SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for tire recommendations for my V90 CC T6 w/ 20" wheels.

Current issues with the OEM Pirellis: Lots of steering correction needed on freeway (even with recent alignment), instability on exit ramps during spirited moments ;)

Wish list: A nice blend of good dry handling/cornering, rain handling (no snow or ice), ride comfort, quietness

Thank you in advance for any input :)

- 2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 / 27,000 miles / Crystal White on Blond / Convenience, Luxury, B&W, HUD, Air Suspension
- 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero SportCombi / 70,000 miles / Steel Grey on Charcoal / 5-Speed Automatic / Maptun Software Upgrade

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
931 Posts
I would point you towards the Michelin CrossClimate SUVs. I ordered the same ones for my V90CC T6 in 245/45R20. Also, these tires work well in freezing climates (snow/ice/slush included) as well, just in case. I won't be able to give you a personal review of the tires as I still am on my stock Pirellis with 70k miles, but, will be changing soon, before it starts snowing here. Google reviews if needed and see what people have to say.

·
Registered
157 Posts
All the reviews I've read like the Cross Climate SUVs and also the second generation Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, which apparently have improved snow and ice performance over the 1st gen that Volvo uses. As far as I know, only the Michelins have the winter snow rating symbol, making them legal to use in most (all?) States during "snow emergencies" when winter tires or chains are mandated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Depends on where you live and winter conditions. I live in Maine and have a rural camp some distance away up in the north woods. I am a big believer in dedicated winter tires. I couldn't stand the ride with the factory 20". I bought 18" TSW Chronos wrapped in Firestone Indy 500 275/40. Awesome summer tire, read the reviews. for winter Motegi MR131 wrapped in Nokian 245/45, excellent tire when you really need to get where you want to go. It NEVER ceases to amaze me people use crappy all weather tires under a 55K car carrying their families!! in really bad weather conditions....really?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Depends on where you live and winter conditions. I live in Maine and have a rural camp some distance away up in the north woods. I am a big believer in dedicated winter tires. I couldn't stand the ride with the factory 20". I bought 18" TSW Chronos wrapped in Firestone Indy 500 275/40. Awesome summer tire, read the reviews. for winter Motegi MR131 wrapped in Nokian 245/45, excellent tire when you really need to get where you want to go.
It NEVER ceases to amaze me people use crappy all weather tires under a 55K car carrying their families!! in really bad weather conditions....really?
Because EVERYONE doesn't follow your lead you have to continually try to shame people......really?

·
Registered
330 Posts
im a big fan of michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ for sport luxury cars. feedback from customers that have made the change is positive. good grip in dry and wet weather, ride quiet and smooth and wear much more evenly than oem pirelli tires. winter tires for heavy snow or extreme cold but doesnt sound like a problem for you. crossclimate is a new tire some people like, more aggressive tread though and i can feel it. probably on par feeling with oem tires with 27k on them, maybe a bit better

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
931 Posts
you got 70k miles on the stock Pirellis?...first set?...second set? :confused:
Nope. The first set. They will probably last about 10-15k miles more but I don't want them to go through their 3rd Michigan winter. I'll be doing the change-over after my upcoming Texas trip, and getting the Michilins for my NM, AZ trip, and of course, MI local winter driving.

More than 90% of my driving is Interstate with minimal braking and stops, so maybe that's why. Btw, the stock Pirellis have never given me any issues whatsoever. If they were any better in snow/ice, I would actually buy them again, but unfortunately, they aren't the best all weathers out there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd recommend the Pirelli P7 Cinturato, it is an all-weather tire but it has great grip on dry and wet, even in the snow (even if not needed, or in a pinch if you plan to use winter tires). They are also just as quiet as the foam-filled Pirelli Scorpios...without the trickery of foam. Also, very good rolling control during spirited turns.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=220

·
Registered
311 Posts
I’ve been happy with the stock pirellis on my V90CC, but we put Michelin CrossClimates on our XC90 last year. So far, very happy with them. We didn’t get much in way of snow, but they have been great in the rain and dry.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
We put on a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5’s (245/45-20). Great performing tires in all conditions and low priced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
im a big fan of michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ for sport luxury cars. feedback from customers that have made the change is positive. good grip in dry and wet weather, ride quiet and smooth and wear much more evenly than oem pirelli tires. winter tires for heavy snow or extreme cold but doesnt sound like a problem for you. crossclimate is a new tire some people like, more aggressive tread though and i can feel it. probably on par feeling with oem tires with 27k on them, maybe a bit better
Do you recommend these tires when one lives in southern california with no snow and very little rain?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
931 Posts
We put on a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5’s (245/45-20). Great performing tires in all conditions and low priced.
Good to hear. When shopping for my next set of tires, I had shortlisted the Cross Climate SUV, Quatrac 5, and Toyo Celcius. Strangely, I got the best deal on the expensive Michelins, so went for it. Have heard a lot of good things about Vredestein.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any tire recommendations for people living in southern California where there is no snow? I think this all weather tires must do some compromises to accommodate the needs of all kind of weather and if I don't drive through snow why should I use those type of tires? Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW a friend of mine owns a tire store. He said out of all the worn tires he has seen come in that Continental wear the best...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Because EVERYONE doesn't follow your lead you have to continually try to shame people......really?
continually?? And how on earth would EVERYONE follow my lead?, a little presumptuous of you isn't it? When I stop to help people in the winter in their 70K Suburbans down in a ditch, what do I hear...."but it has four wheel drive, but it has all seasons, etc. etc". If you are going to drive in 6-8" of snow and on hardpacked snow covered roads for months on end what do you think would be best, all seasons or a real snow tire. Wh do you think many states and Canada MANDATE the use of real snow tires, not all season excel at nothing tires?

·
Registered
795 Posts
continually?? And how on earth would EVERYONE follow my lead?, a little presumptuous of you isn't it? When I stop to help people in the winter in their 70K Suburbans down in a ditch, what do I hear...."but it has four wheel drive, but it has all seasons, etc. etc". If you are going to drive in 6-8" of snow and on hardpacked snow covered roads for months on end what do you think would be best, all seasons or a real snow tire. Wh do you think many states and Canada MANDATE the use of real snow tires, not all season excel at nothing tires?
LOL - Like I said. :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts