SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some guidance (rule of thumb) as to when to replace an inner tie rod? I have visually inspected the outer tie rods and I know they need to be replaced as the boots are split and the joint is loose. Since the inner tie rods are covered with a dust boot, aside from disassembly, are there any sure tail signs when these need to be replaced? Car currently has 320,000 miles, original steering rack was replaced around 225,000.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Depends what inner rods are in there. Which depends on which rebuilt rack you have or if it was replaced with a new oem one. If you take the outer rod and boot off and you lift up the inner rod and it doesn’t stay up on its own or if it feels like it has play in it I’d replace it and the boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Simple: you replace them when they have play. That can be hard to determine when you have play in the outers. If you're doing it yourself, replace the outers and then check for play again. If you're paying to have it done and don't want to take a chance, do them all at once.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Simple: you replace them when they have play. That can be hard to determine when you have play in the outers.
If you disconnect the outers it's pretty easy to tell if the inners have play. So yeah knock the tie rod ends out of the knuckle and then wiggle it around and push it in and out. If it's sloppy or has play, replace.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you disconnect the outers it's pretty easy to tell if the inners have play. So yeah knock the tie rod ends out of the knuckle and then wiggle it around and push it in and out. If it's sloppy or has play, replace.
Perfect. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts