SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 07 is a New BMW trade in. 1 owner no accidents and newish good year tires it’s a 3.7 out of 5 on condition report. Main flaws are cracked and weathered headlamps and a few scratches in the black paint

The 11 is a trade in at Porsche Audi store. 2 owner no accidents and new generic tires. It is a 4.6 out of 5 on condition which is unheard of considering 132k miles. I have a hard time finding a 2018 CPO Volvo with 5000 miles and that high of a score.

We already have a niece at college in a 07 3.2 and she has logged close to 40k on it fairly trouble free. Hers is a 2wd so we are pretty familiar with them.

The 11 v8 has Bluetooth and backup camera. So there is a strong appeal because of those safety features But I have ZERO knowledge and experience with the v8. I’m a 5cyl turbo guy myself.

This car is for the second neice headed off to college She has been driving a hemi powered commander which is staying home for the neice turning 16 next month. I am a dealer and I am buying one of the 2 tomorrow. $10k budget so I’m good there.

But which one? Any ideas? Thoughts? Thank you. Joe

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Last year of the V8, it's as "new" as you'll ever get in this powertrain variant.

8 year old car, 132k miles so serp needs done before the car goes off to college. It'll be a good time to do a full fluid swap as well, just to know it's done. Check up top, should a little bit seepy on the top of the back bank at this mileage unless someone has already done valve cover gaskets or deep cleaned the engine. The upper torque mount will be shot unless it's been replaced in the last could years.

Likely an Executive, if it's an R/D you'll have found a very rare vehicle.

Good luck

·
Registered
621 Posts
Go for the 2011. Just because it has Bluetooth. Your daughter grew up with Bluetooth. She will never forgive you for getting an old car without Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go for the 2011. Just because it has Bluetooth. Your daughter grew up with Bluetooth. She will never forgive you for getting an old car without Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bluetooth...Yes I mean I know it sounds silly to choose a car for that and back up cam. I just needed a lil V8 encouragement. Don’t care about fuel economy. Tho I should.

I ran a carfax on both the 61k mile had a super carfax up until about 2010 and 30k miles when it moved from Alabama to Georgia then nothing else a couple of the Volvo dealers her in Atl do not report to carfax.

I ran a carfax on the 11 and holy smokes it’s full! All the way to 131k. All dealer service with exhaustive replacement details. So that was awesome.

Keep y’all posted auction starts at 1130 eastern. The 11 is up first. Thx. Joe

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not heard of the executive. What is an R/D sorry. I been lookin around in this crazy reliable yet go anywhere xc70 that I don’t have to come here often

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok v8 it is. I may buy both tho

·
Registered
493 Posts
V8 is the way to go here. If I were going for a 3.2L, I'd be after the "S5" variant which debuted in the 2011 model year.

-Ryan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I just got it. Duh. R design. Lol. Yes heard of those very nice. Here is the equip on the v8

3rd Row Seat
Back-Up Camera
Blind Spot Monitor
Bluetooth Connection
Climate Control
Fog Lamps
Heated Front Seat(s)
HID headlights
Integrated Turn Signal Mirrors
Multi-Zone A/C
Power Driver Seat
Power Passenger Seat
Premium Sound System
Rain Sensing Wipers
Rear Parking Aid
Satellite Radio
Seat Memory
Tire Pressure Monitor
Woodgrain Interior Trim

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
It's not an R/D, "Woodgrain Interior Trim" is the giveaway.

2011 brochure does not list a V8 R/D for 2011 (just the 3.2), my mistake.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just got it. Duh. R design. Lol. Yes heard of those very nice. Here is the equip on the v8

3rd Row Seat
Back-Up Camera
Blind Spot Monitor
Bluetooth Connection
Climate Control
Fog Lamps
Heated Front Seat(s)
HID headlights
Integrated Turn Signal Mirrors
Multi-Zone A/C
Power Driver Seat
Power Passenger Seat
Premium Sound System
Rain Sensing Wipers
Rear Parking Aid
Satellite Radio
Seat Memory
Tire Pressure Monitor
Woodgrain Interior Trim

That is a very highly optioned car.
Only missing alarm and front parking sensors and rear set entertainment
The back up camera is invaluable for these cars.

Go for it. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm surprised so many people said go for the 2 owner car with double the mileage, with more expensive maintenance, and generic tires which usually is a flag the last owner didn't care anymore and just wanted the cheapest thing that was rated - which usually signals that how they treated the rest of maintenance cycle.
-VS-
The 1 owner car with half the mileage and less expensive maintenance.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I'm surprised so many people said go for the 2 owner car with double the mileage, with more expensive maintenance, and generic tires which usually is a flag the last owner didn't care anymore and just wanted the cheapest thing that was rated - which usually signals that how they treated the rest of maintenance cycle.
-VS-
Apples and oranges, if you want to equate the two cars and apply logic strictly to mileage, go right ahead. They're not the same vehicle. And Ryan's point about the S5 after 2011 is especially apt.

That you are "surprised" is not surprising to me, you're new to this vehicle and it's your first Volvo. Go drive a V8 XC90 and let us know if you still feel the same.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
-VS-

I bid the 11 to $7000 someone snuck one in for $7100 to grab it The carfax had exhaustive service history. It was nice

The 07 comes up in 35 cars. I won’t let it get away.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bid the 11 to $7000 someone snuck one in for $7100 to grab it The carfax had exhaustive service history. It was nice

The 07 comes up in 35 cars. I won’t let it get away.
And it got away as well. Both cars were getting so many bids it was insane. Both sold to floor bidders and left us internet bidders in what felt like a delay. Damnit. The 07 sold for $6300. At least I am gaining some knowledge on the v8. And we will see what next week brings. Thx for the advice!

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
948 Posts
Apples and oranges, if you want to equate the two cars and apply logic strictly to mileage, go right ahead. They're not the same vehicle. And Ryan's point about the S5 after 2011 is especially apt.

That you are "surprised" is not surprising to me, you're new to this vehicle and it's your first Volvo. Go drive a V8 XC90 and let us know if you still feel the same.
+1. They are vastly different experiences. I was living in blissful ignorance with my ‘04 2.5T until its demise last summer. I had no real appreciation of this next level of heaven in the 1st gen XC90 until I got the V8.

BD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
+1. They are vastly different experiences. I was living in blissful ignorance with my ‘04 2.5T until its demise last summer. I had no real appreciation of this next level of heaven in the 1st gen XC90 until I got the V8.

BD
I totally agree. And if you're like me and living in an area with little to no neighbors (or simply don't care), there's nothing like opening up the V8 exhaust to sound like a grumble-truck all the while driving around in your understated and classically styled Volvo wagon. :cool:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I have a couple posts from the pre-2010 period where I was more than critical of Volvo's decision to shoehorn a V8 into this vehicle. Made no sense to me at the time, a Volvo with a Yamaha V8. No sense at all.

I cannot find my old posts, would correct them now if I could.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
But this isn't about "me".

I would choose the V8 for a number of personal reasons understanding what all came with that selection and the cost, drawbacks, and potential unknowns involved.
Did you read who the intended purchase is for? His niece, who is going to college. College = Not a lot of expendable income for most students. So, who's doing the maintenance?
Because while this may be my first Volvo, this is 4th foreign luxury marque, and I know how much premium cars are after 100K miles when most enter their critical service windows, and the V8 he's considering is about 18,000 miles away from the major *and expensive* 150K mile service.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts