SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a 3rd edition. Curious what edition XC90 everyone else has, and how/whether it relates to certain issues they're having. So far no issues for me yet (no leaks after parking on an incline, no squeaking brakes yet, no Sensus reboots, etc.). Knock on wood...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
?! - I don't recall any mention of editions other than the first 1,927 individually numbered vehicles that were called First Editions (sometimes noted as FE on these forums).

So what's a second and third edition then?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yeah I don't get what you mean by edition as well. I have a first edition, but afaik there are no second editions and third editions. Mine says first edition on an emblem on the rear hatch, yours (the op) says third edition? I know it doesn't but I am just wondering what you mean, that's all.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
?! - I don't recall any mention of editions other than the first 1,927 individually numbered vehicles that were called First Editions (sometimes noted as FE on these forums).

So what's a second and third edition then?
That's what I'm thinking lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere else, which is part of the reason I created this post. I took delivery of the car before Christmas. There were a couple things in the glovebox:
1. A paper about battery testing. Others have posted about this already.
2. A yellow flier saying "2016 XC90 third edition".

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
First I'm hearing of it then. Only reference to edition people really use here is First Edition, to denote a vehicle which is one of the first 1,927 produced and individually numbered sold worldwide.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere else, which is part of the reason I created this post. I took delivery of the car before Christmas. There were a couple things in the glovebox:
1. A paper about battery testing. Others have posted about this already.
2. A yellow flier saying "2016 XC90 third edition".
Interesting ... I'll have to look through the few papers that I didn't closely look at tomorrow.

Do you know when your car was manufactured (either date or week number)? Was that flier from Volvo?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure when it was manufactured - is there supposed to be a document with a manufacturing date on it?

The flier could've been from anyone... It literally just said "2016 XC90 3rd edition" and nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Is there a mfg date on a sticker on the frame when you open the drivers door on the right 'b pillar)? I never looked to see if one was on mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is there a mfg date on a sticker on the frame when you open the drivers door on the right 'b pillar)? I never looked to see if one was on mine.
Yup, it's there. It says 11/15.
Mine was also delivered right before xmas. Was also built around 11/15. No major issues until today :(

I got the following message 'Blind Spot sensor service required'

Looks like Krexus poster got the same and he has 100km (I think)

So all three of us might have the '3rd Edition'...lol

Sorry to say..but the most recent edition is not bug free..maybe we got a different set of gremlins :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the yellow piece of paper in a plastic bag with the manuals. It says "2016 US 3rd Edition XC90 Only". I figure it s the manual's 3rd edition.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I got the yellow piece of paper in a plastic bag with the manuals. It says "2016 US 3rd Edition XC90 Only". I figure it s the manual's 3rd edition.
Bingo!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
That'd definitely be it.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I am in a loaner xc70 right now and just checked the glove box. There is a Ziploc bag with various stuff in it like USA consumer rights booklet, 206 warranty and maintenance booklet, VOC and roadside assistance info, pre delivery checklist and some Sirius XM and tire info along with a big green card covering it all saying "2016 - US 2nd edition all models except xc90"

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
So do you think the XC90 manufactured today is exactly the same in all the details as the one manufactured in the very first edition one year ago ? Nothing improved ?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
OP's flier was part of the package of documents that shipped with the car. It's referring to the edition of the owner's manual - as there have been several changes.
Online manual today is likely a newer edition that anyone has printed as CarPlay sections were added and some sections deleted.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So do you think the XC90 manufactured today is exactly the same in all the details as the one manufactured in the very first edition one year ago ? Nothing improved ?
I'm sure that there's a binder or two of process changes and perhaps a handful of slightly different parts that came about over the course of the manufacturing year. That doesn't mean that it's a different "edition," though. I would guess that, internally to Volvo, VIN and build week were a batter indicator of the actual revision of the XC90 process than an "edition" number could be.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Nope, I don't think any of us would say nothing has changed or has been improved upon now that cars are on the road since the first production XC90 came off the line. But that's different from this 'edition thing' that this thread is about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts