SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and have had a look around but can't find a thread on the best bike rack options for a Volvo xc90.

I want to carry 3 bikes, we have a tow ball already installed.

I am looking at either of these options and wondered if anyone has any experience with either or would recommend something else.

Yakima FoldClick 3 E-Bike Towball Car Rack
Buzzrack E-Hornet 3-Bike Towball Car Rack

We will be driving long distances with the bikes (900-1000km) and so while we also have roof racks, having the bikes on the back of the car feels better? Open to suggestions if the roof rack option is worth considering.

I am in Australia so that also will guide me due to what's available here. The bikes we want to carry include one 24inch kids bike, 1 teenagers bike and 1 adult bike. No electric bikes.

Would really appreciate any recommendations or reviews if you have experience with this.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would look at what type of bikes you plan on carrying. If they are mountain bikes then they most likely will not have a straight top tube. I use a platform type of bike carrier that works well for me and was relatively inexpensive. Under $200. You can spend thousands but that does not make sense unless you do this every week. Yakima makes good (expensive) bike carriers as does Yakima. I would check out one of your larger bike shops and see what they are carrying. Often they will go with what works well and is reasonably priced. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kuat NV BASE 2.0 with addon for 2 more bike.

View attachment 71935

We have been using it for a couple of years now and it works great.
We have gone from very small kid bikes, to larger ones now.

The 2 gripes

1) Blind spot monitoring, and rear sensors are useless when it mounted.
2) The rack is really heavy

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use a Thule T2 pro 4 bike rack which does a great job handling our mountain bikes, dirt jumpers and bmx bikes. They can handle a broad range of bike types. It is ridiculously heavy though. The Kuat appears to be much lighter. I have also used a Yakima Hangover which is great for mountain bikes and the dirt jumpers. They sell one that can handle 6 bikes if you think you might get to that point. I often end up needing to bring 2 bikes for each of my kids and their friends because they will want to bring an enduro bike and a dirt jumper. I would consider looking for a used one. These things are stupid expensive. I got mine wholesale but they go for $1,000 and up. The Hangover is cheaper so if it will work for you it's a good option.

·
Registered
429 Posts
We have the Yakima Holdup 2. Used it for two Specialized 29'ers. It's a solid bike rack and makes it fairly easy to still access the third row.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts