SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Where should I mount my ETC transponder?

21K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  GeoJoe 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount my I-PASS transponder on the windshield. My salesperson said that it must be mounted all the way at the very bottom right so that it doesn't interfere with the camera/radar sensor. I'd prefer to place it at the top right, as I find this less distracting for the driver. The manual seems to indicate that any place is fine as long as it isn't in the area indicated by the red circle. Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount my I-PASS transponder on the windshield. My salesperson said that it must be mounted all the way at the very bottom right so that it doesn't interfere with the camera/radar sensor. I'd prefer to place it at the top right, as I find this less distracting for the driver. The manual seems to indicate that any place is fine as long as it isn't in the area indicated by the red circle. Does anyone have any personal experience with this?
Sorry for the poor photo, but I have my EZPass transponder just to the right of the camera/radar sensor. I've not seen a warning or an impact to the lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I have mine in aprox. the same spot as above, as high as it can go touching the lip of the headliner and directly to the right of the unit mounted behind the rear view mirror basically bumping up against it. I also went into EZ Pass and got the newer ez pass unit last year some time. It's about half the height of the old one, so while it still shows a bit, it doesn't show as much when mounted.

#18 ·
Same here. I put it in that location on both of my V60s simply to have it out of my field of vision as much as possible. I have not found it to cause any functionality issues, nor has it ever been missed by any of the ancient EZ Pass receptors on toll booths in this area. The new smaller EZ Pass transponder is a vast esthetic improvement over the clunky older model, but they are still a wart on the face of that gorgeous Volvo interior.

#6 ·
Correct. I usually mount on the lower left corner but I have also mounted it on the upper left corner and it works just fine.

#7 ·
The reason I mount mine on the upper right corner is because it is furthest away from the driver. Isn't it kind of annoying when it is mounted on the left? It seems like it would always be there in your peripheral vision.

#11 · (Edited)
Why are you mounting it, at all?

It's completely unnecessary in the SF Bay Area, as they simply read your license plate.

Maybe it's needed for toll lanes that you use?

Or maybe your bridges/toll booths are all using the old technology (not the license plate reader), so you are required to use the transmitter?

I don't even carry my transmitter, any more. I should probably remember to keep it in the car for trips we take outside of the Bay Area.

(I know that we've covered this, already, but I am not recalling what our conclusion was. Obviously, each state can be different from the next, and each COUNTY can be even be different within a state, so.....I seem to recall that some folks needed to carry the transponder if they use toll lanes that permit high-occupancy travel, but I don't recall if that is a California thing or an issue for folks in other states.)

#15 ·
my GOD, that is ugly!!

[just kidding]

I hope you are enjoying your new 90! I should look for your posts to see if you have offered an opinion comparing the XC90 to the Jeep.

#17 ·
Mine can be seen (somewhat lol) circled in red, never had any problems in this or any vehicle mounting in the same location. As has been mentioned, location for mounting (if one even wants to mount it) is such a personal preference though...

#21 ·
If you don't like how the transponder looks, why the HELL are you mounting it?

Is it really that much trouble to just pull it out of a storage compartment and hold it up once per day?

There is not a chance in hell that I'd mount one of those in my car, unless the law required it.

Who spends $70K on a car and then mounts an ugly thing in it?

#32 ·
I was updating my I-Pass account and a note there on their site reminded me of this thread, so might as well put this as an FYI.

"*The Indiana Toll Road Concession Company is also charging I-PASS customers $1.00 surcharge for improperly mounted transponders. The surcharge will be added to the standard toll charge on your account statement."

Be careful when you're driving through or in Indiana and you don't have your transponder mounted properly like me. :p

#33 ·
I also keep it in the storage compartment underneath the arm rest. I find the glove would be too far to reach. Since the Intellisafe is so big to being with...adding the EZ-pass would just be more ugly stuff in the window. For now, I just pull it out when I jump on toll roads (mostly GSP or NJ Turnpike). I was thinking about the license plate one...but I don't like the fact that it's not portable. For example, if you had the vehicle for repairs, etc...I would still take it out and use it in another car/rental.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.