SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my quest to figure out which would be the most reliable S80... Im requesting your input. Any additional info on the trouble you've had is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Re: Which S80 do you have, any problems? (TurboMoose)

tranny is fine at 108K. i have blue moon problems starting the car though; you have to go through a lock/unlock sequence with the door key/push button. it's software probably fixed somewhere; but i don't get updates.

Modified by SkyWriter at 3:50 PM 6-28-2006

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Which S80 do you have, any problems? (Muskoka)

Yeah, I read that... didnt make me happy. I think Im going to abandon the search for the S80 and settle on an S60 T5 even tho there is a huge loss of interior room. But, I like the exterior styling more. But it's not for me...
I just cant take another gamble on a car again.
I just have this strong feeling the S80 will burn me eventually.

·
Registered
267 Posts
2004 2.9, no issues, 16,000 mi and counting

·
Registered
7 Posts

99 S80 2.9L, purchased 3/05, 32K miles, all maintance preformed by local Volvo dealer (very good mechnic). All upgrades completed. Present mileage 41K. Tranny Flushed, all service done on time. Only problem Tail light burned out twice. Replaced with cheap bulb for quick fix first time, will not do that again. Last Volvo S/W upgrade seems to be not as good as previous version, car seems a little slower to respond.

Installed since new:
K&N filter
New NGK plugs
Changed to synthetic Oil, Including Tranny (Flushed)
Mileage, 18-19MPG in town, 32MPG road, (running Amoco 89 Octane only)

Have had the car over 120 several times great for USA, not a solid as my BMW was but that in Germany.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just did my 3K LOF (Lube, Oil, Filter) with my mechanic. everything is shipshape! just needed to change a flakey position lamp.

114,000 miles and still going strong.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Re: (SkyWriter)

bbrrrttzzz! got the dreaded S1 solenoid error, and the S80 is out of the game for the winter. going for a levelten rebuild, plus some other work.

on another note: i bought a 98 S70-T5 to hold me over. boy what were they thinking? this thing sucks! after my suspension work on the S80; this S70 is a horror show on wheels. forget about the interior, no contest.... oh well, more reason to get the S80 running.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Re: (SkyWriter)

called levelten, definately going with the upgrade and torque converter. extra price is fine compared to the swap cost, and stock rebuild. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: (iggy637)

"If you purchase and S80 just buy a warranty."

and, get a second job, and marry someone rich to pay for all the problems you WILL HAVE with your new Ford and buy alot of books for all those times you will spend at the dealers when they tell you you can wait for your service, it wont be long and 6 hours later they are dusting you off.

No more volvos for me.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Re: (zipper)

Quote, originally posted by zipper »
No more volvos for me.

all cars suck for one reason or the other. it's the mechanics that make the difference.

i pick volvos primarly because my local indie rocks. we've been together nearly 20 years.

·
Registered
110 Posts

All cars can suck is right!! If you are buying a used car expect problems sooner or later. I remember reading about how much money it takes to maintain a Ferrai that is actually driven.......But Im sure everyone would (if money wasn't an issue of course) love to own one..... Ten people will have ten different reasons why don't like a carmaker. But I do find it amazing that if bigger car company buys another car company..... in peoples eyes they become all the bad things the bigger car company is
. I think Volvo maintains the same integrity it has before Ford took them over. Cars become more technical because buyers demand more technology in their cars. Problems will occur. When you buy any high price used car with mileage there is a high price to pay when the parts start going bad. Right? Right. I guess the best thing to do is to buy a old generic car thats easy to maintain by yourself and stay away from cars that are expensive to repair. All cars eventually end up in the shop. The warranty just eases the pain alittle......

·
Registered
7 Posts

2000 2.9 w/87,000 miles

Off the top of my head the following has been replaced on the car:

1. Control arm bushings and spring mounts (front only) $800+
2. Two full sets of badly warped rotors (could be driver error)
3. Internal engine Emissions equipment clogged (need to dig up records but this was big $750+)
4. Burnt wiring plugs in Headlamps and License plate harnesses (bulb intermittance) Volvo Lamps - OEM Wattages
5. Two O2 sensors...
6. Driver/Passenger Console armrest cover replaced (severe cosmetic)
7. HU801 ate 4 CD's requiring manual regurgitation at radio repair shop.
8. Throttle-body software recall (made wonderful difference in parking manuevers and general throttle response).

Now I'm reading more posts on Transmission Issues - I sometimes feel that the tranny is intermittantly "notchy" (in comparison my Audi A4) and operates not-so-smoothly under light and hard acceleration. At this time, I'm not overly worried about it - doesn't seem to be a "describe-able and repeatable" issue warranting a visit to mechanic...

Primarily highway driven, 3,000 mile intervals = mineral oil change

·
Registered
689 Posts
Re: Which S80 do you have, any problems? (milk_badger)

Quote, originally posted by milk_badger »
8. Throttle-body software recall (made wonderful difference in parking manuevers and general throttle response).

really? i should get mine done. then i can send the ECU to IPD to reload ECU while the cars off the road (for tranny issues anyway).

·
Registered
116 Posts

and, get a second job, and marry someone rich to pay for all the problems you WILL HAVE with your new Ford and buy alot of books for all those times you will spend at the dealers when they tell you you can wait for your service, it wont be long and 6 hours later they are dusting you off.

No more volvos for me.

A Ford is probably much more reliable than a Volvo. We have a beated up '99 Ford van at work. It has over 80k miles, and the only problem we ever had was a bad water hose connection. We spent $2 and fixed it in 10 min. A brand new '04 Volvo we got spent 12 days in the shop during the first month of ownership.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

No more volvos for me.

For whatever it is worth
In my personal experience - modern Volvo is very reliable and has exceptional longevity

I have 2000 S80 with 125K miles - going very strong, having "like new" feel inside and out,
and 2004 XC90 with 50K miles - "show room demo" feel inside and out, 0 (zero) defects.

Although, to be honest, I have bought an extended warranty for both of them. Just to have a peace of mind.

You do not have to marry someone rich to have that peace of mind - unless you live under the Brooklyn bridge and having extra $2000 makes you rich...
.. then does any one from under the Brooklyn bridge buys S80?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts