SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Philadelphia area and have a 2006 S60R 6spd Man. I have owned a few Volvo's but always went to the dealership. My last car was a CPO so I had to go to them to maintain the warranty. Tbh I love my dealer (keystone volvo berwyn). But I never modified any of my past cars and I want to build this one properly (just bought it from Chicago and drove it the 700 miles to Philadelphia).

I'm wondering if anybody knows a capable shop within an hour of Philadelphia that can basically turn my s60r into a 400hp (at the wheels) sleeper. I know of a few places that build japanese cars, and a few independent volvo mechanics for stock volvo's. But I can't find anybody that knows how to really turn this car into a show car. I know of places 3 or 4 hours away but I'm trying to avoid that.

It currently has a stage 2 hilton tune which is ok, but I need a shop that I can trust to help me get it feeling like a solid new car again (will most likely restore the car, interior, paint, etc etc) that can then modify it afterwards. I drove a few s60r's and this car feels very loose, and the steering is all over the place. The exhaust is also rusted and needs to be replaced. So I ordered everything from IPD (bearings, tie rods, control arms, dust boots, brakes, rotors, tires, turbo back exhaust...and more I just don't have the list). It will also poss need a new rear axle (idk was told it was leaking by a volvo dealer in chicago but an indy guy said it was nothing). The clutch is new, the slave is new, angle gear is stock but seems to be fine (will get checked, car has 80k miles), the car is fantastic other than the steering and cat delete (I hate the smell so much).

I don't want to do a $10,000 build right away, because it's a bad idea to add power to a car that isn't safe feeling lol. But I want someone capable of doing that $10,000 build to do all the current stuff so they know the car when the time comes in the next year or 2 after all current kinks are worked out. I'm pretty sure the volvo dealer won't do the downpipe and exhaust installation. And I would need to re-tune the car with Hilton before it can be driven after it's installed which would be almost impossible at the dealer with their constraints. So if anybody knows a shop that can I can trust to modify my R I would really appreciate it. TIA

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ben McNally. Rolling motors Watertown ct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Having a dealer do that work is like burning money lol. I would get delrin subframe bushings, return the ipd control arms and get powerflex race bushings for the front control arms. These two together will give you much sharper steering than stock.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You could try J&J Motors in Bryn Mawr on Water Street. I heard Jay has a new Volvo Mechanic. He doesn’t care if you bring your own upgrades. He is a very good Porsche Mechanic.

My family had used Keystone for years but no more. First car I remember is a 1800ES. They sold me a used 940 and when I went to pick it up, some salesman hit the side of it. They tried to cover it up. I don’t use them anymore. They are overpriced and overhyped.

Do yourself a favor and call Swedeworks in Spring City when you need your car looked at. Steve has a 04VRGT. Their number is (610) 792-2147. Much better place for your SR. They also give loaners. They don’t let you bring your own upgrades. They only do OEM, but they know their Volvo’s and respect them.

Also you live on the east coast. Order your parts from FCPEuro. They will be here in one day from Connecticut with the Econ 2 day shipping for $9.99. They also have a lifetime warranty for you and as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
+1 for delrin bushings. It’s one of the best upgrades I’ve done to my VR

2007 V70R Ti Grey Nordkap GT, 2008 C30R-Design Black M66

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
+1. I’ve heard the Delrin is the way to go. I’m upgrading to that also on my rebuild.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yea rolling motors is one of the places I was considering. I saw their build on youtube for shifting lanes and its def pretty nice. Would be looking to get more power but I doubt it's difficult. The reason I was going to order IPD parts was because honestly it just came as kits. I dont know what's causing the steering problem, wouldn't be surprised if awd didnt't work on the car now. It is literally all over the place. If you're behind me there's no doubt you'd think I was driving drunk because it goes both left and right lol. I went onto the IPD website and was going to get ball joints. But then there were control arms, and then when I opened up the kits and saw what they had I said "screw it I"ll just buy everything for the front that isn't the steering rack". Probably not very economical but I want everything to work with the steering. Pretty sure i bought a money pit and the steering is probably the only thing that wouldn't be considered a waste of money compared to everything else I'll end up doing over time I think. Like a lot of people are going to consider a new leather interior a waste of money lol. Especially since my R has the Alcantera. A new sound system will probably cause issues with the electronics, which already have a bunch of issues. I have a feeling that in 5 years this is going to be a unicorn R. Everything show quality mint because it's what I thought I was buying since I bought it mostly based on pictures. But yea it's going to be expensive because I love this car lmao.

I'm willing to get whatever products (regardless of price) make my R feel solid like all my other volvos (2013 s60 t5, 2007 volvo v50 T5, 1999 V70R are the most notable, all have more miles than this R except the V50 which only has 25k miles). They all feel solid...this R is the flimsiest care I have ever sat in. My dad had one brand new in 2004 and it was a much MUCH more solid car then this 06. Even the center arm rest feels like it's going to pop off lol. I think I literally bought a Hilton tuned engine with a stage 0 for 10k (engine runs mint, only 80k miles). But the rest of the car...eh.

I haven't ordered parts yet so if IPD isn't the best way to go I will gladly research all the other suggestions. But they have everything the car needs include a turboback exhaust. And I was even thinking about getting the 4t4 turbo they offer. I really just want to make this the cleanest R on the planet.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What's your budget?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just hoping there would be an alternative lol. I have gotten multiple messages from people saying they had problems with Ben. One guy told me his build took 2 years. Idk about all that lol. Seems stupid long to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts