SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching the market for a V70 T5, and it seems to be VERY rare for anything newer than a 2001. If I search cars.com at any distance, I can come up with dozens and dozens of 2001 T5's, but 2 2005's and 1 2004. Searchallcraigs.com and autotrader give similar results.

Did the sales numbers drop after 2001? Are they out there, but nobody want to part with them? It's easier to find an 04-06 R than a T5..... Why is that?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Where are all the >2001 V70 T5s? (VolvoMax)

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »

T5 virtually disappeared after the R came out. It was simply outgunned and too close in price.

I suppose it dissapeared after the R returned. If my notes are right, the P1 V70R was from 98-2000. Then no R trim in 2001-03, but it returned in 04.

If that's right, I guess it makes sense. I didn't know what the pricing and availability difference between a T5 and an R, but if they were close enough to get people to upgrade....

JRL basically scared me off of a R ( http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=117136 ), but finding a T5 that's newer than 2002 is turning out to be tricky.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Where are all the >2001 V70 T5s? (JRL)

I wasn't scared off of T5's, but the R's. It was this quote in particular, JRL:

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Since I've owned both 04Rs and an 06R I think I can say that I would own a T5 any day of the week over an R if I didn't live right next door (Literally one mile) to Keystone Volvo.
Little to no issues, about as fast with infinite more reliability and I can say that from experience

Now an interesting note is that 2 of us quoted that same text in that thread, but the original isn't there anymore. I don't have an explanation for that.... if you didn't say that, please set me straight.

Anyway, that's what really made me wonder if an R is right for me. I have an 855T w/165K, and I love it, but it's biggest problem is that it keeps coming up with new repairs. So while I want the fun to drive volvo wagon, I need to prioritize reliability. When JRL says that without living next to the dealership he'd choose a T5 over an R, that means something to me.

The last post of that thread (not from JRL) regarding angle gears, suspension issues and headlamp leaks being a lot more expensive to repair took the wind out of my R sales. I'm not interested in unnecessary parts to fix, just a reliable wagon that's still fun to drive.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Where are all the >2001 V70 T5s? (VTT5)

Quote, originally posted by VTT5 »
It's probably more of a caveat emptor (buyer beware) than anything. The R has more complex parts (4C, AWD, etc.) and thus will be more maintenance-intensive. The T5 lacks these amenities (well, maybe some 2005+ T5s had the poor man's 4C, but...) and thus will bring fewer maintenance headaches.

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm interested in the T5 over the R. 247HP will do just fine, and since this is most often going to be driven with 2 kids in the back, adjustable suspension isn't really worth anything to me. With good snow tires, my FWD 855 has taken me everywhere I needed to go in the worst of Wisconsin winter.

I'd rather not go back to 2001 or 2002, not for any particular reason except age. I drive a car as long as it's reasonable, so I'd prefer to start newer. It's just frustratingly near impossible to find a T5 newer than that...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Sales (and production) of V70 T5M's dropped drastically after 2001.
I've sold about five (5) 01's but have only seen one 02 and NO 03's or 04's.
Yannis brought in a couple 0f 05 6 speeds and they were the only ones I ever saw
of those

I'm not specifically seeking a T5M... just a T5 newer than 2002. My wife and I would both drive it, and she'd rather not have a manual. A GT would be a perfectly happy medium.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yep... had I realized how rare they were a few weeks back when I found one 200 miles away, I might have tried a bit harder to be the buyer. It even had a 3rd row seat.

Seems I have to decide on getting an 01/02 T5 or an 04/05 R.... or have some unexpected luck. I have until the snow files to get my next car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I've been, and still am, watching your sales, JRL. I'm hoping to stay under 17K, and black and red are my last 2 color choices.

I'm sure there will be more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.