SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this topic has already been covered. I have done almost 40k now in my 04 T6. Need to replace with the best for the price. Any solid suggestions based on experience as to wearability, road noise and wet/snow handling would be helpful. Micheline wants about $215 each for direct replacements, Scorpions get a very bad press. Just need pointing in the cheap-yet-good direction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: which tires to replace michelin mxm4s with (britinkc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>britinkc</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am sure this topic has already been covered. I have done almost 40k now in my 04 T6. Need to replace with the best for the price. Any solid suggestions based on experience as to wearability, road noise and wet/snow handling would be helpful. Micheline wants about $215 each for direct replacements, Scorpions get a very bad press. Just need pointing in the cheap-yet-good direction.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Goodyear has a new tire out called the Eagle ResponsEdge, it may be worth investigating. The Tire Rack does not yet have the 236/60-18 size in stock, according to their web site, but Goodyear's own site lists it as available. I would imagine that the Tire Rack's price will be around $165 per when it does become available. Check out the description at:<p><A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+ResponsEdge" TARGET="_blank">http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...sEdge</A>

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: which tires to replace michelin mxm4s with (canndale)

Those Goodyears sound pretty nice. Glad they appear to be VR rated too.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I 've got Continental CrossContact LX 255/55-18 for $127 at the same place - tirerack.com<p>They are warranted for 65K miles, have much better snow handling than Michelins.<br>And they look much nicer too. Supposedly they are not as good as Michelins on a dry road, but I could not feel any difference with my driving style. And this is XC90 after all...<p>I am very happy with Conties.<p>Oh, and they are M+S rated, and as I said - I felt that I am driving a different car on a snow, after changing the tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: which tires to replace michelin mxm4s with (canndale)

I found these at Tires-Easy for $158 tax free. There has a been a lot of hype around these Responsedges and I am definitely interested. Delivery is $20 each and my local guy can fit and balance for $15 each - making c$775. I just haven't read any reviews by serious car owners who put down their hard-earned cash. My local Goodyear guy says they are not even available in the midwest in this size yet. Interesting test at -<p><A HREF="http://autonet.ca/Parts/Tires/story.cfm?story=/Parts/Tires/2006/04/07/1524758.html" TARGET="_blank">http://autonet.ca/Parts/Tires/....html</A><br>

·
Registered
699 Posts

The tread pattern does not look aggressive enough to be effective in snow or dirt/mud. I would think they are more of a street only use with limited snow traction. <p>

·
Registered
927 Posts

I'm going with the Goodyears. Local chain here can get them for ~$172 each (I'd do Tire Rack, but they don't list the proper size and also don't respond to inquiries, so they lost the sale anyway). The ResponsEdge looks very promising.<br>

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: which tires to replace michelin mxm4s with (TomW)

Well, after some checking it turns out that GY hasn't even scheduled production of the 235/60-18 ResponsEdge, and does not anticipate doing so until end of year. Can't wait until then and Michelin is - how you say - le non-option...<p>Looking now at the Goodyear RS-A, which is available.<br>

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: which tires to replace michelin mxm4s with (TomW)

I will recommend take a second look at Continental CrossContact LX.<p>Very good all-season tire, with harder compaund = longer life, available through tirerack.com @$127 a piece.<p>Looks great (like a real SUV tire), and I have found it quite good on a snow and ice due to the large thread pattern and deep and wide logitudinal grooves.<p>The road noise seems to be the same as a stock Michelin, so as a dry and wet handling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts