SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the option to get one of these two cars and I was hoping to find out more about the pros and cons of each on this forum. I tried to search but I currently only have an iPad and for some reason the search fxn is messing up. Anyway, the s60r has 10,000 less miles and comes with a nav system, premium sound, a moonroof, and the body kit. I'm really not sure what options the s40 has.... But I think it's mostly stock. One thing that annoys me is the s60r is all black with tinted windows and a body kit and looks too testosterone filled for me.

The price is the same.

Which would you buy??

·
Registered
207 Posts
That depends, i wanted the new dash so i went for the S40 T5, and with tuning the same power as a standard S60-R.
if you go for power choose the S60R. if you choose desing the s40

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
no need to double post this in two forums............and as I said in the other thread, not enough information to make a call

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I was in similar shoes a while ago. Basically I decided on the s40 t5 awd for a few reasons. As people mentioned the new design of the center console is pretty awesome. Looks are sort of similar but why I stayed away from the s60r was the AWD problems it could potentially has because of its horsepower. Bevel gear IIRC or what not. I am not sure what the difference between the s40 awd and s60r is but i figured less HP should last longer.

That said whatever choice you do you wont go wrong. Volvo is best!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies, I was hoping to hear why individuals decided on one car over the other... and so I thought less information would be ok. Also, I posted in both forums because I figured the S60r forum would likely say.... Go s60r... And same for the s40 forum. Just attempting to limit bias :). What more information should I provide??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks deviation. So im assuming bevel gear is a common failure (I have no idea what that is)... Do you know if it is an expensive fix? What's the word on reliability of a s40 vs an s60r??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bought my '07 S40 T5 with 60,300 miles on it mid-July 2010, now it has 112,500 miles on it. Running like a champ currently, with Castrol Edge w/ Syntec and 93 gas, have only experienced typical failures such as PCV (CPO fixed), TCV (CPO fixed), wheel bearing (CPO fixed), and intermittent A/C (Post-CPO, fixed DIY with no cost except time). Dependability has been admirable so far, and it is an amazingly fun car to drive (mine is stock and it's still damn fun), so I can only recommend it. The trim options available on the T5 should factor into the decision, so find out if it has the Premium and/or Climate package.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You will get much better gas milage with S40, and i think they look little better

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i really like the s60r but the s40 its a bit more reliable...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
S60R. IT's a bigger car, and faster.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
K16 and "the faster problem" its solved ....
s60 turning radius really sucks (used to have one)

the only really thing i like more about the s60 its the rear end .....sexy sexy :D

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
You can make that S40 really really fast without the headaches of R maintenance. (partly why I got a 2.5 and made it look like an R)

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Would go P1 chassis no question. The P2 problems and reliability issues arent worth the extra hassle.

Side note they seem to be holding their value better too. Was just back at the dealer talking with an old friend salesmen and was telling me the R's do t sell for **** but people come in requesting used P1's all the time.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I too would stick with a P1 chassis. You hear things like "oh the P2's can't turn worth a damn." But seriously, such a simple thing as that and a friends girl is considering getting rid of her S60 because it is a pain in the ass to use as transportation. Maybe we could try and pro and con chart.

S60:
Pro's
Big Power
Big Aftermarket
Essentially the "flagship" car of Volvo for a while.

Con's:
Reliability issues are somewhat common (big power in a big car)
Turning radius literally mirrors that of a truck.
The back seat is (to my understanding) smaller than P1's
Big car (heavy) (is a con to me as I enjoy backroads)

S40:
Pro's:
Smaller car (better gas mileage and handling)
More reliable

Con's:
Less aftermarket
Rather feminine car (there's a damn purse holder in it)
the f*cking turbo hotside and exhaust manifold are one piece :facepalm:

My story:
Years ago a friend of mine had an S60R. I fell in love with the thing, modded, very clean, the sound of that 5 cyl turbo, etc, etc. When I started looking for one, I started finding out about the cons and it made me reel back and really take a second look. One evening, I'm chatting with a friend and he mentions this unicorn of a car, an S40 that has the same amenities of the R: 5 cylinder turbo, AWD, and, if lucky enough, a 6 speed on the floor. So more research time. I came to the conclusion that it was a much better car for my purposes.

This is the part where I point you toward my signature and start hip thrusting because I found one of the damned things :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts