SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouring the web looking for a hint here, but I'm coming up empty. Several Volvo dealers later and we're still left hanging. Hoping someone here will have an idea. Many thanks in advance for putting up with the lengthy post, trying to provide as much info as possible so no one has to make any guesses.

Background:

Our 2003 2.5T AWD XC90 has what looks like an original, Volvo trailer hitch and a round, 7-round-pins connector. I believe it's still running brake lights through a wire separate from the turn signal lights. We bought a new, American-made cargo trailer with a round, 7-flat-pins connector. It's like one would expect, brake lights piggy-backed off the left and right turn signal wires.

The dealer connected a few adapter cables together and lights seem to work properly, but when we turn the car off, miraculously the running lights on the car (and the trailer) remain on! The only way to turn them off is by unplugging the connector!

Volvo dealers have said they have to update programming somewhere, but no one has been able to fix this yet. In fact, some claimed to know nothing once we got to the dealership, even though we'd spoken with a service tech who claimed to know what was needed. That the turn signal lights and brake lights seem to work correctly at all is weird, and I still don't know what the connectors are doing to combine the signals in the first place. It's driving us crazy,

3 (related) questions:

• Any idea why the running lights would be staying on after we turn the car off, and what's needed to fix it?
  • Is it possible that the myriad of converter cables is confusing the car?
  • I'm thinking about replacing the EU connector with a round, 7-flat-pin,connector. I think I need something to combine the separate brake and turn light signals. Do I? Would this (https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58240) work?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've been scouring the web looking for a hint here, but I'm coming up empty. Several Volvo dealers later and we're still left hanging. Hoping someone here will have an idea. Many thanks in advance for putting up with the lengthy post, trying to provide as much info as possible so no one has to make any guesses.

Background:

Our 2003 2.5T AWD XC90 has what looks like an original, Volvo trailer hitch and a round, 7-round-pins connector. I believe it's still running brake lights through a wire separate from the turn signal lights. We bought a new, American-made cargo trailer with a round, 7-flat-pins connector. It's like one would expect, brake lights piggy-backed off the left and right turn signal wires.

The dealer connected a few adapter cables together and lights seem to work properly, but when we turn the car off, miraculously the running lights on the car (and the trailer) remain on! The only way to turn them off is by unplugging the connector!

Volvo dealers have said they have to update programming somewhere, but no one has been able to fix this yet. In fact, some claimed to know nothing once we got to the dealership, even though we'd spoken with a service tech who claimed to know what was needed. That the turn signal lights and brake lights seem to work correctly at all is weird, and I still don't know what the connectors are doing to combine the signals in the first place. It's driving us crazy,

3 (related) questions:

• Any idea why the running lights would be staying on after we turn the car off, and what's needed to fix it?
  • I'm thinking about replacing the EU connector with a round, 7-flat-pin,connector. I think I need something to combine the separate brake and turn light signals. Do I? Would this (https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58240) work?

The only software for trailer is to Enable/Disable Fog light.

I installed the VOLVO OEM trailer module and OEM harness - I installed this:

I had LED trailer - which your's may - The LED's will stay like you describe.. (It did on mine)

I installed a "7-Way to 7-Way LED Trailer Light Adapter for Audi, Porsche and Volkswagen". - https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C57003.html

This solved my XC90 not seeing the trailer (so light blinks on dash) and solved the LED trailer lights staying on when turning the car off.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

Background:

3 (related) questions:

Have you waited to see if the lights turn off after a few minutes? We have the Volvo kit with module and same connector (standard 7 pin + 4 flat vs. the EU 13 pin) and if we leave the trailer connected it will power the lights as needed. If the XC90 is locked it will eventually cut power. I've never checked what the timing is but its a few minutes. It also depends on the trailer. We had a car hauler with electric brakes that we used the Tekonsha RF brake controller using the 7pin connector on the RF controller which then powered the trailer via the 4 pin. It would eventually time out after turning it off. Using a small cargo trailer that used the 4 pin flat connector it would stay on and eventually time out after the XC90 was locked. On a [email protected] with 7 pin it would instantly turn off the trailer lights but leave power available to run inside lights and other 12 volt accessories.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, maybe it has more to do with the wiring of the trailer and how it uses auxiliary power via the hitch cable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello tomtoth and VolvoUhu!

Thanks for the help!

Tomtoth - I was able to locate the product in the image you attached. I was very close to considering re-wiring, until I found that the harness you pictured does not work in my 2003 XC90, I think 2005 and newer :( Apparently, the older XC90s were a little less sophisticated and not ready for the plugs on that harness. Bummer. I asked the vendor if they had a similar product for my car ... waiting for a reply. Would love for it to be that straight forward.

VolvoUhu - we have tried letting the Volvo sit. I'd guess 10 minutes or longer, long enough to fill with fuel and go inside a station to pay and come back out. Lights remain on.

All - we had Volvo dealer check the plug on the Volvo when powered off and disconnected from everything. No power detected anywhere. The only thing I'm wondering now is if it's possible that the battery in the trailer is causing a problem! Not like I can turn it off, but then again I have no idea how the trailer is wired. I was thinking about hooking everything up and disconnecting the trailer battery to see what happens. Never know. At this point, I feel a little bit like Windows IIS administrator trying to troubleshoot a NetScaler (way out of my wheelhouse).

Thanks again for the replies, I'll keep digging and keep posting anything I learn. I have a couple email requests to a couple different vendors in hopes of finding something, somewhere.

Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumping with a related question. I found mention of a wiring harness (SwedeSpeed) that supposedly works for 2003 and 2004 XC90s. Plug and play. The Volvo part number is 8698078.

So far I get the impression it's the 7-way with flat pins and a 4-pin flat combo. I cannot find definitive info that confirms it's the US version (brake lights combined with turn signals) or the EU version (brake lights separate from turn signals).

Anyone have any experience with that harness and/or know where I might actually find one? For the life of me, I'm having a hard time locating one or finding anyone who knows anything about it! I'm about googled out, and still waiting on replies from several shops around the country.

Once again, thanks a bunch for the help, Everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts