225 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gonzo30:<BR><B>Hi,<P>Looking to get a 1999 v70 R w/50k miles or a brand new 2002 v70 xc? Anyone have pros or cons on either one? Thanks in advance.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Wow...two, totally, different cars. One is sporty, can give you pretty tight handling, will ride "harder", will be quicker, you are pretty much out of warranty (unless you can get it certified from a Volvo Retailer which will give you a few more years or 50,000 miles). The other, will not be as sporty in its handling but will give you superb wet and snow traction (not that the R will not but the XC will be better), has Geartronic, more advanced safety features, inferior stereo system (unless you get the optional Audiomax which is awesome)...In other words, the XC can be equipped with neat new features such as Audiomax, DSTC, Laminated side windows...will give you a softer ride and less HP. You must answer for yourself this basic question: "Do I like more a sporty car with gobs of power than a softer more luxurious ride with 197HP (nothing to sneeze at, anyway)?"...<P>Yannis<BR><P>

·
Registered
65 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gonzo30:<BR><B>Hi,<P>Looking to get a 1999 v70 R w/50k miles or a brand new 2002 v70 xc? Anyone have pros or cons on either one? Thanks in advance.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Gonzo...It depends what you want...both have AWD, both are good raod cars, both can haul kids/dogs/stuff....but only ONE can haul ass.<BR>It just so happens I have an excellent condition Silver 2000 V70R with roof rails/cargo tray/cargo cover a great 200 watt 3 CD sound system with center speaker surround with 40K miles. It also happens to be for sale.<BR>The 99 R is a great car but the 00 is replete with extras in the performance department.<BR>Depending on whether you like the Sports Car of wagons the R may be for you<BR>Jim<BR>

·
Registered
65 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gonzo30:<BR><B>Hi,<P>Looking to get a 1999 v70 R w/50k miles or a brand new 2002 v70 xc? Anyone have pros or cons on either one? Thanks in advance.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Did I mention the nearly $15k in savings buying say a 2000R not to mention the exclusivity of the R vs. the best selling Volvo?<BR>Jim<BR>

·
Super Moderator
39,225 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TravelingIncognito:<BR><B> the best selling Volvo?<BR>Jim</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Soon to be (if not already) "the EX-best selling Volvo"...S60 is projected as the king of volume as far as Volvo sales are concerned.<P>Yannis<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Well, some other things to consider.<P>The R will be a rarer car, unless you opt for the Ocean Race Edition, which means different things on resale. We sold our 850R and had people from all over the country looking at it, and a buyer who flew in from TX to buy the MD based car.<P>The R also has that cool crosshatch stitched Alcantara and aluminum trim interior which is kinda neat.<P>Downside is, it's a used car with mileage, and possibly hard mileage on it.<P>The XC is a new car, like Yannis said, with all the features of a new car. It also has better clearance for off-road driving or driving in the snow. It will take more of a depreciation hit though, as the R has already taken it's largest hit (just post purchase) whereas you have yet to do that on the new XC.

·
Registered
65 Posts
George<BR>Well said...I called it exclusivity. A used R may or may not have been driven hard. Depends on the driver as is the case with any used car. The depreciation is a killer...but after two years the worst is definitely over. <BR>As to the ground clearance...I don't know if there is really much difference but I can't speak to the 2002. The wheel size and overall height of the two cars is almost identical.<BR>If warranty is a concern (many will have the balance left) you can either get it Volvo Certified or buy an aftermarket warranty through a dealer.<BR>Jim

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Published ground clearance on the XC is about 8" or the same as the Land Rover Discovery or Audi allroad at it's highest settings. Not accounting for approach or departure angles which probably don't match the Disco, I believe the XC is taller, though I honestly don't know figures on the R.<P>FYI, not sure where you are or what it is you are looking for/ how far you'd go to get it, but Annapolis Volvo has two blue R wagons, both Y2K and both 20K miles on them. One has graphite interior, one has tan.

·
Super Moderator
39,225 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>Published ground clearance on the XC is about 8" or the same as the Land Rover Discovery or Audi allroad at it's highest settings. Not accounting for approach or departure angles which probably don't match the Disco, I believe the XC is taller, though I honestly don't know figures on the R.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You are right, George. The new XC is definitely taller all around; taller body and higher ground clearance. Not to mention that it will have better approach and departure angles than the R due the totally different front and rear bumpers.<P>Yannis<P><P>

·
Registered
65 Posts
George<BR>Never heard of a 2000 R with anything but Graphite interior...Ask Yannis on that one....I have run into several instances where '99's were being marketed as '00's<BR>Jim<P>

·
Super Moderator
39,225 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TravelingIncognito:<BR><B>George<BR>Never heard of a 2000 R with anything but Graphite interior...Ask Yannis on that one....I have run into several instances where '99's were being marketed as '00's<BR>Jim<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There were V70Rs produced in MY2000 with the Beige interior...<P>Yannis<P><P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Incidentally, we had the graphite interior car out at the Annapolis show. Someone had pointed out the overspray on the hatch seal, summarizing that it may have taken a hit to the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok,<P>I was able to drive a 2002 v70 XC. Didn't much care for it. In particluar didn't like just having the D option or having to switch to the manual shift pattern to achieve the L 3 gear options. Probably just my ignorance on it. The Cross Country is a very nice car but was much more impressed with the performance & interior of the 99 V70 R.

·
Registered
65 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gonzo30:<BR><B>Ok,<P>I was able to drive a 2002 v70 XC. Didn't much care for it. In particluar didn't like just having the D option or having to switch to the manual shift pattern to achieve the L 3 gear options. Probably just my ignorance on it. The Cross Country is a very nice car but was much more impressed with the performance & interior of the 99 V70 R.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Gonzo<BR>You have chosen wisely!<BR>The R gives you 90% of the XC offroad and snow capability (tire dependent) but 100% more in the fun department. If you are really going offroad buy a Truck and if the snow is too deep for the R....only snowplows ought to be on the road!<BR>Have Fun<BR>Jim<BR><p>[This message has been edited by TravelingIncognito (edited 05-01-2002).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts