So I'm looking at two S60R's. They are broken down like this:

1. Mr. Scary Silver
  • Silver
  • cheap at $4k
  • needs paint work due to the factory body work being hashed
  • warning for bulb out and SRS lit
  • runs and drives out good
  • MANUAL
  • Factory front bumper was pulled off snapping all the mounts and hastily reinstalled.

2. Red
  • RED!!!
  • Automatic
  • 107k on it
  • $7k
  • Better interior
  • exterior almost flawless
  • an auto, damnit
  • No factory body kit.
  • Seems more responsibly owned.

So, about me. I'm an expert mechanic. Full body off truck work for Japanese trucks and off road racing, and an enormous amount of experience with euro cars. I have owned 5 Volvo turbo back in the day. So I'm not jumping into this unawares. What says the forums about these two potential cars?

·
Registered
174 Posts
what state do you want to travel to...?

It was hard to drive a new one off the lot 10 years ago without scraping the chin. New painted nose is ~ $700 iirc. I only pulled mine once, but the mouting hdwe seemed like mostly cheap plastic bits, but you can look that stuff up on www.tascaparts.com iirc if you want to see what you're up against with that probably minor issue.

It's hard to find 2 Rs that are (especially that ride; some 4C systems work more poorly than others) the same; unless/until you critically judge each one's suspension -- and even afterward, so critical are tires, pressures, bushing condition, etc -- you won't know how nice(-ridng) a caR it might be. On mine the LCA bushings are only good for ~ 30K miles, and they're totally shot by ~ 70K mi. IOW, some parts of the caR are so frail (or, in this case, abused by the panicky suspension computer) that there's no diff between 107K and 177K. Others are so robust that there's no diff! The red one (probably? 10 yrs old already?) needs a timing belt (kit).

The 6-spd automatic is a gem; possibly the best part of the caR (especially those with the corrected valve body ... too bad they don't know when to shift when not at/near sea level). Supposedly the 5-spd can't handle as much torque, but plenty of folks have found otherwise.

I encountered the Sliver one by happenstance (I'd never seen it before, even though he doesn't live far from me), ~ 2 months ago; I think the asking price was 4400 then. He didn't seem like the type that would have been driving it hard, it apparently just didn't get maintained well, at least in terms of cosmetics.

Goofy Volvo ... I've read that unplugging the climate controls on these caRs w/o first disconn the batt is all it takes to trigger an SRS warning light that only someone with VIDA can reset, so it's possible(?) that there is no error condition, or a serious expensive one, such as one or more missing airbags, associated with that error warning...

I'm personally not a fan of silver, but I am a fan of stealth; drive any car long enough with arrest-me red paint and it will inevitably earn its name...

If you want a manual, and you know how to wrench, you can fix a lot of stuff for $3000. OTOH, the AWD powertrain can eat up (the bulk of) $3000 pretty quickly... Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
The year in question for each is critical. What years?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
13,505 Posts
Welcome aboard.

To me it really comes down to whether you want a manual or an automatic. If you want a manual, keep looking, they are out there.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Need pictures and years:

Cheap R=bad R. All well sorted Rs cost about 8k when it's all said and done so it's a question of whether you want to do it yourself or have it done prior. Also depends on whether you do your own work. The 3k delta between the 2 can be eaten up quicklo in a clutch,flywheel,4C refresh, and PCV system (and that assumes 0 labor cost). Get both scanned with VIDA and see whether either have had shocks done. The 107k mile one is gonna need them. If the auto is 06 make sure the tranny is good.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I bought the silver one. Oddly it was better off than the red one. Had new rear shocks not long ago, better interior, etc. t belt at 120k, but red had it only a few thousand ago. Both were 05 MY.

I figured both had a hashed suspension, but the silver one just needed new tires and then it drove mostly fine.

Silver needs a new coil pack for number 3 I think. Intermittent faults for cylinder 03 misfire.

I will take pics as I put it back together.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
So I bought the silver one. Oddly it was better off than the red one. Had new rear shocks not long ago, better interior, etc. t belt at 120k, but red had it only a few thousand ago. Both were 05 MY.

I figured both had a hashed suspension, but the silver one just needed new tires and then it drove mostly fine.

Silver needs a new coil pack for number 3 I think. Intermittent faults for cylinder 03 misfire.

I will take pics as I put it back together.
Cylinder 3 misfire is probably a coil yeah. I'd do them all, they're on sale at iPd for $43 each... However, if you start losing coolant... You're in for a bad time. The B5254T4 has a propensity for cylinder liner cracks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
#2 for sure , plus red is sweet to bad it's a auto tho ......on #1 177k run from that

FYI I'd sell you my R for 8k

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL - I would have bought a well sorted R for $8k with lower miles. That said, if I can't fix this one easy I can part it and not lose much I would think.

And I hate to see some of these cars go to the breakers. I'll enjoy bringing it back to good.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
LOL - I would have bought a well sorted R for $8k with lower miles. That said, if I can't fix this one easy I can part it and not lose much I would think.

And I hate to see some of these cars go to the breakers. I'll enjoy bringing it back to good.
If you have the money, restore that bitch! SAVE EVERY R!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Exactly. 2004 - 2005? Run for your life.
Very flawed thinking and I don't blame you. Some forum talk and what not will give the early years bad rep but it's a terrible way to think when buying an R.

Maintenance is the only factor you should be looking at when buying one, as I've seen R's with double the mileage walk circles around other R's simply because owners are meticulous. At my friend's shop we joke around about how majority of 06-07 that we get are plagued with one problem after another. Him and I both have 04's, and they have been very reliable needing only regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
04 has you beat we can trick the 4c and avoid the warning msg lol. All kidding aside nothing wrong with what you paid for on that R knowing it needed some tlc you may come out ahead.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If you can DIY a project car is usually always the best bang for the buck. When I was young and had more time than money that was the only way I could have a nice ride, lol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup.

We are gonna see if it needs a new motor soon LOL. The cylinder 3 misfire wasn't the coil (swapped with 1), and the spark plug looked good and was volvo spec.

I have the fuel pressure sensor warning as well as a MAF warning I think has cleared after I cleaned the MAF.

Stock air filter was HOSED. Never seen an air filter so clogged. I'm going to start a separate thread to talk about putting it back together.

If you can DIY a project car is usually always the best bang for the buck. When I was young and had more time than money that was the only way I could have a nice ride, lol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup. That is my next activity - it's probably the fi. If not a local yard has a 70k motor available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts