SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been too long since XC90.

We were supposed to see a horde of new models but so far it's dull.

Where are all these models??

S90, new S60, S40 and maybe an S Class competitor??

Come on Volvo!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I share your sentiment, it's been a year since the XC90. I believe we were promised a new model every 6 months. So far all I've seen is a variation of existing models. I'm curious to see the new S90.

I've had my S80 for almost 3 years and am hoping to replace it. Sadly the replacement will not be a current gen S80, so I'm really set on a A7. The longer Volvo takes to show the S90 the more in love I become with the A7 and the more convinced I am that my next purchase will not be a Volvo.

Come on Volvo, this pace is very lethargic.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Last year XC90 interior and thor headlight were teased before the World Premiere event. This year they haven't teased anything of S90. Is the R&D team too busy fixing bugs of XC90? But the exterior and interior design team should have got enough resource to finish S90 body. Hope they start some teasing soon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would at least like to see what the campaign for the new XC90 is. So far, that video about Tim and feeling good wasn't too much about the XC90.

·
Registered
448 Posts
What I'm expecting to see:

S90 - October or November 2015 (after the IAA to get more publicity)

V90 - March 2016 (Geneva)
XC60 - Autumn 2016

V90 CC - January 2017 (Detroit)
S60 - March 2017 (Geneva)
V60 - Autumn 2017

V60 CC - January 2018 (Detroit)
V40 - March 2018 (Geneva)
S40 - April 2018 (Shanghai / Beijing)

XC90 Facelift - January 2019 (Detroit)
XC40 - 2019

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I share your sentiment, it's been a year since the XC90. I believe we were promised a new model every 6 months. So far all I've seen is a variation of existing models. I'm curious to see the new S90.
Nothing has changed...XC90 started to sell last Spring, this Fall (6-7 months later) you will see the T8, then next Spring you will get the S90, etc etc).

I've had my S80 for almost 3 years and am hoping to replace it. Sadly the replacement will not be a current gen S80, so I'm really set on a A7. The longer Volvo takes to show the S90 the more in love I become with the A7 and the more convinced I am that my next purchase will not be a Volvo.
The A7 is my favorite car, after a Volvo. However, it is getting to be old news...be patient for a few more months and you will be super happy.

It is not. What Volvo has accomplished since late 2010 (and what lies ahead) is nothing short of astonishing, especially for a small auto manufacturer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nothing has changed...XC90 started to sell last Spring, this Fall (6-7 months later) you will see the T8, then next Spring you will get the S90, etc etc).
Again, a variation of an existing model. Plus I fail to see how the T8 in Fall can be seen as something new. I believe orders have already been placed.

The A7 is my favorite car, after a Volvo. However, it is getting to be old news...be patient for a few more months and you will be super happy.
If the A7 is old news, then everything in Volvo's stable - with the exception of the XC90 - can probably be regarded as ancient history. That being said, we're a year since the reveal of the XC90 at what point will that become old news?

S80 owners have been very very patient, at some point Volvo needs to do something for us. It's hardly fair to say be patient when it's a year since the XC90 and we haven't even gotten as much as a teaser from Volvo. Can't say it was the same with the XC90 where there was various teasers. Unless the S90 interior is a exact copy of the XC90 then even a teaser along those lines might go some ways in making us S80 owners feel like Volvo still plans to be a player in this space. As the saying goes, what have you done for me lately.

It is not. What Volvo has accomplished since late 2010 (and what lies ahead) is nothing short of astonishing, especially for a small auto manufacturer.
Volvo wants to compete with the big boys, so to say it's pretty good might be fine one or two times but after that no one cares. The premium segment is competitive and if Volvo wants to be considered among the premium echelon, arguments about "for a small company" is the last thing folks want to hear.

The last thing a person looking to spend their cash should be told is wait, especially if you're in the business of selling cars. In which case Volvo, hurry-up as waiting around is not something I imagine many of us like to do. Especially when there's a ton happening with other manufacturers.

I hold a special place for Volvo, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit around waiting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just wanted to add, I check this forum several times a day to see if there's been anything on the S90. I surf the web each day hoping find something new on the S90. With the exception of a few spy shots back in June/July, there's been nothing. As summer comes to a close and with Volvo not taking part in Frankfurt, I'm starting to think we wont see anything until Detroit 2016. In which case I will have probably already made up my mind on a A7.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Audi overall and A7 are dull too.

Maybe you should look for other cars.

I also have doubts about S90's performance with 4 banger engine.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Just wanted to add, I check this forum several times a day to see if there's been anything on the S90. I surf the web each day hoping find something new on the S90. With the exception of a few spy shots back in June/July, there's been nothing. As summer comes to a close and with Volvo not taking part in Frankfurt, I'm starting to think we wont see anything until Detroit 2016. In which case I will have probably already made up my mind on a A7.
Buy the A7. Its been around a few years so there is proven quality there. They are a little pricey but I bet you can deal on one. You also get a supercharged 6 CYLINDER engine. That engine is a really buttery smooth, has a nice grunt and is very balanced.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Amen re the A7! I'll be particularly intrigued to see the S90L. A fastback limo could look very well, like Jaguar's XJL, though not quite as long.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Audi overall and A7 are dull too.

Maybe you should look for other cars.

I also have doubts about S90's performance with 4 banger engine.
I agree Audi overall is dull, but the A7 at least offers something different in the sense of the shape. And even if you don't know what it is from the front, you'll know what it is from the rear or side.

Then there's the V6 that offers similar power with better fuel economy and performance than my S80 V8. I had interest in the XF, but as I never really liked the gear selector and the aged infotainment I've all but written it off. Plus the XF has a equally thirsty V8 that doesn't offer performance better than the A7.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I spoke to a person working at Volvo R&D today and he said that the S90 will be presented very, very soon. No delivery until next year.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just remember. Volvo has closed facilities for testing and also very remote testing tracks. If you see the car, it is intentionnal. And last year when we started to see a few spy shots of the XC90, the reveal was extremely close after. It was the same with the spy shots of the V40 2-3 years ago...

Marketing wise, to avoid confusion and maximise impact for each models, they would want to let the XC90 get on the streets before switching the spotlight. And the XC90 JUST started to get rolling... only 3 months out there... They haven't even started delivery of the T8 XC90. So expect a new round of reviews in oct/nov when those hit the market. In that matter, Volvo may even wait until the T8 is out and reviewed before starting the fanfare for the S90/V90...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I spoke to a person working at Volvo R&D today and he said that the S90 will be presented very, very soon. No delivery until next year.
At pace of Volvo, I hope soon means 3 to 6 month, very soon means 1 to 3 month and very, very soon means within 1 month. Still good. Though personally I'd be happy to see it this or next week. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Buy the A7. Its been around a few years so there is proven quality there. They are a little pricey but I bet you can deal on one. You also get a supercharged 6 CYLINDER engine. That engine is a really buttery smooth, has a nice grunt and is very balanced.
The fact that the 6 cylinder is used in several other applications by Audi and can have output boosted with some upgrades are a big selling point for me. Plus I'm not completely sold on Volvo's 4 cylinder only strategy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Marketing wise, to avoid confusion and maximise impact for each models, they would want to let the XC90 get on the streets before switching the spotlight. And the XC90 JUST started to get rolling... only 3 months out there... They haven't even started delivery of the T8 XC90. So expect a new round of reviews in oct/nov when those hit the market. In that matter, Volvo may even wait until the T8 is out and reviewed before starting the fanfare for the S90/V90...
I don't know about in Montreal, but here in the GTA I've seen nothing in terms of marketing for the XC90. The closest I came to seeing any marketing around the XC90 was at a local pub, where the TV setup to run ads from local business showed at XC90 R-Design being promoted by a local dealer.

I've seen a few adverts on Channel 4 and that's British television, so not really applicable to Canada.

Maybe others have seen Volvo's marketing efforts - in North America - with respect to the XC90 but I surely haven't. But maybe Volvo doesn't need marketing, I believe it's 57,000 or 67,000 XC90 have been ordered to date. I don't know how that factors into the goal of reaching 800,000 by 2020 with sales of most other lines flatlining or barely growing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maybe you can nudge him to maybe get someone with enough pull to give us some news, teaser...anything to hold us over until such time that it's presented.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts