SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: Which model years had the turbo? (Poritz)

'81-'85 240 Turbo<br>'84-'88 760 Turbo<br>'85-'92 740 Turbo<br>'91-'95 940 Turbo

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Which model years had the turbo? (towerymt)

Thanks towerymt. I like the lines on the post '85 models but I like the idea of a turbocharged 240. My neighbor owns a post '85 240 that has over 150k on the odo. It also has some work needed on the interior. I want to get a 240 for under a thousand bucks so I can have some money left over for parts and tools. The next thing would be getting him to sell it to me when he gets a new car in the future (whenever that may be). If I were to get a post '85 model I would like to get one with a stick shift. I have found that those are incrediblely hard to find. Although I did see a diseal w/stick on ebay the other day.<p>What does anyone else know about buying a 240. towerymt has a great 240 site but the link on 240 Buying tips is now dead.<p>-Poritz

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: Which model years had the turbo? (Poritz)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If I were to get a post '85 model I would like to get one with a stick shift. I have found that those are incrediblely hard to find.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>I would strongly suggest a manual, especially if you get a 240 Turbo. The B21FT engine in the 240T only has 7.5:1 compression ratio, so when you're not in boost, the car is slow. The T3 turbo doesn't spool up very quickly either, so the low end power up to around 3000rpm is not too good, but 3k-6k+ will be very strong on the 240T. Also try to find an '84.5-'85 model because they are factory intercooled. Otherwise you'll be adding an intercooler kit to gain the extra ~30hp, plus the ability to further raise the boost. Some '83 242T's were intercooled from the factory too, but they are very rare. If you find an '81-'84 model with an IC, it was most likely added at the dealership when new, or sometime after it was first sold.<p>I'll see if I can find a working link to some kind of buyer tips page.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Which model years had the turbo? (towerymt)

towerymt, you know 240s very well and I believe that everyone in the Swedespeed community feels grateful, honored, & privlidged to have you here. Thank you for that valuable information. I feel much more informed about the 240 scene now.<p>-Poritz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts