SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, being a vintage Volvo noob I've never had much to contribute here, but have always enjoyed the posts-thank you!

A while back I posted a photo of my then-new '67 122S.

Mid-November, as I was heading home from Pioneer Square in Seattle and getting onto the Viaduct, I lost control of the car and hit the onramp sideguard.

I didn't intend on getting back into another Amazon for a while but earlier this year my mechanic had a nice '66 220 for sale at the right price and I couldn't pass it up! It's been upgraded to a B20 and overdrive, and I've been loving it.

Problem is that it's got rust issues to which I'm going to need to tend. As I've mentioned before, I'm not mechanically-inclined-my do-it-yourself know-how's limited to filling up gas, checking oil and filling up tires-and have no idea how to address the rusting. The biggest concern right now is the driver's floorpan, which is rusted through.

In general, the interior can get feeling pretty damp on the wet winter Seattle days, and while I don't have the cash to do anything drastic, I figure a reasonably prudent thing to do would be to address all rusting along the underside of the car and perhaps get all window and door seals replaced. I'm sure this is non-trivial and $$$ as is, but it'd allow me to have a reasonably dry car until I'm in a position for more extensive repair/repainting.

My mechanic's not willing to take on bodywork so I need to find an outfit who would. I've noticed a fair Northwest population here and was hoping you guys might be able to hook me up with someone who'd do quality work. Proximity to Seattle is obviously a plus, but I'd be willing to travel to Oregon, Idaho or BC for the right person. Ideally this project would build a relationship for that fatefully day when I strike gold and can do more extensive body restoration.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Wherein I discuss my crash, new wagon, and rust repair in the Pacific Northwest (exizldelfuego)

Hi there - being a newbie as well I've been pretty pleased with how little the floor sheet metal seems to cost. I can't offer any Volvo specific advice, but having replace several floors on other vintage cars it can be a fair amount of work. Depending on how rusted your floors actually are sometime a patch and rust proofing paint like POR15 can be pretty cost effectively done.

It also depends upon how "correct" you want the repair to be - the more correct the more you can usually expect to spend.

The wagon looks great BTW!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Re: Wherein I discuss my crash, new wagon, and rust repair in the Pacific Northwest (exizldelfuego)

I'm on the south end of Whidbey Island, and I'm willing to take it on. Please contact me directly:

editor AT vclassics DOT com

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Wherein I discuss my crash, new wagon, and rust repair in the Pacific Northwest (Phil Singher)

Quote, originally posted by tdskip »
Hi there - being a newbie as well I've been pretty pleased with how little the floor sheet metal seems to cost. I can't offer any Volvo specific advice, but having replace several floors on other vintage cars it can be a fair amount of work. Depending on how rusted your floors actually are sometime a patch and rust proofing paint like POR15 can be pretty cost effectively done. It also depends upon how "correct" you want the repair to be - the more correct the more you can usually expect to spend. The wagon looks great BTW!

Thanks! Your previous post was what prompted me to finally make my post, but I didn't want to hijack your thread. I think fixing the car up right is the best thing to do here, that way I never have to worry about it again.

Quote, originally posted by Phil Singher »
I'm on the south end of Whidbey Island, and I'm willing to take it on. Please contact me directly: editor AT vclassics DOT com

I've tried contacting you but but my messages keep getting bounced back; seems your ISP has been blacklisted by spamhaus.org
. I'm definitely interested in getting together to discuss the wagon. My contact info can be found on my website.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Wherein I discuss my crash, new wagon, and rust repair in the Pacific Northwest (Phil Singher)

Quote, originally posted by Phil Singher »
I'm on the south end of Whidbey Island, and I'm willing to take it on. Please contact me directly:

editor AT vclassics DOT com

Lucky you - I'd jump on that in a heart beat if I was local!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey all, just wanted to update that this past weekend I received my car back from Phil with new floorboards and many new window/door seals. Phil did an incredible job despite the various unforeseen problems that will always surface when taking on a project like this. His pricing is more than fair and he always kept me updated with where he was at and the quirks of my car he had to deal with. He was always on the lookout for small problems I didn't even know I had and addressed them. If you can make the trip out to Whidbey Island, I can't recommend working with Phil highly enough.

And if for some reason you can't make the trip out, you should figure out why and fix it. He lives in a beautiful slice of America and, if you're lucky, you'll get shuttled around in some very neat vehicles.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Wherein I discuss my crash, new wagon, and rust repair in the Pacific Northwest (gdill2)

Unfortunately I've none. With no means of hoisting the car and no idea how to disassemble-and more importantly, reassemble-the interior, I can't adequately take such photos. Phil did show me some of the remaining heap of rusted original/patched sheet metal he still had laying around, and I'll just say I'm really glad to be done of it.

I'll admit: I secretly wish I had a VClassics-style article documenting the project, but I've a clever idea to that end…

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Could you post your VIN? I have two of those gems, 44489 and 36025, both 1966s.
I got back into gas welding with the floor pans of 44489 in the Army auto craft shop at Albrook Air Force Station, Panama in the late 80s, prompted by a geyser under the passenger floormat as I crossed a rather deep puddle on Fort Clayton. In case you aren't aware, the mechanism is that moisture gets in around the windshield, oozes down the firewall and gets trapped in the jute matting under the rubber floor mat. The wet jute ferments, becomes acidic and rusts the floor through from the inside. Since it rains every day most of the year in that part of Panama it was really not a surprise. Keep good track of any apparent wetness in your car to avoid a recurrence!! And I sincerely hope Dr. Phil resealed your windshield.
BTW that project required 5 weekends, in part because the welding goggles covered the bifocals I had started wearing since I had done any serious gas welding. I now have goggles with magnifiers but have not done any gas welding since my return to the US in 1998. I got 16 gauge black arn and fabbed my own panels. Cutting the stuff was the hardest part.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Re: Wherein I discuss my crash, new wagon, and rust repair in the Pacific Northwest (Walrus3)

Ryan, thank again for your business, and especially for your kind words here.

George, I put on a new windshield seal, and also new front door seals and all four pillar seals (two were missing entirely). Cleaned out the cowl vent and drain as well.

I took a few pics of the old floors, but then got too busy to bother with more. The schedule started slipping right from the start, largely due to having to undo several layers of old, poorly done "repairs," and there was competition from an engine that absolutely had to be in California by a certain date...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts