SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Brake Pads for BBK?

Which one should I use?<p>Textar @ $101 (Is this the OEM porsche 993 pad?)<br>Hawk HPS @ $104<br>Mintex Redbox @ $60<br><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by drPheta at 12:28 AM 8-10-2006</i>

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (doug242ti)

Thanks for looking out for me. I figured red box would suck, but wasn't sure on Hawk HPS.<p>Textar it is... unless I can source cheap C-Tech, Pagid, or Porterfields.<p>Oh what about EBC (green, red, or yellow?) They range from $68 for greens to $130 for yellows.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Re: (George @ ViVA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>George @ ViVA</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's easy to say "HPS sucks", but why do you think so? Many R owners are pleased with the HPS pads on several criteria (cold/hot performance, noise, dust levels). <p>if I were you Peter, I'd spring for the Porterfields...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Cold performance was awful, hot performance was marginally better than the OEM's and the noise was (litterally) 20000000000 times worse. <p>Mintexs would turn into oak blocks in the rain/cold. The only thing both pads did well was dust.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Re: (drPheta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>drPheta</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Oh what about EBC (green, red, or yellow?) They range from $68 for greens to $130 for yellows.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>never tried the EBC's with porsche calipers... but I've never been thrilled with the green's for the OEM volvo pads.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've never heard of anyone disappionted in HAWK HPS pads. I've used them on the street and track for many years in both my BMW E36 and Volvo 850. I couldn't be happier with the results. Next to no brake fade, my rotors gave up long before my pads did. There was almost no brake dust and it bites hard under hard braking (highway or track). The front end of Volvo's are very heavy, the initial bite in every brake pad I've used isn't great. However, under track conditions, I was very impressed. BTW, in my personal experience avoid PBR XBG metal masters. Very poor performance and high noise level. The only time they would start to bite would be when the pads were nearing brake fade. I've never used such a dead feeling brake pad in my life. I've tested quite a few pads and rotors and right now my setup is HAWK HPS pads w/ KVR slotted rotors. BTW, I haven't tested a pad that would cause major noise issues, you may want to check your rotors. I suggest using slotted rotors, anything else will pretty much squeek.<p>Bry<br><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by TRQSTEER at 5:24 AM 8-19-2006</i>

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Bry, I've used Hawks in the past before with out issue. Regardless, I've tried just about all the combinations on 993T CALIPERS + S60R discs and they've all made noise. Freshly turned (or new discs) were used before switching pad compounds every time. <p>The HPS's blew compared to the OEM porsche pads in every respect 'cept dusting and extreme temps. Could have just been this application but I was not impressed. I drove each pad compound for 1-4 months to give them an honest evaluation.<p>On my stoptechs Im still using Axiss Ultimate pads they shipped with. They are ok, intial bite is ok, hot performance is pretty good, dusting isn't to bad. The upside is they are extremely quiet. I might see if Axiss makes a listing for the 993TT calipers and put them on the wagon next and see how they do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts