1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Which clutch?? (The_one_n_only)

Thanks for the reply.
Nothing within the Volvo range?
The S60 doesn't give a sigh with this amount of power but the 850 with a 3500 miles old clutch lost the battle already.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Kai, sorry but I meant if there is nothing available within the original Volvo parts range because the S60 can hold the power but the 850 can't.
I was wondering if the clutch assy of the S60 would fit the 850.
I'd prefer to order parts through the local Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Re: Which clutch?? (Johann)

Oh..I misunderstood you. From what I heard the finer differences among the Volvo trannies, you are better off to swap out the entire tranny itself than trying to find parts from different cars and put them together.

Back then I was even considering using the non turbo 850's manual tranny, don't know the model number (M??), since it was a non-floating flywheel design. Supposedly a bit easier to modify and strengthen to hold higher stress. But the parts dpt. from local dealers were just not very cooperative about it, and told us if the parts were special ordered and don't fit to our "special" use...they wouldn't take any return or would have pricey restocking fee incurred.

Major PIA to deal with the dealers...only if VCNA can see what I'm doing and bringing something to the Volvo aftermarket..maybe they would donate or lend me some parts to work with.

And of course, the aftermarket industry doens't look that well for the Volvo sector either. You are pretty outta luck. Just have to do some trial and error and see if S60's tranny components will fit on the 850. Let me know, I'd be interested to find out if you come across anything.

From what ATM was claiming...they said the 850R's manual tranny was the strongest they've found. Then again, they haven't worked on any newer FWDs....so, you might want to talk to them. They are using mostly factory R tranny parts on their 12s Volvos.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The tranny is brand new, only 3500 miles on it.
Even M59 boxes can break, I have seen 'm.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Re: Which clutch?? (Johann)

quote:

Even M59 boxes can break, I have seen 'm.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Anything can break; especially, when it comes to Volvo parts...just not meant to stand up to that kinda abuse we do when getting those few extra ponies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts