SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my Ignition lock cylinder today, didn't know this was a common issue. Called Tasca an they told me this is the norm :confused:

When did your lock cylinder fail?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Mine half died 6 months ago. Suddenly got much harder to turn past position one, but not impossible. With enough force (a LOT) I was able to start up the car. I used some graphite powder and it made it more usable but it's still abnormally hard to turn.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you're planning on replacing it yourself, then some tips here: get a sharp and short chisel and a hammer. Two bolts used to attach the ignition lock to the steering column are broken off when properly tightened. So there you cant use any sockets or screwdrivers. You need to hit it until it starts spinning and then some needle nosed pliers will do the rest.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Happened to me a few years ago. the head tech at my Volvo dealer told me to squirt some WD40 in the key hole and work the key back and forth. It definitely made it easier (I would say 85 - 90% better ) although has not loosened up completely. As I said, this was a few years ago and it hasn't worsened since that time at all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is an old thread on this that is a simple fix with the smack of a hammer - takes five minutes , fixed 2 my self now with no more issues in over 8 months .
Never put wd- 40 in the lock !!! Dry lube only!
In the repair index look under "key won't go past position 1 " read entire thread!

·
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is an old thread on this that is a simple fix with the smack of a hammer - takes five minutes , fixed 2 my self now with no more issues in over 8 months .
In the repair index look under "key won't go past position 1 " read entire thread!
Ah, well I ordered a new lock. I'm having Mike @ MBAutomotive throw it in once it's here. I sprayed WD in the lock, just a little but it seemed to work. I might try the permanent transponder trick while it's apart! Can anyone say 12$ valet keys!!!!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well it's been over 4 years and no issues so far, so just maybe wd40 isn't that bad :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ah, well I ordered a new lock. I'm having Mike @ MBAutomotive throw it in once it's here. I sprayed WD in the lock, just a little but it seemed to work. I might try the permanent transponder trick while it's apart! Can anyone say 12$ valet keys!!!!
265.00$ plus removal/ install of new --- maybe 400$ at cheapest ( these are not a simple pop out and in) verses 15-30 mins free fix hmmmmmmmm! I will take the free fix please !
Nothing wrong with wd-40 just collects dirt and leaves greasy film ( don't want that on my car)
And no assurance that the new one will not fail again in time

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
The cylinder in my '06 broke on 10/27/2011 at 72,100 miles. Had it replaced.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Mine locked. I drenched my key and the hole with WD40 and stuck the key in back and forth to lube it up. Then it went loose. It happened at 127k miles.

·
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
265.00$ plus removal/ install of new --- maybe 400$ at cheapest ( these are not a simple pop out and in) verses 15-30 mins free fix hmmmmmmmm! I will take the free fix please !
Nothing wrong with wd-40 just collects dirt and leaves greasy film ( don't want that on my car)
And no assurance that the new one will not fail again in time
I paid 235 + labor which isn't that much. If I got 95k out of the old one, I'll get atleast 80k out of the next + the car will be sold by then being I drive about 10k a year if that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had this problem and then dug up an old thread about using spray-in graphite to get it to "unlock" itself. $2.65 at Wal-Mart, a few squirts, and a crank of faith later, I was good to go. I now spray the graphite in routinely into the ignition and the outside tumbler. Works magic so far. I don't know how to tell, however, when you've crossed the threshold between jammed and busted.

One Link: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?157328-Key-Won-t-Turn-Past-Position-1

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I hope some of you realize that if you have a lot of steering wheel tension against the wheel lock it can cause symptoms like this. Had a friend who thought their lock was broken, just had to turn the wheel a little to take the load off the wheel lock for the key to turn as easy as new.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I hope some of you realize that if you have a lot of steering wheel tension against the wheel lock it can cause symptoms like this. Had a friend who thought their lock was broken, just had to turn the wheel a little to take the load off the wheel lock for the key to turn as easy as new.
This. If my steering wheel is locked I can NOT unlock with just the key. I have to turn the wheel some at the same time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We've fixed my old S60 at 190k miles as it was suffering from the famous ignition barrel issue.
We got the instructions from this uk forum topic. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=171220
Also you can get an idea based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzUduzjR9W4 at 3:25.
There is a metal lock plate at the bottom of the barrel unit. This is easily visible and accessible from under the steering column. The plate is held in place by 3 centre-pop peens and the idea is to loosen it a bit.
No need to remove anything besides the plastic steering column cover.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The lock cylinder on my 2007 V70R failed a few weeks ago at 83k miles. I had just returned home from a camping trip on which I had driven another vehicle and I think the R was mad I had left it at home.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Mine wouldnt turn at all, happened in the middle of the winter. I used some WD-40 to loosen the insides up by spraying a bit into the key hole and on the key till it eventually turned.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Never had an issue, I have a 2005 145k and a 2006 189k. If it gets stuck sometimes you can take off the steering column covers take a small hammer and tap on the bottom of the steering lock assembly while you giggle the key.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts