SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 V70 2.5t with 78k miles that I got in the middle of last year. On the first oil change I noticed it was burning some oil so I was keeping an eye on it and adding. Then I switched to Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 and since then every time I checked it was at the middle of the dipstick. But then yesterday I checked and it was just below the bottom of the dipstick with 2800 miles on the oil. So I added 1/2 quart. Today I checked again after the car had sat for 3.5 hours at work, and it was even further below the bottom of the dipstick. I added the rest of the bottle and it made no difference on the dipstick. What's going on??

Do I really need to add another quart just to get it between the low/high marks on the dipstick? If the car is really that low why did no warning light come on?

·
Registered
770 Posts
You probably have a warning light for pressure, not level. That light would be bad news. When you say "below the bottom of the dipstick" do you mean below the low mark or completely below the dipstick? It's usually a quart or more between marks so you can use that as a point of reference. I bet the exact quantity is in the manual.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday it was 1mm below, today it's 2mm below AFTER adding the quart. The manual says the marks represent 1.6qt

·
Registered
770 Posts
Weird. I'd add a quart, wait a half hour or so, then go check again. If you trust your measurements between yesterday and today I'm thinking you have an external leak. Burning that much oil all of a sudden would be really unusual.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked again and it's now 2mm above the bottom, so I guess it just took some time for the oil to get to the pan

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Well here's the only sureshot way I have figured out of check oil levels even when adding:
Park the car on level ground.
Heat the car up to normal running temp (180-190*F Coolant temp)
Check the oil level
Shut the car off for 20 minutes
Check the oil level
Add new oil if needed (a hot car will heat the added oil and flow it down to pan easier and faster)
Start the car and check the oil level at operating temp
Shut it off and wait 20 minutes and check the oil level again.

That way, you know with thermal expansion of the fluid, you're at the FULL mark when it's hot but might be in the middle of the safe zone when it's cold.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here's the only sureshot way I have figured out of check oil levels even when adding:
Park the car on level ground.
Heat the car up to normal running temp (180-190*F Coolant temp)
Check the oil level
Shut the car off for 20 minutes
Check the oil level
Add new oil if needed (a hot car will heat the added oil and flow it down to pan easier and faster)
Start the car and check the oil level at operating temp
Shut it off and wait 20 minutes and check the oil level again.

That way, you know with thermal expansion of the fluid, you're at the FULL mark when it's hot but might be in the middle of the safe zone when it's cold.
I guess you could just check/add when cold, and just accept that the added oil won't show up until the next morning

1 - 8 of 8 Posts