SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I ordered two weeks ago, and nothing yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, how soon after placing an order did your dealer give you the estimated time of arrival?
I believe once you place an order with a dealer. The dealer has to get this order into Volvo's ordering system through a regional contact at VCNA. Then the regional contact places the actual order. I received a PDF which detailed my order, options, along with ETA. The heading on this document stated something like "Volvo Cars Business Application Portal". You should ask for this from your dealer.
For me this took about a week from when I placed the order with dealer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi all, how soon after placing an order did your dealer give you the estimated time of arrival?
About a month. It is complicated...so take that if you want the short answer. If you want the longer answer...

I got the ETA from the dealer on the day they got it from Volvo corporate. WHY it took so long, however, and the lack of communication until I got a little tough with the dealer is another story.

When we ordered our T6 Inscription in early October, we were told a number of things - all of which were true - but the lack of communication made us wonder for while. The dealership was on allocation for XC90s (born out since) and by model (born out since). The salespeople only knew, at that time, that the allocations through mid-December were taken. They hedged (smart) and told us that our likely delivery was most-likely sometime in January but that there was an outside chance that they had an "unclaimed" allocation that could be modified to our specs and arrive at the end of December. This turns out to be excellent communication and expectation setting.

BUUUUT - then I heard - NOTHING. In the second week of November - a full month after placing the order and putting down a $2000 deposit, I started pinging the dealership for an ETA and they clearly had no clue. The first answers to my rather patient queries were "well, I just picked up a report that was handy on someone's desk and it goes through December and I don't see your car there." I got a couple of answers like this and then I contacted the owner's son, who is the sales manager. I basically said that "I ordered a $65000 car and this is not a $65000 car experience." He got things straight and all has been well since. In the end, I got the whole story. They are a small dealership, their allocation is small and based on trim level, and they indeed did not have an Inscription allocation available for December delivery. Further, the were not even in a position to place the order for the next allocation with Volvo corporate until early November. They could have told me all of that within a week of our order but did not - probably just because they did not think of it (because they are no a big, luxury car dealership). So, finally, a couple of weeks ago, the sales folks at the dealership filled us in fully, gave us a SCREEN SHOT of the ETA and order codes from Volvo corporate (perfect in every way), and are updating us weekly (plenty frequently at this point). Our current dealer ETA is the last week of January - within the original timeframe.

Anyway - if you are in the USA - ask the dealership about their allocations and when THEY placed your order with Volvo (vs. when you placed your order with them). You will probably learn something, anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About a month. It is complicated...so take that if you want the short answer. If you want the longer answer...

I got the ETA from the dealer on the day they got it from Volvo corporate. WHY it took so long, however, and the lack of communication until I got a little tough with the dealer is another story.

When we ordered our T6 Inscription in early October, we were told a number of things - all of which were true - but the lack of communication made us wonder for while. The dealership was on allocation for XC90s (born out since) and by model (born out since). The salespeople only knew, at that time, that the allocations through mid-December were taken. They hedged (smart) and told us that our likely delivery was most-likely sometime in January but that there was an outside chance that they had an "unclaimed" allocation that could be modified to our specs and arrive at the end of December. This turns out to be excellent communication and expectation setting.

BUUUUT - then I heard - NOTHING. In the second week of November - a full month after placing the order and putting down a $2000 deposit, I started pinging the dealership for an ETA and they clearly had no clue. The first answers to my rather patient queries were "well, I just picked up a report that was handy on someone's desk and it goes through December and I don't see your car there." I got a couple of answers like this and then I contacted the owner's son, who is the sales manager. I basically said that "I ordered a $65000 car and this is not a $65000 car experience." He got things straight and all has been well since. In the end, I got the whole story. They are a small dealership, their allocation is small and based on trim level, and they indeed did not have an Inscription allocation available for December delivery. Further, the were not even in a position to place the order for the next allocation with Volvo corporate until early November. They could have told me all of that within a week of our order but did not - probably just because they did not think of it (because they are no a big, luxury car dealership). So, finally, a couple of weeks ago, the sales folks at the dealership filled us in fully, gave us a SCREEN SHOT of the ETA and order codes from Volvo corporate (perfect in every way), and are updating us weekly (plenty frequently at this point). Our current dealer ETA is the last week of January - within the original timeframe.

Anyway - if you are in the USA - ask the dealership about their allocations and when THEY placed your order with Volvo (vs. when you placed your order with them). You will probably learn something, anyway.
thanks for the detailed story. my experience sounds a lot like yours. ordered my xc90 (t6 mm+ w/ vision) in the first half of november from a rather large dealership in chicagoland. prior to ordering i was told the wait time was approx. 3-4 months and that they only have a single order allocation left. three weeks later i'm being told the order was placed ( don't know when ) and they confirmed it's in the Volvo ordering system but they haven't received the ETA yet. i take all their info with a grain of salt and am even thinking they haven't ordered it yet due to lack of available allocations. they could've made it look like i need to hurry ordering ( single allocation ) to get my $2k deposit to count toward their monthly sales goals and will probably place an order when new allocations are available, but i may be wrong as well. like most of us who special ordered i can't wait to get my hands on the vehicle but this lack of info about ETA really makes me impatient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.