SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:facepalm: Fix one thing on my caR and another shows up.. How bad is this and what do I have to do to fix it?

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
:facepalm: Fix one thing on my caR and another shows up.. How bad is this and what do I have to do to fix it?
top cam cover...it is not bad and you dont have to fix it...at least I would not...just clean it off and you will not see it for another 50K.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Yeah, that's nothing really to be worried about IMHO.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.. I was a little concerned.. Guess I never really paid much attention back there... So when I saw it yesterday I thought that it was going to be bad..

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Take your covers off and check to see if it's coming from the VVT Solenoids. The gaskets on them can leak and fill the gulley with oil, also, have you ever spilled any oil while filling? That's were it goes eventually :)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Take your covers off and check to see if it's coming from the VVT Solenoids. The gaskets on them can leak and fill the gulley with oil, also, have you ever spilled any oil while filling? That's were it goes eventually :)
True that.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have spilled very little oil over the years from having a terrible aim. But wouldn't I see an oil trail that leads to that spot? Is the leaky gasket an issue? can I drive it for a couple hundred miles?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
With that small of an amount, you should be fine driving it. As Dougy said, you may even be able to go another 50k before it looks that bad again. The key is to clean it and then keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't come back.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
My guess is that your oil cap gasket is leaking, Volvo recommends that the oil cap gasket gets replaced every 2nd oil change. At .50 cents each, it's a drop in a bucket.

Take off the Valve cover and check underneath if there is a pool of oil. This can cause issues with your coils long term. I would grab a towel and clean it out with degreaser (careful around the coils).

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
^ what they said. You should be fine to drive it (forever potentially). I would take of the covers and sop/wick up the oil with some Bounty/fluffy paper towels. If it is the VVT gaskets are leaking you could replace them as it's very easy to do so. Also a good time to clean the solenoids with brakleen etc.
Generally, the oil cap gasket will make the cap and fill neck noticeably cruddy/sludgy to the touch before it becomes a source of enough oil to flow into the gully.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good info.. thanks again. Oh and I didn't even realize the oil cap has a gasket!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts