SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into purchasing some aluminum alloy OE Volvo wheels for my '90 740. Seriously considering the Wheel Collision Center. Any other ideas?

-Poritz

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
AAA Rims http://www.aaarims.com

Also, check your phone book. Depending on where you are located, there are a bunch of these companies that can source wheels and do. There's a hubcap/wheel place on Rt 1 south of Baltimore near Elkridge (forget the name). But those guys are all over the country.

The cool part about WCC is that they'll probably source some damaged wheels and repair them, then send them to you. Should they need refinishing, you can stipulate a finish such as the graphite on the R models or bright silver, white, whatever...

Downside to buying OEM used wheels is that many of these guys think used Volvo alloys are big money. I stopped in that place in Elkridge, MD looking for some 940 wheels at the time for our 245 and I could have bought some 17-inch Tethys for the same money...

It's wierd, I'm used to the VW world, where I sold my Golf's 15-inch alloys with tires for $300 and a set of 16-inch Jetta GLX wheels for $400. For some reason, the Volvo wheels hold their value more.

BTW, Ebay is another good place to watch.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Perhaps too many of my friends drive Hondas (good cars) and J-bodies (bleeechh!!) but I think the aftermarket wheel world has much prettier designs than any OEM wheel for just about any car. Prices are competitive if not cheeper. Just get the specs right and happy rolling!!

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I'm really picky about aftermarket wheels. I like BBS, Speedline, OZ and few others.

Personally though, I prefer a subtle look that most casual passers by wouldn't notice that the car has been modded, and only the fan (in this case Volvophile) would recognize. JMHO

However, Spearzy raises a VERY good point. Companies like TSW and Tire Rack have put together some packages that are so competitive, someone looking for a more aggressive look surely wouldn't be disappointed.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone who posted was a wealth of knowledge. I feel I learned something.

I wanted some OEM wheels for two reasons. The first and more obvious, in all respects, is that I do not want to have a boy racer look. This is a '90 740 we're talking about, if it were a 1997 or later vehicle I would probably give it more thought. I know that some of them like the BBS can look very classy, however, those I got the feeling would exceed the car value to wheel ratio.

The other reason has to do with original mechanical design. Now correct me if I am wrong here. I get the feeling that the car was designed to have only a few different types of wheel on it. The only way that I know how to describe this is through an analogy. You would not use string on a weedwacker that is heavier than the reccomended diameter or lower because you could risk burning out the motor or at the very least put unnecessary stress on the internal workings. Just the same using a wheel that the car was not designed to have could cause similar stress on the parts. I also know that you have to get something adjusted in the transmission I believe if you want to upgrade to larger wheels.

I hope that I have not confused anyone too terribly. Do you still follow?

What do you think?

-Poritz

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the type of wheel I am looking for as it is identical to the plastic hub caps I had on the car. I liked them the best so I want to keep it like that.

-Poritz

P.S. The Hollander number is the 70164. The best price I have seen is at the WCC for 175 a pop. Contacting them now about a set of four.

[This message has been edited by Poritz (edited 09-08-2002).]

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the insight extreme. I just assumed that bigger wheels would mean larger tires. What with low profile tires that is not necessary. Nor is it possible to go much bigger in total diameter and width.

-Poritz

·
Registered
625 Posts
yeah, can't go too wide on 740s

you don't need wide tires, I don't think go around corners like a mad man.... right?

[This message has been edited by xtremepsionic (edited 09-09-2002).]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Re: (Poritz)

I went to 17 inch wheels on my 945 t and have had some issues on wheel balance so your analogy is right at least on my car, you might want to get a set of FACTORY 940 turbo rims or 740 turbo rims the 940 wheels are 16 inch the 740 turbo rims are 15 inch 16 is the highest I would go one your car .AND DO NOT BUY TSW http://********************/smile/emcrook.gif http://********************/smile/emcrook.gif http://********************/smile/emhammer.gif Quality not good!!http://www.swedespeed.com/resources/gallery/auto_shows/carlisle_import_02/volvo_rwd/pages/04.html

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Turbo16psi)

Well I got the following response from WCC in PA

John, we do currently have a set of the H70164 wheels in stock which we would sell refinished in MINT condition for $650 for the set of 4 including 4 average condition original Volvo center caps.

Feel free to contact me directly (by email or at our 800 number below) with
any other questions, or with your billing and shipping information if you
would like to order it ... and we do accept MC, Visa or Discover over the
phone if paying with a credit card would be convenient. We would be happy
to be of service.

Daryl L. Robbins
[email protected] or 800-292-RIMS(7467)
Visit our Website: http://www.wheelcollision.com

WHEEL COLLISION CENTER
7286 PENN DRIVE
BATH, PA 18014

Is that good?

-Poritz

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: (Poritz)

It's not bad. If you monitor ebay for a couple months, you might find a used set, or the regular Volvo classifieds (ipd, swedespeed, etc.) however, they'll be used. The ones from WCC will be in practically brand new condistion as they're generally refinished.

Used sets from wheel distributors tend to run around $600 anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts