SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My s60 has 118k miles on it. The local dealer said they almost never change fluids in the haldex or diffs so i am assuming that my fluid is original.
I want to change the fluid, however i am not sure what haldex system i have. Some of the things ive seen on here say Haldex 5. FCP euro shows haldex 4 kits. My car is a 2012.

I also plan to change the Diff and angle gear fluid. I am looking at using Motul 75w-90 full ester synthetic. How much do i need? I am thinking 2 liters? I know there are guides for the diff and angle gear but i cannot seem to find them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My understanding is that the 2011 and 2012 AWD S60s are Gen IV Haldex, while 2013+ cars are Gen V. But I could be mis-remembering. There's a lot of bench racing debate over whether the Gen V's removal of the accumulator makes it "worse" than the theoretically slightly faster reacting Gen IV design but I just can't imagine any practical difference in a street-driven car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi all,

My s60 has 118k miles on it. The local dealer said they almost never change fluids in the haldex or diffs so i am assuming that my fluid is original.
I want to change the fluid, however i am not sure what haldex system i have. Some of the things ive seen on here say Haldex 5. FCP euro shows haldex 4 kits. My car is a 2012.

I also plan to change the Diff and angle gear fluid. I am looking at using Motul 75w-90 full ester synthetic. How much do i need? I am thinking 2 liters? I know there are guides for the diff and angle gear but i cannot seem to find them.
2 quarts got me through angle gear + rear diff change. Since there's no drain plug, how much new oil you need completely depends on how much you extract out of it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info folks!

Do i need anything other than the Oil and crush washers for the angle gear and rear diff? is there a filter?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks for the info folks!

Do i need anything other than the Oil and crush washers for the angle gear and rear diff? is there a filter?
No filter. You'll need a pump though! And honestly I don't see the need for the crush washers. Just clean em up and reuse. Or change them if your anal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No filter. You'll need a pump though! And honestly I don't see the need for the crush washers. Just clean em up and reuse. Or change them if your anal.

When you say pump, you mean to get the fluid out rght, not the AOC? FCPs haldex kit comes with one.

·
Registered
775 Posts
When you say pump, you mean to get the fluid out rght, not the AOC? FCPs haldex kit comes with one.
Correct, fluid extraction pump is needed for the front / differential.

For the Haldex unit pulling the pump out is how you drain fluid.

Watch the videos I linked for a how to on these. Keep in mind they're on a MY15 but the process is the same.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Anyone try drilling a hole in diffs and then putting a 1/8 pipe plug in? I think I'm going to try this....have done it on many other cars with good results. That way get all oil out.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Anyone try drilling a hole in diffs and then putting a 1/8 pipe plug in? I think I'm going to try this....have done it on many other cars with good results. That way get all oil out.
How do you prevent metal shavings from the drilling and tapping from getting into the oil? Power flush through the fill hole or something?

·
Registered
687 Posts
My understanding is that the 2011 and 2012 AWD S60s are Gen IV Haldex, while 2013+ cars are Gen V. But I could be mis-remembering. There's a lot of bench racing debate over whether the Gen V's removal of the accumulator makes it "worse" than the theoretically slightly faster reacting Gen IV design but I just can't imagine any practical difference in a street-driven car.
Mine must be a late build cause my 2012 s60 has a Gen 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Do you need to change the differential oil pump when changing the fluid? I'm approaching 70k and would like to change out the fluid. Thanks!
Mine has 206K and I didn’t change the pump

·
Registered
915 Posts
How do you prevent metal shavings from the drilling and tapping from getting into the oil? Power flush through the fill hole or something?
Just a quick suck with a shop vac with the fill plug out when u are done, on the drain hole

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just a quick suck with a shop vac with the fill plug out when u are done, on the drain hole
I have trouble believing that would get all the shavings out given how viscous gear oil is. If the casing were completely dry, sure, but I'd expect shavings to be stuck to the oil residue even after taking a shop vac to the drain hole. Of course, there may not be enough to matter, especially if you can use a magnetic drain plug.

You've got me honestly considering this now.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine has 206K and I didn’t change the pump

Completely off topic, but have you had any major issues?
Ive replaced my PCV, Steering rack, one of my electric parking brake calipers, rear motor mount, brake booster oil seal, and the two front stuts. Im wondering if I should expect any more.

I am going to order the fluids this week, and hopefully change them this weekend.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Completely off topic, but have you had any major issues?
Ive replaced my PCV, Steering rack, one of my electric parking brake calipers, rear motor mount, brake booster oil seal, and the two front stuts. Im wondering if I should expect any more.

I am going to order the fluids this week, and hopefully change them this weekend.
Wow that’s a lot I’ve only had to replace the PVC. Brake booster seal ( thought needed to be changed but found out after that a squirrel ate through a vacuum line while parked at my parents house )

I did all the struts & mounts cause passenger side strut was seeping a little fluid

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Mine must be a late build cause my 2012 s60 has a Gen 5

How do you know which gen Haldex you have? Although mine is a very early 2011 (June 2010 build date) so I’d say it’s fairly certain I have the Gen 4, lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts