SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
That should work. Any Chinese DICE unit will work for VIDA and VDash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That should work. Any Chinese DICE unit will work for VIDA and VDash.
Thanks,

I've heard some are a bit dodgy and just wanted to ensure I hadn't ordered a rubbish unit.

Plus this guy is now telling me the unit needs Win7 32bit or XP. I have Win7 Pro 64bit machine with Vida installed. Hopefully my Vida installation will communicate with this Dice Unit

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks,

I've heard some are a bit dodgy and just wanted to ensure I hadn't ordered a rubbish unit.

Plus this guy is now telling me the unit needs Win7 32bit or XP. I have Win7 Pro 64bit machine with Vida installed. Hopefully my Vida installation will communicate with this Dice Unit
I ordered one from Aliexpress several years ago for a 2005 XC90 V8. Had great success with it for error codes and reading live data after drain and refill of auto transmission fluid. I actually thought I lost my first one during a move and ordered a second unit. Both worked great but one I had to update firmware on and thought I bricked it but a restart of laptop and it was fine after firmware update. I think the firmware update one was bought from ebay. The aliexpress was good to go straight out of the box. I did ebay because I needed it ASAP and didn't want to wait for slow boat shipping from China.

You will be pleased with the unit off Aliexpress I think. Good luck with it.

Robert

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's probable that all the aftermarket DICE units are Asian in origin, maybe even from one factory. Many have worked just fine, my eBay unit as well, but there are the units that are occasionally defective. It's best to have immediate testing ability when purchasing. Those that have had problems have been properly handled in terms of replacements or refunds, from what I've seen on this forum.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I first purchased one from eBay for $149.99 and although it would read the vehicle, it would not communicate with the various computer modules. The yellow USB Com light never illuminated. Returned it and got a refund.

Then I ordered one from Amazon for $249.99. On this unit the USB Com light did illuminate so I had hopes that this one would actually work. But same problem, no matter what I tried it too would not communicate with the modules. Returned this one and am currently waiting for the refund to show up on my card.

I suspect that both of these units came from the same supplier in California. Now I am not sure where to purchase from next but I will make sure that I have a clear understanding of their return policy before I pull the trigger.

As Capndirk mentioned, be sure to have VIDA installed on a computer before you order a DICE unit and be ready to test it within a few days of receiving it so if it doesn't work you can return it for a refund.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just to close this off. Received delivery of my Dice unit and all working well.

I wouldn't bother using the disk they supply with the VIDA software; better to have it pre-installed and ready to go through here https://volvodiag.com.

In case the link I provided originally stops working in future, the seller on Amazon is called "OBD2HOME STORE".

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just to close this off. Received delivery of my Dice unit and all working well.

I wouldn't bother using the disk they supply with the VIDA software; better to have it pre-installed and ready to go through here https://volvodiag.com.

In case the link I provided originally stops working in future, the seller on Amazon is called "OBD Home".
Completely agree on using Roxana's software.

I have not been able to find that seller on Amazon. Might you be able to supply a link?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Completely agree on using Roxana's software.

I have not been able to find that seller on Amazon. Might you be able to supply a link?
Sorry for the delay, didn't get an email notification. This is the one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001035344293.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dbcDwfI

Edit... This link above will also eventually expire so for those who may be interested in future, the seller on Aliexpress is called OBD2HOME STORE so you can look them up directly and search within the store for the unit. This is their direct link https://www.aliexpress.com/store/4431019?spm=2114.12010614.pcShopHead_6583847.0

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thank you! For some reason I got an "expired web page" notification using the link posted in your first post. Now that works for me too.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
looks like obd2home Store sells 2 different kinds of DICE dongles. one is a grey volvo looking one:

and then there's a yellow "VXDIAG" one:

and a third one i found on a different aliexpress store claims to be the "newest":

which one should i get?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm intrigued by the SuperTool unit, as it looks to be a physical re-do of the DICE. Interesting is that there appears to be a USB Bluetooth dongle with it. As far as I know, none of the DICE clones have working BT. As I hear it, genuine Volvo DICE units will communicate using BT IF there is a genuine Volvo BT dongle used, but not with built in or other types of BT hardware. Could be a BT dongle clone that works.
The other claim, that adding cars up to 2019 is interesting, and may just mean that 2015.5 + cars are available when connected via a Volvo VIDA subscription. Don't newer Volvo's have a special USB interface cable to talk to the mothership via subscription/dealer only?
To complicate things, Super Tool has another different DICE unit, but the "newest" shown above doesn't pop right up when searching.
Always one to adopt early, I would try the "newest" if:
1- I wasn't in a hurry. Slow boat from China, and all that.
2- If AliExpress has a really good return policy.

My concern is that VIDA 2014D is old software and hasn't been upgraded to work with more modern OBD interface devices. It would appear that the new-fangled DICE unit could be a modern re-pack of the basic DICE, but, in my IMO, if it doesn't look like, act like, talk like a real DICE; VIDA won't play with it. It may just be the same girl in a different dress.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as I know, none of the DICE clones have working BT. As I hear it, genuine Volvo DICE units will communicate using BT IF there is a genuine Volvo BT dongle used, but not with built in or other types of BT hardware. Could be a BT dongle clone that works.
if I'm just using it as J2534 pass-through, does it matter if it's wrapped around a bluetooth driver?

I guess another relevant question is if anybody here has any experience using ANY J2534 pass-through device to communicate with ANY VIDA install, and in particular Roxana's installations?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looks like obd2home Store sells 2 different kinds of DICE dongles. one is a grey volvo looking one:

which one should i get?

This is the one I purchased. I'm only new to this so for any instal questions go here https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?481385-VIDA-Dice-2014D-VM-Image-Download-Link

You need to remember that these are not original Volvo units, they are cheap counterfeits. The OEM hardware and software would cost many times more $$$.

I wouldn't bother with using the disk that comes with the unit, instead download the software through www.volvodiag.com. Get the software installed and running before ordering the unit.

·
Registered
235 Posts
^^ +1. The first two DICE units I bought did not have full function (would not read any of the vehicle modules). Third time was finally a charm. Definitely have VIDA operational so you can check the functionality of the DICE unit as soon as possible after receiving it. Also make sure there is a good return policy from wherever you buy it from so you can easily return a defective unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts