SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Re: Which Oil? Volvo (vintagemilano)

Castrol 0W30 is very good Group IV oil (PAO basestock--not Group III like most of the Castrol Syntec line). This oil has a very record of UOA (used oil analysis) reports in performance and european engines. It is a thick 30W oil (nearly 40W) and it holds up well on extended drains of 5-8K miles (no shearing--stays in normal viscosity) and should be able to handle the demands of the R engine. I have this oil in my car now (I will change it and do a UOA in a few months). However until you do a UOA I would not trust any oil over 5-6K in this engine--and that is assuming you are using synthetic.

Mobil 1 0W40 on the other hand has a reputation of shearing out of grade rather rapidly and then thickening up on more extended drains (not ideal behavior--you want something that will continually protect the engine). I would suggest the Mobil 1 5W30 or 10W30 would be better choice in the Mobil 1 lineup--but I think Castrol 0W30 is probably the best of the oils you mentioned. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.