SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence if I should switch before traveling for Thanksgiving or later... Temps in my area are forecasted to be highs in the low 50s and lows in the high 20s at night. I'm driving to NW Ohio and the temps there are highs mid 50s and lows mid 30s at night. The Michelin x-ice 3s are great in the snow, but they're mushy in the 40s...

Should I wait or engage winter mode early? When do ya'll usually switch to winter mode?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i go through the same thing... Its in the 60's during the day here and high 20's at night now. So its hard to say, but i waited until the first snowfall last week and put them on. Its snowing again today and will likely be very warm during the day tomorrow. I say just wait until snow is in the forecast. Summer tires will work at 40 degrees still, and even in slushy mess on the roads, but any accumulated snow on the roads and they will be useless.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I switched last weekend. I remember one T-giving we had to drive the T5-R in a snow storm. After that, I started swapping around Nov. 1st...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
same as Ou2. first snow....swap on the winter wheels.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Better safe than sorry. Getting towed out of a ditch costs more (time and money) than the wear on your winter tires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Done a week ago on a sunny day. Better than working in the snow with frozen hands. The shops are always packed after the first snow.
Our first snow was this weekend and its still on the ground. :snowcool:

·
Registered
538 Posts
^^^^ as above - snowies installed on a sunny day with a longer term forecast for cold air and possible light flurries. While I could likely get by with all seasons in the Vancouver area (rarely snows and if so, rarely lasts), we do some winter travelling through high mountain passes and up and back to Whistler where snowies are mandatory, so better safe than sorry and WAY better to do in the dry and warm. I take the same tact with hanging my Christmas lights - I would rather do the install when its drier and warmer, than in the cold rain with numb fingers......

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
About end of November or Early December depending on how the forecasts are. Usually i try to put them on the car on the last good warm day.

Once the temperatures start hitting freezing point I think its smart to put the tires on.

THe All Seasons at that point become so hard that if you encounter wet freezing roads you can be in trouble.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Usually around mid October up here. You just never know. This year has been awesome and warmer than usual. My last round of golf was two weeks ago. Tried setting up a tee time last weekend, but the club closed for the season (without telling us...imagine that).

Rule (from what I've heard) is that all seasons start loosing their grip around +7C (44F). I've switched all three cars now to winter mode. Just waiting for the onslaught of the white crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts