SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Where to buy Belt tensioner for cheap. (gdogg16)

Greg, thank you.
I've called and the guy told me that the tensioner is $125, and he said I need also two pulleys for $48 each, is that correct? Do I need to replace the pulleys too?
This is adding up fast...
I had to give them my serial number which is 1045190
Thank you guys, I appreciate it.

Modified by dicostal at 6:58 PM 3-21-2006

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car has 80K miles; I am getting the timing belt done, do I need to change the tensioner too? What about the pulleys?
I am having a mechanic friend, who works on the side do this. I've talked to the Volvo dealer, and they said, you shouldn't have too. They have said, that I can buy the parts, and return them if I do not use them. Can you tell that the tensioner is going bad?
Thanks you guys for the help on this matter.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Re: (dicostal)

Quote, originally posted by dicostal »
My car has 80K miles; I am getting the timing belt done, do I need to change the tensioner too? What about the pulleys?
I am having a mechanic friend, who works on the side do this. I've talked to the Volvo dealer, and they said, you shouldn't have too. They have said, that I can buy the parts, and return them if I do not use them. Can you tell that the tensioner is going bad?

If you're doing the work yourself, then when you pull the autotensioner, push on the piston. If you can move it, replace it, if not, you can wait till 120k belt change IMO. Timing belts on these cars aren't all that hard..

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: (dicostal)

Quote, originally posted by dicostal »

I'm not a DIY'er, so I can't speak with a lot of knowledge. What I do know for sure is that my tensioner broke this morning, releasing the timing belt and causing$3000+ in damage. Dealer's service director told me that when the '98's came out, Volvo didn't recommend changing the tensioner until the second belt change (140k). But by '02'03, they (the dealer) had seen enough to recommend that for the xtra $$ to go ahead and change the tensioner at the first belt change. $100-200 in parts to reduce risk of $4000: seems worth it to me now.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (pktojd)

Quote, originally posted by pktojd »

I'm not a DIY'er, so I can't speak with a lot of knowledge. What I do know for sure is that my tensioner broke this morning, releasing the timing belt and causing$3000+ in damage. .
Hmm, sorry to hear that.
You may want to contact someone like http://www.erievovo.com.
I had an S70 with a blown head and got an engine from them with only 25K miles for under $1000. To spend (too much BTW) $3000 to do a head you may as well replace the engine with a newer one for about the same money. How many miles on your car and engine?
Also, your repair shouldn't be more than $2000, even from a Volvo dealer

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: (JRL)

JRL,

You're the second one to recommend to engine swap and to say that the price was high. The dealer mentioned doing an engine swap, but then advised against because, with all costs, it can run almost as expensive and introduce a whole new batch of unknown gremlins. What do you think might be a fair price on the head job? Consider that I was accelerating/cruising at 70+ mph. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it sounds like I should change the tensioner. Between labor, and parts I am looking at $400, I guess that is not too bad...
I guess the pulley does not need to be replaced.
Yes my car is Timing belt tensioner (piston type), the most expensive kind

Thank you guys for your wisdom

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (pktojd)

Quote, originally posted by pktojd »
JRL,

What do you think might be a fair price on the head job.
FAIR would be $1500.
You should be able to get a GOOD job done for $2000 or a bit less.
Erie guarantees their engines BTW

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Jim or Greg
I have a 99 S70 adn the timing belt was changed at hte scheduled interval. For the99's, was it custom for them to change the tensioner as well? My car is running good, getting good mpg's. I am at 158K now so will have to do the timing belt soon anyway. Just wondering

Thanks guys
GC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.