SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we will be driving a brand new car in Sweden, I am concerned about where are the best places to park the car, especially in big cities like Gothenburg or Stockholm? Is it safe to park in public places, hotel parking lots, or are there more secure parking facilities around town? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Generally speaking both of those cities are safe places. Some hotels have their own parking lots underground, you can probably also find street parking for relatively less money but I can appreciate wanting to park in a lot with a brand new car. Your Volvo won't stick out in Sweden though ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Raddison Blu has an underground parking lot. They are dealing with these brand new Volvo's all of the time, so I am sure they are taking special care. When I was there 2 weeks ago, they were shuttling my XC90 and 2 others in and out. While in Gothenburg you can walk to most destinations from the Hotel, so you might want to keep it in their garage. I did not go to Stockholm, but visited a few other towns, and mainly parked in parking lots as far as I could from any other cars. Now anxiously waiting for my car to arrive in early September.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Anywhere outside of the larger cities is no issue. Driving in Gothenburg or Stockholm could be challenging. I know when were there, the hotel (Radisson Blu) was out of space. Driving in some of the older streets is particularly problematic due to width. However, the Swedes seemed to be managing fine. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wouldent be so nervous. I would say that Sweden is one of the most safest countrys in the world so you shouldent worry to much about that (your car). Volvo is also the most regular make here so people probably would not raise their eyebrows when driving your Volvo here. Exept if you come in a XC90 but even xc90 are starting to be a somewhat common sight on the roads here.

An advise: use this app (for the parking fee in Stockholm) : its gonna save you a lot of time :

https://appsto.re/se/TQUfS.i

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.easypark.stockholm.android&hl=sv

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot of the great advice and the useful links! I am also concerned about driving within the city, not with safety, but with traffic congestion. We plan to keep the driving portion of our trip simple, just Gothenburg to Stockholm and back. In order to avoid driving inside Stockholm, I was thinking about finding a quiet nearby town and take public transportation into the city. That way, we can keep the car safe and avoid the city traffic. Can anyone suggest such places near Stockholm with hotel to stay overnight and easy commute into the city? Our trip is the first week of September. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Raddison Blu has an underground parking lot. They are dealing with these brand new Volvo's all of the time, so I am sure they are taking special care. When I was there 2 weeks ago, they were shuttling my XC90 and 2 others in and out. While in Gothenburg you can walk to most destinations from the Hotel, so you might want to keep it in their garage. I did not go to Stockholm, but visited a few other towns, and mainly parked in parking lots as far as I could from any other cars. Now anxiously waiting for my car to arrive in early September.
How long does it take to ship it over?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you are looking for a hotel just outside Stockholm city this are the keywords
*Bromma
*Globen
*Sundbyberg
*Solna
*Liljeholmen
*Lidingö
*Ekerö
*Djurgården

This are the nice aeras here forming a circle arround the city. It will take you aprox 10-15 minuts from these places to down town stockholm, either buy bus or subway. And yes the public transportation in Stockholm have high standard.

About driving in the city. It can be very crowded cuz the streets can be very narrow here in comparison with modern citys. But that would only apply only to down town part of the city. A tip. Use google earth or map on your pc or smartphone and use the "walking" feature and there youll have an idea how it is driving here. Or just google driving in Stockholm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent! Thanks very much! I watched on YouTube several videos about city driving in Sweden and did not like it. I will be very careful and try to avoid driving into cities. I guess the most difficult part will be driving out of Gothenburg and later back in to return the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just tried to use the app, it asks for a +46 phone # to sign up. Do I have to get a working local phone # first in order to use it?
Maybe. But thats just for signing up. Like viber or Whatsapp asks your number to send you the registration code. But you can always buy a local sim for your phone while staying in Sweden. You can buy one for as low as 50 kr (6 us dollars). That will give you aprox 0,5 GB of surf.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It depends on your destination. For myself, I dropped the car back to the factory on August 7th. It was just put on a boat in Gothenburg today (Aug 19) and has an estimated arrival in the port in Newark, NJ of September 8th. My dealer is in New Jersey, so I would expect that it would be then shipped to the dealer within a week (Sep 15). It seems to all depend on the logistics of when the boats are leaving Sweden and what your final destination is. At the factory they tell you it will be 6 weeks, which seems about right.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Excellent! Thanks very much! I watched on YouTube several videos about city driving in Sweden and did not like it. I will be very careful and try to avoid driving into cities. I guess the most difficult part will be driving out of Gothenburg and later back in to return the car.
The great thing about Volvo's location (Factory Delivery Centre) is it is outside of Gothenburg. We picked our car up, headed north along the beautiful Swedish western coast and returned it to the FDC without ever encoutering city traffic. The most congestion we saw was along E6 (think US Interstates) which was nothing compared to the traffic I regularly see here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The great thing about Volvo's location (Factory Delivery Centre) is it is outside of Gothenburg. We picked our car up, headed north along the beautiful Swedish western coast and returned it to the FDC without ever encoutering city traffic. The most congestion we saw was along E6 (think US Interstates) which was nothing compared to the traffic I regularly see here.
Thanks for the useful info! That made me feel so much better! I am still in the middle of planning our routes. Hopefully will find one that has the least traffic and most scenery :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks for the useful info! That made me feel so much better! I am still in the middle of planning our routes. Hopefully will find one that has the least traffic and most scenery :)
I couldn't sleep at all the night before we took delivery. I was excited about seeing our new car for the first time and anxious about driving it on the Swedish roads. I realized my second concern was completely unfounded after 15 minutes. The Swedish drivers are incredibly courteous, the roads are fantastic, and the European maps loaded into the Nav were flawless. (Note: the maps as I understand can only be loaded on the XC90 at this time.)

Sit back and enjoy the ride!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.